Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

Hey guys, I've got a couple of little problems with my car.

The first and most immediate is a starting issue. Sometimes my car will die as soon as I start it up, even if I rev it right after it cranks. Once this happens it takes a couple tries before it will start again. Sometimes the alarm light will flash as I'm turning the key over, at which point I get out of the car, lock it, and open it again and try once more to start it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. After it dies it will just turn over and not crank.

I know it has nothing to do with the battery, or alternator, or fuel pump. I'm thinking it might be a fuel filter or some other thing I'm unaware of.

The second, and slightly humorous, problem is the back on my driver seat will push forward automatically on its own at random. The seatbelt is not hitting the button, nor am I or anything else. All I can think of is that somewhere in the seat it is making a connection if I sit on it at a certain angle. It's weird. Sometimes it happens after I park the car and get out, I'll come back and my seat will be all the way forward. Sometimes it happens while I'm driving. I feel like my car is trying to kill me, haha.

I drive a 2001 c70 coupe 2.3L with heated seats. Any info will be much appreciated!

Cactus

Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggestions: Replace fuel filter. Disconnect battery ground for 10 min, to reset computer brain. Check under seats for wiring/connector problem. Check seat switches. Remove computers from enclosure & reseat. Reseat seat fuses.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Changed the fuel filter and haven't had any issues so far... I'll update after a few days though. It usually happens at least once a day.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Well, after a few days it has happened less often, but it's still happening. So obviously the problem wasn't the fuel filter. I'm wondering if the B+ cable could have anything to do with this. Anyone have an idea?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 AM

What is your fuel pressure?

Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Default car not turning over

Hi, what did you finally find was the reason your C70 would not turn over? I have a 2004 and it's doing the same thing. I could jiggle the positive battery cable and it would start but finally changed it out and it's still doing it intermittently. Once it starts, it's fine.

Once I get this issue fixed, I'm selling it. Beautiful car but nothing like my solid 1999 S70.
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Well, my car never had trouble actually turning over, it just wouldn't start. I still haven't figured it out though, it wasn't the fuel filter. It does it just as often after I changed it. I still haven't gotten around to checking the fuel pressure. I'm not sure what else could cause it either...

Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Ok, so I know it's been a while since starting this thread, but I think I might have figured out why it wouldn't (and still doesn't, sometimes) start. My CEL has always been on saying something about the catalytic converter and from what I've heard, if they're clogged up, it can cause your car to stall out. Anyone else know anything about this? Another reason I feel that my cat might be the root of it is because I recently sprang a bad exhaust leak, probably the manifold gasket, which would have been caused by the extra pressure of the clogged cat. Here's a video of my current exhaust sound.

Also, I was wondering if you guys think it's safe to drive like this. I heard you don't want to leave it for too long or you'll damage your valves, but wanted to hear some other opinions from actual Volvo people.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Check your utube inbox. No it's not safe, u can do expensive engine damage. Not trying to scare u

Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM

So.... turns out it wasn't my exhaust manifold gasket. It's much worse than that....

Do you still have that DP for sale Vmax? =p

Last edited by Cactuslegs; 07-09-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Default Update!

So, I've been working on my exhaust for a while now. I ended up buying a welder and trying to make my own, inspired by fellow forum-goer "pantyeater".

Parts it is made of

This is what I've been riding around with.

I thought the original reason my car was having starting issues is because of the cat going bad and busting the downpipe, as shown earlier in the thread, but I've been riding for a while now with a new downpipe and cat and it didn't really help. In fact, now my car won't start at all. Here's a video:

01 C70 Throttle Body Noise - YouTube

Does anyone know anything about that noise? It has me really stumped. I never noticed it before, but it may be something that the car is supposed to do, I just don't know. The engine will rotate fine, and rarely, start for just a second, just to die again. I was even able to pop the clutch rolling downhill and start it, but again, it just died.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 PM

Whoa dude I didn't even see post number 11 till now.. I sold that dp somewhere around that time.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. What you can do is start a thread on matthewsvolvosite dot com and Volvospeed's Facebook page. You'll get alot more help.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 PM

This is only a guess, but based on your video I think it's your ETM (electronic throttle module)

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=50657

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...acement-48974/

There's a place called xemodex that sells the parts needed to replace your failed unit. I hear its a one time replacement, meaning the xemodex unit should last you a decade or more.

Best wishes and good luck.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 PM

More reading for ya:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=41904

Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) - Xemodex Inc. | Xemodex Inc.

Call them up and they'll get you sorted. :-)

Oh, and your custom dp looks good lol

Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the replies Vmax, and no worries about not seeing the earlier post. I think by the time I posted, it was too late haha.

I had the same thought that it was my ETM going bad, and actually, the one in the video was one that I had got from a junkyard s60, I guess I forgot to mention that ><. Even though it was going to require a reprogramming by the dealer, I figured I'd give it a shot, but the new one was still making the same noise.

Some of that reading you gave me suggested the mass airflow sensor could be the culprit as well, so I went ahead and picked one up today, and much to my surprise, she cranked right up! Even though the throttle body was still making that funny noise when you turned the key, the car drove better than ever! There's no fluctuation in the idle speed either, which is awesome. Now I can finish my exhaust, yay

Old 12-28-2013, 08:22 PM

Very good. At least you're mobile again :-)