Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

S90 S60 recharge

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 recharge

I recently was looking at the S60 and I was amazed that seeing the recharge has 400 plus horsepower.
My question is what happens if you rately plug in the car?
Besides not getting that 20 or so miles on all electric without using any gas, what would be the impact.If I just filled it up with gas and drove it what I still get the full power, I assume the engine would recharge the battery and there would be no issue but wanted to see if I could get confirmation.
If there's an FAQ or something please point me in that direction, Volvo's website doesn't really say too much in that regard, I guess they want to encourage plugging in the car
thanks

Themush

Old 03-23-2022, 06:52 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Themush1326
I recently was looking at the S60 and I was amazed that seeing the recharge has 400 plus horsepower.
My question is what happens if you rately plug in the car?
Besides not getting that 20 or so miles on all electric without using any gas, what would be the impact.If I just filled it up with gas and drove it what I still get the full power, I assume the engine would recharge the battery and there would be no issue but wanted to see if I could get confirmation.
If there's an FAQ or something please point me in that direction, Volvo's website doesn't really say too much in that regard, I guess they want to encourage plugging in the car
thanks

Themush
The S60 T8 has same drive train as the XC60 T8 and the S90T8 and the XC90 T8. It's the Turbocharged & Supercharged 2L 4cyl, w/electric motor in rear axel. So in a word 'YES' with the gas and electric engines working together at full throttle you have up to 400 HP. And when you throttle down that way, hang on tight cause the car is fixing to go somewhere in a really big hurry . The other answer to your question is yes, because it's a Hybrid you can keep driving it w/o plugging it in. As a Hybrid, it will always charge the large battery pack (in the tunnel under the console) enough to keep some charge to use when it's needed for AWD. The big advantage is to charge before driving to give you some 'PURE' electric driving (much cheaper operation). Lots of info in the manual and great for insomniacs if you load it onto your phone and take it to bed for reading. If you don't plug it in at all, you'll probably limit your mileage generally to the mid 30's. I usually get over a 100mpg because being retired, most of my mileage is local and I leave home with it fully charged. Puts a smile on my face driving past those high Premium Gas prices LOL. I had a Level II charging station put into my garage. Pays for itself every day.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread bump from awhile ago!

So regarding this:

Originally Posted by Cruiter
[...] As a Hybrid, it will always charge the large battery pack (in the tunnel under the console) enough to keep some charge to use when it's needed for AWD. [...]
... on a long road trip, can the S60 stay in AWD drive mode for hours of miles continuously?
I realize that the mpg will suffer, but I'm unclear as to whether it will eventually revert to FWD.