Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC40 Volvo On Call/Volvo Cars App

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 09:40 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Volvo On Call/Volvo Cars App

Now that I got it "working" again, I have discovered this app needs a lot of work.

Here are some comments/concerns:

1) Notifications aren't working at all.
2) It seldom connects to the car, presumably by LTE. I usually just get timeouts or "Status unknown." I understand it uses AT&T mobile, which isn't good here, but:
3) I can't get it to connect to my WiFi at home. It seems to have a terrible WiFi antenna setup. So, I will add a mesh node in the garage to see if that helps.
4) There's no map to locate the vehicle.
5) No charge scheduling from the app (nor from the car of course).
6) Customer care wasn't of much help, because they are more familiar with the gas car version.

Just a few thoughts to start. Has anyone had better luck?

Thank you,

The following 2 users liked this post by Falcon73:
Kdzdoc (08-15-2021), rlboston (09-27-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 01:44 PM

I called Volvo Customer Care again and they advised the app is still being worked on and suggested not using it for now. Wow, and how long has the car been out?

The app isn't showing the % of charge for the vehicle, even when it's outside.

I'm still looking into adding a mesh node for super strong WiFi in the garage.

Status Unknown

Empty Charge Icon (Actual is 90%)

Is anyone else using the app or has everyone given up on it for now?

Old 07-19-2021, 03:10 PM
Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Volvo On Call App

I realize my app for the XC60 T8 is different from the XC40 app but it seems OK. I've complained to Volvo On Call they need to add the ability to start the charging at a pre-determined time such as heating the car at a pre-determined time. In Europe they have this feature and in most states here it's a big advantage for an electrified car owner. GA Power has pre-set my meter for different rates at different times. I used to be able to drive into the garage and plug in my Honda Clarity (PHEV) and it would start charging at 11PM when the rates changed to one cent per kwh. It's an incentive many states offer for moving to electric vehicles. I noticed the other day on Volvo's Corp page that feature is scheduled to be available for a down load sometime next year. They already have it in Europe. I installed a Level II power source in my garage a couple of years ago and can charge up in a little over 2.5 hours. But it's cheaper at night when the rate is only .1c per kwh vs 20.6c per kwh.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I realize my app for the XC60 T8 is different from the XC40 app but it seems OK. I've complained to Volvo On Call they need to add the ability to start the charging at a pre-determined time such as heating the car at a pre-determined time. In Europe they have this feature and in most states here it's a big advantage for an electrified car owner. GA Power has pre-set my meter for different rates at different times. I used to be able to drive into the garage and plug in my Honda Clarity (PHEV) and it would start charging at 11PM when the rates changed to one cent per kwh. It's an incentive many states offer for moving to electric vehicles. I noticed the other day on Volvo's Corp page that feature is scheduled to be available for a down load sometime next year. They already have it in Europe. I installed a Level II power source in my garage a couple of years ago and can charge up in a little over 2.5 hours. But it's cheaper at night when the rate is only .1c per kwh vs 20.6c per kwh.
Yeah, that app actually looks useful. I don't know what they can't get their act together on the app for the P8.

How much are your night rates? $0.10 per kWh or $.01 per kWh. In any case it's far cheaper than here!

SoCal Edison charges us:
  • $0.13 at "super" off-peak (10pm-8am)
  • $0.20 for regular off-peak (8am-2pm and 8pm to 10pm)
  • $0.53 per kWh for On-Peak (2pm-8pm). Weekdays only (this time slot is also regular $0.20 off-peak on weekends)
Yeah, you can see why scheduling is so important!

What website had that info about it coming next year? Sheesh it's July...

Last edited by Falcon73; 07-20-2021 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cruiter (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Falcon73
Yeah, that app actually looks useful. I don't know what they can't get their act together on the app for the P8.

How much are your night rates? $0.10 per kWh or $.01 per kWh. In any case it's far cheaper than here!

