Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC40 C40 Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C40 Steering Wheel Vibration

Hi,
My Volvo c40 when i drive around 65 miles per hour when i accelerate the steering wheel has a vibration, the vibration feels like more than a phone vibration, less than a massage device vibration, Does anyone has this problem experience?

Old 01-10-2023, 11:27 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Could it be a speed limit warning of some kind? Doesn't sound like mechanical vibration, especially if it only happens when you try to accelerate past 65mph.

Is it similar to the vibration you get if lane departure warning is active and you drift across lanes?

Old 01-10-2023, 08:44 PM

Today i drove with speed limit warning off, steering assist off, lane keeping aid off, and road sign information off, but still have same problem.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:36 AM

Clutching at straws here - are you by any chance using the orange "care key"? If so, there may be a separate speed limit function in the profile settings. I've never tried it so no idea how it works and the Volvo documentation doesn't describe it very clearly, but perhaps it could exhibit that behavior? What happens if you keep accelerating beyond 65 mph?

Old 01-15-2023, 08:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm using the orange key in my purse because it's easier to see. The Care setting is turned off. Sounds like a good theory for Johnny's issue though.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by johny68
Hi,
My Volvo c40 when i drive around 65 miles per hour when i accelerate the steering wheel has a vibration, the vibration feels like more than a phone vibration, less than a massage device vibration, Does anyone has this problem experience?
I have the same issue. Dealership said "I don't feel anything". I think it's the motor mounts.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

motor mounts would present with power - so if you lift off the gas, the vibrations would reduce. More likely it would be wheels or axles. Any recent experience hitting a large pot hole? A quick test would be to do a front/rear tire rotation to see if the vibration changes. As to axles, you can inspect for any torn boots. Final thought - invite the service manager to go for a ride with you so you can point out the vibration with both of you in the car.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:31 AM

they do present themeselves with power for me. Since day 1 of owning the car. Letting off the accelerator reduces de vibrations.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

good to know - that would move up motor mounts and axles (and drive shaft bearing if you have AWD) up on the list of suspects. One way to check motor mounts is to "power brake" the engine to see if there's any unusual or excessive motion. ie open the hood, and stand to the side to watch the engine. Have an assistant start the car, then with the brakes on full, drop in to Drive. (make sure the car is pointing away from a garage etc in case they let the car lurch). did is move with the initial drop into drive? Next, with the brakes on full, apply some gas to rev the engine. Does the engine roll or lift up? If yes, inspect the motor mount/torque rods where you saw the motion. This doesn't always give a direct clue but it is something you can do for free :-)

Old 02-07-2023, 09:27 AM

This is a recharge model. No "engine" or drive shaft.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:12 AM

Hello,

I have a C40 with this issue. my dealership recognized the vibration so far we have rebalanced and aligned tires, replaced the front drive axels, and got a whole new front motor from Sweden and installed it. The issue persists. The car is drivable but I can't stand driving it as I'm a commuter and spend 2 hours a day driving. Volvo engineering is attempting to find a solution and I'm still waiting for an answer. Sad part is volvo says they all do this. The XC40 Recharge allegedly doesn't have this problem. Maybe we should have bought that one?

Old 02-16-2023, 06:11 AM

It does, my xc40 does it

Old 02-16-2023, 08:41 AM

@Dnikolica - I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. Depending on where you live, you may be eligible for a buy back under local "lemon laws". If they've made three unsuccessful repair attempts on this issue and/or the car has been out of service for an extended period of time, you may meet the requirements. If you'd like to get rid of the car, I think a call to an attorney may prove worthwhile.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:38 PM
Default XC40 recharge steering vibration!

Any Luck with this? My newly leased XC40 recharge has intolerable vibration and the dealership is trying to tell me that all the electric models vibrate, as if that somehow makes it OK.

Originally Posted by Dnikolica
Hello,

I have a C40 with this issue. my dealership recognized the vibration so far we have rebalanced and aligned tires, replaced the front drive axels, and got a whole new front motor from Sweden and installed it. The issue persists. The car is drivable but I can't stand driving it as I'm a commuter and spend 2 hours a day driving. Volvo engineering is attempting to find a solution and I'm still waiting for an answer. Sad part is volvo says they all do this. The XC40 Recharge allegedly doesn't have this problem. Maybe we should have bought that one?

Old 04-08-2023, 02:44 PM

Volvo car Steering Wheel Vibration issue, Volvo can not and won't fix it.
I brought my Volvo C40 to a dealership for the vibration issue 5 times, and both the dealer mechanic and manager, as well as a Volvo engineer, have experienced and acknowledged the vibration issue I've been having. However, despite contacting Volvo about the issue, they have stopped replying to my emails, because they don't want to fix it.
I recommend every one have the same Steering Wheel Vibration issue file complaint on bbb.org and local Lemon Law (find the link below), each state lemon law is different.

Volvo Card bbb.org
https://www.bbb.org/us/nj/mahwah/pro...-0221-29002860

Lemon law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law

Old 04-12-2023, 02:20 PM

So, here is the situation, I leased a 2023 XC40 Recharge on March 25th. At this point they still have the car and are trying to fix it. They say that Volvo engineering is involved and have given me a loaner to use until my car is fixed. At least everyone is on the same page that this is an issue. I'll let you know how it goes. It's now been about 2.5 weeks since I picked up the car. Good luck to you. Get Volvo Cars USA involved. Open a case number.

Originally Posted by johny68
Volvo car Steering Wheel Vibration issue, Volvo can not and won't fix it.
I brought my Volvo C40 to a dealership for the vibration issue 5 times, and both the dealer mechanic and manager, as well as a Volvo engineer, have experienced and acknowledged the vibration issue I've been having. However, despite contacting Volvo about the issue, they have stopped replying to my emails, because they don't want to fix it.
I recommend every one have the same Steering Wheel Vibration issue file complaint on bbb.org and local Lemon Law (find the link below), each state lemon law is different.

Volvo Card bbb.org
https://www.bbb.org/us/nj/mahwah/pro...-0221-29002860

Lemon law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law

Old 04-12-2023, 03:12 PM

If it becomes necessary, you can initiate a lemon law buyback claim in many states once the vehicle has been out of service for a certain number of days even if there haven't technically been three repair attempts. Hopefully they can fix it and that won't be necessary.

Old 04-12-2023, 03:25 PM

Yeah,
They've agreed to either provide me with a loaner until it's fixed or buy me out of the lease. It's a waiting game at this point.
Cheers

Old 04-13-2023, 09:07 AM

Great to hear that they're treating you well and are willing to buy out the lease if needed. That speaks well of them. Good luck getting it all resolved.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:24 AM

I experienced the same...Just bought a brand new C40, and the vibration was noticeable immediately after taking it home, but only at highway speeds...around 75 mph to be exact. I also noticed that the rear view mirror image was blurry, meaning the vibration traveled beyond the wheel and blurred the mirror. Like yours, the vibration was very high frequency, almost like an electric buzz, but definitely noticeable in the wheel. Finally, I had a mechanic from Volvo drive the car with me and he said he definitely felt it and that it "wasn't normal." Wheels, tires, rotors were all brand new and checked to be fine. Volvo got back to the service team and said that they have a "problem" with this issue and are still looking for a resolution...no fix in sight yet. It also happened on a few XC40 recharge models as well.

Quick Reply: XC40 C40 Steering Wheel Vibration