Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 2022 XC60 Recharge R-Design T8: Loves & Hates

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 06:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2022 XC60 Recharge R-Design T8: Loves & Hates

New to this forum, but I expect to be a pretty active member. Ok, so I have been living with my brand new '22 XC60 Recharge R-Design T8 for 1 week and about 250 miles. This is my 2nd XC60 (previous one was a 2011 T6) and I have to say that it is a vastly superior upgrade compared to my old XC60. That said I have a few loves & hates with this car that I want to share with you (oh, I'm sure this list will change over time):

Loves:
  • Looks - exterior & interior
  • Fit, Finish & Quality
  • Comfort (I'm 6'1" 235lbs)
  • Power - 400bHP (whaaaat!!!)
  • Handling
  • Comfort
  • Wife loves how she looks driving it (it's a chick thing)
Hates:
  • No place to store your phone
  • Phone charging pad look cheap and seems like an after thought
  • Limited battery capacity
  • No metrics to let me know how efficiently I'm driving
  • Limited instrument screen functionality is a joke!
  • Volvo car app is a sad excuse of an app!!! Does not tell me how much charge I have unless I'm charging (and even then the ETA to battery full is off)
Will be taking a 300 mile round trip to visit family in the coming days. I'm sure this list will be updated upon my return. What are your love/hates?

Old 10-11-2021, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

My love/hates:

1) my son owns my S40 now. (love)
2) I still do repairs/pay for parts on the S40 (hate)
3) Car is a 2000 with 140K miles and still a daily driver (love)
4) Antenna broke, son uses his phone to stream music through the tape player (hate)
5) Verizon just upgraded me to unlimited data (cause I'm over 55 so they think I won't suck up the MBs) (love)
6) Wife wants a Subaru electric for her next car. (undecided on that one...)
7) Daughter permanently retired our 850T wagon when she inherited a car. Had 250K miles with PCV issues - love and hate on this one.

Cheers.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I did notice that the charging display in the app has started working over the last few days. Still a little bit of miss. Sometimes it does not update when it completes so it still shows some charging time to go. Luckily, I got the ChargePoint home flex charger, and it's app shows lots of detail.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:09 AM

@bamapookie I subscribed to ChargePoint and use their charger which is less than a mile from my home. Since I now work remote and drive the XC60 less than 20 miles a day, regular 120v current works to supply a trickle charge when the XC60 is not in use. Will be doing a major remodel next year which will include a new garage into which I will put a proper 240v charge port. I do appreciate how the Charge Point app supplies detailed charging metrics and alerts whenever I use one of their chargers. Just wish the Volvo app would supply a more detailed set of metrics, and not just an indicator of whether or not the car is charging along with a mostly inaccurate estimate of time to completion.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

[QUOTE=TK-421;503360]
Loves:
  • Looks - exterior & interior
  • Fit, Finish & Quality
  • Comfort (I'm 6'1" 235lbs)
  • Power - 400bHP (whaaaat!!!)
  • Handling
  • Comfort
  • Wife loves how she looks driving it (it's a chick thing)
Hates:
  • No place to store your phone
  • Phone charging pad look cheap and seems like an after thought
  • Limited battery capacity
  • No metrics to let me know how efficiently I'm driving
  • Limited instrument screen functionality is a joke!
  • Volvo car app is a sad excuse of an app!!! Does not tell me how much charge I have unless I'm charging (and even then the ETA to battery full is off)
Since mine is a 2021 T8 W / Sensus VS Google, my apps are a bit different (and all working).
Loves:
Looks - You said it well, I totally agree
Fit & finish quality are on a par of some of the finest I've owned or even better. Got to love that bank vault sound when firmly shutting the door (any of them)
Comfort - the opposite of you at 5ft 5in / and still love the seat extension for both sides
Power - I used to have a daily use car like Outback for instance and a "when it's time to play" car like my Z51 'Vette or Camaro SS. Now the firm yet smooth ride of the XC60 and electric motor of T8 version together have me with just one car in garage
Handling - It's a very heavy car yet it handles and brakes very respectably for a car of it's size and weight. Love the quietness and solid feel on the road
Comfort - In all of the BMW's, M/B's, Audi's, Lexus models I've owned, none of them have been more comfortable over a 6-8 hour drive. Some tho were easier to enter and exit
I love the comments my friends and neighbors have offered. I think the car makes me look 'Smarter' than I might have been from time to time re: choice of car
Phone - my Samsung Note 9 and presumably next one fits snugly between rails on charging pad. Charger works well and fit is good,