SoCal Edison charges us:
  • $0.13 at "super" off-peak (10pm-8am)
  • $0.20 for regular off-peak (8am-2pm and 8pm to 10pm)
  • $0.53 per kWh for On-Peak (2pm-8pm). Weekdays only (this time slot is also regular $0.20 off-peak on weekends)
Yeah, you can see why scheduling is so important!

What website had that info about it coming next year? Sheesh it's July...
Super Off-Peak is actually 1.4370 cents per kWh, not to shabby if you can schedule between 11PM and 7AM.
Regular Off-Peak is 6.6846
On-Peak is 20.3217
These rates are for June through September. Other months are just Regular Off-Peak 7AM to 11PM and Super Off-Peak 11PM-7AM.
There is a monthly Basic Service Charge of $0.3945 per day

I think I got the the 'future' car charge scheduling info from this site Volvo Cars US Owners Manual 2021 XC60 Recharge (custhelp.com). At the bottom of the page I believe I clicked "Get News from Volvo" but right now it's not working.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-21-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Falcon73 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:13 AM

Very useful. Thank you, Jim. While the XC40 P8 page doesn't have as much info, I found a guide that would have been very handy when we bought the car, but alas.

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...C40%20Recharge

It still had some good tips, so I saved it.

It also talks of a ChargePoint welcome kit, which I didn't receive unless it's hidden in the car somewhere. I will only use public chargers on long trips and tried a few for fun and wasn't terribly impressed by their locations, functionality or pricing.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volvo App

I’m having better luck. After wiping the system clean of all keys and loading the two I do have, the car finally paired with the app and I’m good to go. I haven’t had trouble connecting but I will say, the app’s utility at this point is pretty limited. I’m hoping they update with some enhancements in the coming months. Otherwise, its value is minimal.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:09 PM

That's good to hear. Are you seeing the state of charge on a consistent basis? But yeah, even if that works, the app does very little for the P8.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:43 PM

Funny you should ask. It seems to refresh when it feels like it. Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it's not. Clearly, Volvo has lots of work to do regarding its usefulness and functionality for XC-40 Recharge. Thankfully, so far, the car's performance is a lot better than the app.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:11 PM

Oh yes indeed. It's a real pleasure to drive. The app is a minor inconvenience, so I shouldn't complain too much!

Old 07-27-2021, 01:39 PM

Customer Care had me do a reboot of the LTE system by holding down the left defrost button for about 30 seconds. That worked while I was sitting on the car (on my phone), for a few minutes, but now that I'm back inside it disconnected again.

AT&T stinks here and I understand that's who they use. That, plus our car is in the garage.

It seems I can't use Wi-Fi to connect the car at home. Actually, it connects, but one time only and drops. Apparently, Wi-Fi isn't used as a backup for LTE per what I read in the manual.

And what's a workshop? lol. I presume they mean a service center.

Wi-Fi in car

Old 08-03-2021, 11:49 AM

The car connected to my home WiFi again this morning and the app is working as a result. So, I can also conclude that the LTE connection is far from stable with the Volvo Cars app.

The WiFi connection needs some improvements that's for sure, however. It's very flaky, despite the WiFi AP being about 10' from the car in the garage.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:23 AM
Unhappy XC40 Recharge

The app absolutely does not work. It's connected to my VIN but I have nothing but a shadow of a car.
No features. nothing. it shows that it knows it's my car.. but cannot connect.
I halfway wonder if the modem software is not installed properly or has bugs.

I have spoken to Volvo many times and they have no idea what the problem is. None.
They've opened several tickets but never seem to respond to me and the one phone call was a bust.

Everything in the car seems to be working, but the app is a complete failure.

I've reset the system and the modem and restarted multiple times. Changed log ins, passwords.

I had an XC40 gas version prior to this and deleted that.. so that isn't the issue.

Gunther Volvo in Delray Beach is useless.. unwilling/untrained/unable to help.

