Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 2023 XC60 recharge set charging %

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 11:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2023 XC60 recharge set charging %

Newbie XC60 Recharge question only 3 days in.
Slowly learning the electronics/settings

My questions are:
I see people recommending only charge to 90% unless you’re taking a long trip.
I can’t find where this setting is and is this good advice.

Currently I’m on regular 110 so it does take a while. I don’t drive that much and just plug in when I’m home. Are there any issue just leaving plugged in all the time or should I unplug when it charges?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

We have a 2022 XC60 Recharge ER since last May. About 6,500 miles (mostly all electric around town but a few longer trips thrown in). We’re retired but usually do use it every day although it might be only for a few miles. I’m not a tech guy car wise or computer wise so this is just my experience. I also saw something about not charging to 100% which seemed ridiculous to me since we’re still only getting 35 miles or so of electric and if you can’t take advantage of all of it what’s the point. Anyway, we also charge at 110. We typically charge it to 100% and don’t worry about leaving it plugged in until we’re heading out. So far so good. Good luck with you new car. They do drive beautifully.

The following users liked this post:
Saver (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the reply, we also are retired I just drive in pure mode around town and plug in when I get home.
Thinking about getting a 220V plug installed and maybe rigging a pulley system from the ceiling so I don't have to wrap up the cord after unplugging it's on the opposite wall.
I've had a Prius for the last 12 years, not a plug in so this part is all new to me. I've been told that leaving it plugged in is not a problem so that's what I'll do.
I just can't find the battery charge limit setting so it may be something on all electric or another model probably a service question when I go in. Right 10K will probably be next year LOL.

Thanks again

Old 01-30-2023, 09:56 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The advice about only charging to 90% is probably more applicable to full electric vehicles than it is to plug-in hybrids like the XC60 Recharge. Full EV's have no combustion engine to back up their range, so they allow you to use much more of the true capacity of the battery and then provide a setting to allow you to charge to a limit like 80%-90% to extend battery lifespan.

Plug in vehicles like the XC60 Recharge are designed for full battery cycles (fully discharged and fully charged) much more often and as such they usually have a substantial built in buffer to battery capacity and do not allow you to charge into that range. In the case of the newer Recharge vehicles, the batteries are ~ 18.8 kWh capacity, but you can only use about 14.9 kWh. This is a 4kWh buffer - about 20%.

So, it's perfectly fine to fully charge your XC60 Recharge and in fact there is no setting of which I'm aware to limit the charge because the design does not require this.

Enjoy!

Last edited by philipm785; 01-30-2023 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Saver (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 01:49 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts
Exclamation Regarding 'NOT' charging to 100%

I have a '21 T8 XC60. It's my 3rd plug-in Hybrid. Re: not charging to 100% is true but not something you have to worry about. The computers do it for you. 1st of all, when we charge the car by plugging it into a power supply, that's exactly what we're doing. The actual charger is in the car itself and the computers control the charging time (unless you disconnect it prior to it finishing the charge). The computer will not let the car accept more than it should. For you to stop the charge prior, you have to use your key to perform the 'unlock' procedure as the manual states. This way, the car itself actually stops the charge rather than you 'pulling the plug'. It's one of the reasons you have to perform the unlock to remove the plug.
I've recently moved but brought my 240v charging device with me. I just haven't had an electrician install the panel breaker and female receiver for it on the wall yet. Until then, it's 120v for about 5+ hours until 'Watson' says he's full LOL. I much prefer 2+ hours . Most of my drives around where I live are covered round trip by the batteries but sometimes, I go out again. I've had my MPG odometer to almost 800 miles MPG that way .

So, plug it in until full. The car will decide when that is. And then you should get an alert on your phone app that it's at what it calls full, but in reality, it's probably somewhere around 90% give or take. I hope that explains your concern.
BTW, I love my car and have had '0' issues. I did have the HVAC electric heater device replaced under warranty as well as the A1084 Service Action Software Download for the 2021-2022 PHEV (T8) models. That is for some type of risk on the electrical drive due to high electromagnetic stress on the Inverter E-machine Power Unit Board at high torque operation. Not positive about what that actually did but I have noticed that the occasional perceived 'drag' under acceleration, then high acceleration is much more normal and smoother now. So for those models if you haven't received your recall letter yet, you should probably not accelerate hard from stop until you have the procedure done.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:39 PM

Thanks what you say makes sense. What charging device do you have.