No Hates just Constructive Criticisms:
Limited battery capacity - I agree. I had a Honda Clarity PHEV. Was a very nice Accord sized sedan w/great tech but died when someone backed into it at 40 mph. Would go between 40-50 miles on a charge and burned regular gas. That said, I'm averaging over 71mpg since purchase w/suburban driving. Will be going to Raleigh in about 3 weeks so will have a travel report after that. My 2021 allows for almost any type of calculation but it's confusing to switch back & forth. I'll stay like I am until trip.
Screen functionality - There is so much you can do with it, going to different functions while driving can become an issue. Not sure that is a complaint but hope I don't get caught over my ski tips checking a function while driving
Volvo car app - I wish my model had the ability to set the 'start charging time'. It's just dumb not including it. The European models of the T8 have had it for some time. I understand it's now available in the 2022's w/Google. Maybe we'll get it ??? Other than that, I'm learning my way around it and it seems functional in most respects.

I bought mine the end of May when I was able to get a VERY good purchase price and more than original dealer cost for my two year old 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited due to lack of inventory. I was surprised to do all of that and even get color and features (mostly) I wanted. I even got the dealer to use their shop to move my dash cam from the RAV into the Volvo and wire it in for me as part of the deal. I already had a Level II charging device in my garage. I had purchased it when I had the Honda Clarity. I used an electrician and also got a city permit for it. If the charging timer does not integrate into the app by end of year, I may buy another Level II device that has one built in to replace the one I have.
See my signature below to understand my past w/cars

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-13-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-14-2021, 01:04 PM

300 Mile trip update:
Last weekend took the '22 XC60 Recharge R-Design on a 300 mile trip (150 mi each way) and I have to say that the XC60 performed brilliantly in terms of highway manners, composure and power (when needed of course). I must admit that the TM/TA metrics really offer sparse driving performance metrics, which again is disappointing for a car at this price point.

Of note, while cruise control was engaged I noticed an icon next to the battery consumption meter that is not in the owners manual. I did not manage to take a picture of it, but will in my follow-up post. The icon had a lightning bolt and what looked like a road next to the battery. I know the lightning bolt means charge, but what did the combo bolt and road mean?

Also, I noticed that the battery never really showed as depleted when available miles showed 0. Does the XC60 hold power in reserve?

Thanks,

Old 10-14-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by TK-421
300 Mile trip update:
Last weekend took the '22 XC60 Recharge R-Design on a 300 mile trip (150 mi each way) and I have to say that the XC60 performed brilliantly in terms of highway manners, composure and power (when needed of course). I must admit that the TM/TA metrics really offer sparse driving performance metrics, which again is disappointing for a car at this price point.

Of note, while cruise control was engaged I noticed an icon next to the battery consumption meter that is not in the owners manual. I did not manage to take a picture of it, but will in my follow-up post. The icon had a lightning bolt and what looked like a road next to the battery. I know the lightning bolt means charge, but what did the combo bolt and road mean?

Also, I noticed that the battery never really showed as depleted when available miles showed 0. Does the XC60 hold power in reserve?

Thanks,
Sounds good and about what I expect when I go to Raleigh next month. Tho mine is a 2021 and yours is a 2022, I think the battery gauge reads similarly. When operating in Hybrid mode and most of the charge is gone, it will constantly maintain a little blue color (charge) at the far left of the gauge, it won't run completely down unless you run out of gas then .....

Did you read in the manual that if you're planning any trip longer than the battery charge is capable of in 'pure', you should set your destination in the NAV. Then the computers will take over managing the whole gas vs battery thing for best economy. I've tried it and they have it down to a science, really works great. I think that part is the same between our cars.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:52 PM

@Cruiter That must be it. I did indeed set my destination in the Nav, and did notice that there was ~15% blue left in the gage even though the indicated remaining miles was 0. Explains what the icon I mentioned in my last post must be.

