Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 No remote start of ICE

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No remote start of ICE

Hi Guys,

My 2022 XC60 T6 Recharge (ER) won't remote start ICE and local dealer says that this is normal because the car is fitted with a High Voltage coolant Heater (HVCH) so it can only heat electrically.

I don't really believe this, because when hybrid battery is low, there is no way to pre-heat the car. This seems ridiculous to me, especially because I have the option in the app. When I choose to remote activate climate, the app asks me if I want to start the engine. I choose Yes and is validated by face-id/pin, then it validates that the car is locked and there is no key in the car. Finally it states that the car is started. Car confirms by flashing the indicator lights and then nothing happens...

However, when I unlock the car and enter, there is a message stating that the vehicle was remote started. It surely looks to me like everything worked as expected, except that the ICE didn't come on.
I am aware that remote start is only available when the car is not connected to a charging station.

Hopefully someone here with similar car can confirm or deny that remote start should start the ICE

Last edited by herasmussen; 12-07-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:40 PM
Default Known issue with HVCH

Originally Posted by herasmussen
Hi Guys,

My 2022 XC60 T6 Recharge (ER) won't remote start ICE and local dealer says that this is normal because the car is fitted with a High Voltage coolant Heater (HVCH) so it can only heat electrically.

I don't really believe this, because when hybrid battery is low, there is no way to pre-heat the car. This seems ridiculous to me, especially because I have the option in the app. When I choose to remote activate climate, the app asks me if I want to start the engine. I choose Yes and is validated by face-id/pin, then it validates that the car is locked and there is no key in the car. Finally it states that the car is started. Car confirms by flashing the indicator lights and then nothing happens...

However, when I unlock the car and enter, there is a message stating that the vehicle was remote started. It surely looks to me like everything worked as expected, except that the ICE didn't come on.
I am aware that remote start is only available when the car is not connected to a charging station.

Hopefully someone here with similar car can confirm or deny that remote start should start the ICE

I read elsewhere that there maybe a known issue with the HVCH failing. You might want to have your dealer check yours. They are back ordered. My 2022 XC60 Recharge starts fine and heats when plugged in or in ICE mode. The only issue I am currently experiencing is the Volvo Cars App sometimes will report the car still heating when the car is not running. It seems to reset in the app by the next morning though and return to an off state.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:49 PM
Default Ensure doors appear locked in app before remote start

Originally Posted by Rexonald
Just attempted remote beginning through VOC application on my T8 and got a blunder expressing I couldn't remote beginning while connected. Is this a security component or something like that? Or on the other hand do I have to utilize preconditioning all things being equal? I have forever been befuddled about preconditioning.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
Make sure your doors show they are locked in the app first before you attempt the remote start. Sometimes the app shows the doors unlocked when they are really locked. Wait until the app shows the doors are locked then attempt the remote start

Old 12-23-2022, 09:27 PM
Default Update from another source

Update I ran across in another site regarding this issue. Might help someone until this is resolved

Old 12-25-2022, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by griznj
I read elsewhere that there maybe a known issue with the HVCH failing. You might want to have your dealer check yours. They are back ordered. My 2022 XC60 Recharge starts fine and heats when plugged in or in ICE mode. The only issue I am currently experiencing is the Volvo Cars App sometimes will report the car still heating when the car is not running. It seems to reset in the app by the next morning though and return to an off state.
Thanks, but my HVCH works quite well, I have heat as long as I have electric power, but when the battery is low, I want to be able to start the internal combustion engine to produce power and heat.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:15 AM
Default Next steps for me…

I confirmed that I am seeing the same conditions as you. Heat in electric/ Hybrid mode but no remote engine start to accelerate heat. I have been told by my service manager the HVCH handles the both the electric/hybrid heat AND the remote start. He is ordering and replacing the HVCH in my car. Hope this helps.