Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Water Drainage Concern - 2009 C70

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Drainage Concern - 2009 C70

Hello. I was removing my license plate light bulb assemblies. One bulb was burned out and the other was as dim as the sun, as seen from Pluto. The removal was a piece of cake!

However, as I began removing the first screw, water started dripping off the screw and once the screw was completely removed, a little stream started. The second screw did the same as I began to removed it, (two screws per assembly). The other light assembly responded the exact same way with water coming out of the two screw holes. If I would have been prepared and able to collect the water, there would have been over a pint.

I know this water should not be retained in the trunk lid. Has anyone encountered this with their Volvo? If so, what seemed to correct the problem? If not prior experience, any suggestions?

Thank you, Jack

Old 10-05-2017, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Drain all the water you can from the trunk
2. Have a hose and spray some water on specific parts where the trunk meets the 3rd roof section and the body. Try to locate it where it enters, most common places are in the intersection between 3rd roof-trunk and body. There is butyl there to keep it water tight but this may sometimes not be enough so you need to re-seal. The gasket that runs along the back of the 3rd roof shell can also be leaking, and also the seals around the trunklid.

Take care of this ASAP if you get water in the lower part of the trunk you might end up with a huge bill replacing the hydraulic pump for the roof. It is located just behind the rear seat and sits in a whell where it can easliy accumulate water and damage electrics.

Water leaks between the "fake lamps" the lamps that are not illuminated on the trunk is not that uncommon and also the spoiler that sits in between.