For those of you who're playing along at home:
Drive mode: Hybrid
Transmission setting: D
Nav computer setting: to destination (distance from home 150mi)

Old 02-17-2022, 09:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TK-421
300 Mile trip update:
So what kind of gas consumption (mpg) are you seeing on long road trips? I'm also curious if there's much difference between not setting your destination in the navigation menu and setting it there... (potential XC60 T8 buyer here)

Old 02-17-2022, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cometguy
So what kind of gas consumption (mpg) are you seeing on long road trips? I'm also curious if there's much difference between not setting your destination in the navigation menu and setting it there... (potential XC60 T8 buyer here)
There is a Volvo trick to this. Best way to explain it is for you to open your manual on your computer (so you can print it out), and while in the navigation section do a search for 'waypoint'. A '22 and up may work differently than my '21 and prior with Sensus vs Google nav. Anyway, I can create a destination by 1st setting it for home (even if I'm there), then clicking on 'waypoint' for my destination. The computers will figure the distance, speeds of traffic, hills, stops, and manage the battery vs gas to get me home again with the best possible economy. It works pretty well. On a 120-mile round trip from home to Athens GA, over the last 3 trips, I've averaged 48-49 MPG on each trip. You have to do that in Hybrid mode, and I can tell from the start that it doesn't just go with battery till it's drained, it mixes more with gas from the start. Though it's tempting, I don't use the 400HP for acceleration either LOL.

The more I drive this car, the more I praise it. Far as I can tell, the only hiccup so far is my electric heater that works when driving in Pure has given up the ghost, but I drive mostly in Hybrid anyway so engine heating the heater core is fine. I've read on here it's the one weak point and they are on backorder from Sweden. I'll take care of it when I get my Annual. Did I say yet, I really like this car ???

Old 02-17-2022, 10:57 AM

There is a Volvo trick to this. Best way to explain it is for you to open your manual on your computer (so you can print it out), and while in the navigation section do a search for 'waypoint'. A '22 and up may work differently than my '21 and prior with Sensus vs Google nav. Anyway, I can create a destination by 1st setting it for home (even if I'm there), then clicking on 'waypoint' for my destination. The computers will figure the distance, speeds of traffic, hills, stops, and manage the battery vs gas to get me home again with the best possible economy. It works pretty well. On a 120-mile round trip from home to Athens GA, over the last 3 trips, I've averaged 48-49 MPG on each trip. You have to do that in Hybrid mode, and I can tell from the start that it doesn't just go with battery till it's drained, it mixes more with gas from the start. Though it's tempting, I don't use the 400HP for acceleration either LOL.

The more I drive this car, the more I praise it. Far as I can tell, the only hiccup so far is my electric heater that works when driving in Pure has given up the ghost, but I drive mostly in Hybrid anyway so engine heating the heater core is fine. I've read on here it's the one weak point and they are on backorder from Sweden. I'll take care of it when I get my Annual. Did I say yet, I really like this car ???

Old 02-17-2022, 02:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter

I'm glad that you're really happy with your XC60 T8. From the sounds of what you're saying, does this mean that you put the car into adaptive cruise control with a low speed limit (like 60 mph)? That's the only thing that makes sense to me, from how you word this; it's not like Tesla, where you put the thing on "Auto Pilot", I'm assuming... And I'm only considering the forthcoming "Extended Range" XC60, most likely a 2023 version because I'll be specially-ordering it if I get one.