The thing is, I really need the app to work because I need to get an alert when the car is charged.
I used the app on my prior car all the time and am so disgusted that this does not work.

I should have bought a Tesla.. just liked the XC40 and had no idea that Volvo would have been this unprepared to roll out a car
especially since they advertise like crazy.

I also hate that the modem only reads AT&T signals for Wifi.. it won't read my Xfinity signal.

I'm also having a problem with the phone upairing periodically.. it's odd.

Not sure it really gets the full 200 range either.. I drove from W. Palm to Ft. Lauderdale airport and back.. and was down to 48%.. and at 30% you need to recharge.

Volvo could have done alot better.

Kdzdoc (08-29-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 08:25 AM

The App does not work at all. Volvo has no idea why.
i've reset and re installed many times.. and nothing.

They are confused, unprepared and not honest that the app is buggy.

I keep hearing everyone else is using it fine. great. my car has no app that works.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by LynnKR

I keep hearing everyone else is using it fine. great. my car has no app that works.
The gas version of our car's app probably works better, but I didn't have app access on the rental XC40 (gas) version I had.

If Volvo is really serious about going all electric, they need to get their act together and fast! Treating us like red-headed step-children is not a good idea!

Let me see if my app is working now (the car is parked in the garage with strong WiFi)...

...nope! same 'ol same 'ol

Also have never received any notifications, still no charging sked, et al.

Sheesh, Subaru is doing a terrible job on our Plug-In Crosstrek Hybrid as well, but at least the app works with that! (and it allows charging skeds)

The Volvo XC40 P8 Recharge is a great car. However, Volvo needs many, many more software people and much, much more TRAINING. When I talked to roadside support about the low tire pressure warning (it was like 40 vs 42), roadside assistance was giving me instructions for the WRONG Infotainment system. The gas ones have the Volvo and not the Google system. Considering I stopped buying Sony's TV's due to the awful Google OS, why am I surprised to be having trouble here?

Last edited by Falcon73; 08-06-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Cruiter (08-09-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by LynnKR

Lynn, late one evening, I called the care center re: app issues and lucked out with an intelligent fellow and together we figured it out. Maybe this is your issue; they had just done an app update that works for the cars in nearly any country however, you have to designate which country before setting it up. If you delete the app and re-install it you might find near the bottom of the 1st screen when you open it, a link to change it to ( U S ) vs a European country. Turns out it makes a big difference which servers it goes to.

If you're still having the same issues, it's worth a try. Let us know if it works.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cruiter:
rlboston (09-27-2021), scoob1 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:04 PM

The app is still DOA in my case, unless I reset the LTE connection constantly.

Have there been any OTA or App updates recently? It doesn't seem so. They are still needed!

Old 09-26-2021, 11:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Lynn, late one evening, I called the care center re: app issues and lucked out with an intelligent fellow and together we figured it out. Maybe this is your issue; they had just done an app update that works for the cars in nearly any country however, you have to designate which country before setting it up. If you delete the app and re-install it you might find near the bottom of the 1st screen when you open it, a link to change it to ( U S ) vs a European country. Turns out it makes a big difference which servers it goes to.

If you're still having the same issues, it's worth a try. Let us know if it works.
My phone call to Volvo support, for an App/OnCall issue was also late at night. He similarly, first confirmed my correct Country code with me. Next, he generated a confirmation code and emailed that to me, for me to enter on my phone. It worked. ...maybe by calling late at night, your call is routed to Sweden; he had the accent.

Last edited by longhaul; 09-27-2021 at 01:08 AM.
Cruiter (09-28-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given up for now. Dealer is waiting on back ordered part. I only have the lock icon and everything is unknown in the app.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No longer works. Worked alright for a while but this newest version just tells me I don't have an internet connection. Looks like this is a common issue with the newest build. The app also freezes at times and fails to operate the pre-conditioning, lies about the locking, loses location, randomly fails to log journeys. Waiting for an update.

Quick Reply: XC40 Volvo On Call/Volvo Cars App