I normally don't use my car's navigation to map out a route for me, as I usually map out my own route in advance from my computer from home, taking into account things that I want to stop and see along the way on long road trips. I do use my cars' maps, but not usually any instructions provided by the car, and I'm a fast driver (though I do use ACC on long road trips to lower fatigue). The only time I'll use instructions by the car is when I am in an unfamiliar place doing driving on tricky local roads (cities, in particular) -- not highways; so I sometimes use the car's navigation directions only for the last couple of miles in a long day of driving, as I look for my hotel for the night. So I'm very interested in how the XC60 T8 does in terms of gas consumption in terms of long-distance, 70-mph driving both with and without ACC -- as most people drive.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to include my one major complaint (hate) regarding my 2021 XC60 T8 PHEV..........all of my recent vehicles (peer of Volvo) have automatically switched from the back-up camera to a front bumper view camera at low speeds, typically when parking a car. These cameras would typically disable once the car reached a pre-set speed. It's ridiculous to have to battle switching between the rear versus overhead camera views in order to be certain of the car's accurate location. I'd hope that this could be achieved via a software modification. Perhaps someone who monitors these threads has the ability to interface with Volvo IT.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Docrog
I wanted to include my one major complaint (hate) regarding my 2021 XC60 T8 PHEV..........all of my recent vehicles (peer of Volvo) have automatically switched from the back-up camera to a front bumper view camera at low speeds, typically when parking a car. These cameras would typically disable once the car reached a pre-set speed. It's ridiculous to have to battle switching between the rear versus overhead camera views in order to be certain of the car's accurate location. I'd hope that this could be achieved via a software modification. Perhaps someone who monitors these threads has the ability to interface with Volvo IT.
This doesn't make sense to me in that we have the same cars. When I'm backing up and the rear camera is on, when I go back to drive and start driving forward, the camera does go off after a few forward feet and screen shows NAV (or whatever was one it prior to rev). I see no advantage to front bumper view at that point, w/s is better. I do use/like the front bumper or overhead view when pulling into a parking lot w/high curbs to keep front end from scraping.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:52 AM

I'm glad that you're really happy with your XC60 T8. From the sounds of what you're saying, does this mean that you put the car into adaptive cruise control with a low speed limit (like 60 mph)? That's the only thing that makes sense to me, from how you word this; it's not like Tesla, where you put the thing on "Auto Pilot", I'm assuming... And I'm only considering the forthcoming "Extended Range" XC60, most likely a 2023 version because I'll be specially-ordering it if I get one.

I normally don't use my car's navigation to map out a route for me, as I usually map out my own route in advance from my computer from home, taking into account things that I want to stop and see along the way on long road trips. I do use my cars' maps, but not usually any instructions provided by the car, and I'm a fast driver (though I do use ACC on long road trips to lower fatigue). The only time I'll use instructions by the car is when I am in an unfamiliar place doing driving on tricky local roads (cities, in particular) -- not highways; so I sometimes use the car's navigation directions only for the last couple of miles in a long day of driving, as I look for my hotel for the night. So I'm very interested in how the XC60 T8 does in terms of gas consumption in terms of long-distance, 70-mph driving both with and without ACC -- as most people drive.
My mileage I quoted is over a round trip of around 120+ miles. I did not go 'super' slow but set the cruise usually 5-10mph over the speed limit. On a trip to Raleigh last Nov., it averaged 39 mpg. I was hitting speeds around 80 tho, drag always kills efficiency. The 'pilot' part of our cruise is when you turn on things like auto-correct in the steering. It won't take you to your destination though like Tesla. It's a safety feature to help you stay in the lines (or hit the brakes). It did help me once while I was fishing in the console :-(

I guess that makes me human and grateful for the help.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
This doesn't make sense to me in that we have the same cars. When I'm backing up and the rear camera is on, when I go back to drive and start driving forward, the camera does go off after a few forward feet and screen shows NAV (or whatever was one it prior to rev). I see no advantage to front bumper view at that point, w/s is better. I do use/like the front bumper or overhead view when pulling into a parking lot w/high curbs to keep front end from scraping.
I must disagree. It is often extremely helpful to have the parking camera automatically alternate between rear and front views when pulling into/out of a very tight space, especially while parallel parking. This type of system was present in my previous M-B E450 as well as in my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe. The camera systems were disabled at the same driving speed that causes the Volvo's back-up camera to go off. I think it's unfortunate if you've never had that feature, as there would be no way for you to have a valid comparison for your stated position. It seems to me that Volvo could easily accomplish adding this helpful feature (present in competitor models) if they were so inclined. Take my word for it: if you'd become used to this feature, you would absolutely miss not having it on the Volvo.

Last edited by Docrog; 02-18-2022 at 01:32 PM.