Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

"Key Error" message

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Key Error" message

I have a 2005 Volvo S40 T5 and have been having problems with the key. When I try to crank the car, the "key error" message comes on. I usually have to play with the lock and unlock button for several minutes before it will read the key. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Default RE: "Key Error" message

your key has a computer chip in it and if the key is held next to another key with a chip in it or next to anything magnetic it will cause the key not to register witht he cars computer.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 PM

I had the same issue today and was very disappointed when I googled the problem and found almost no help. I also could not find any help on the main Volvo site or in the user manual. I was able to finally get this fixed. I tried the following:

1) Used the remote to unlock and relock the car over and over. This didn't seem to help, but it might help someone else.
2) Took the metal-key-slot out of the key and tried to start the car -- this caused the alarm to go off which I turned off with the key-remote. I then put the metal-key-slot back in and started the car -- yes, this worked.

Who knows what actually worked, but thought this experience might help someone else.

http://myblogquest.com

Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM

i have that same problem but i dont have a key-remote...

Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM

Its a probably a problem with your SCU (a fancy word for ignition switch) its the component in to which you insert the key. Its not to diffucult to replace and does not require software to "pair" it to the car

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Default key error code

I had this problem today
first remove small plastic panel behind floating dash clipped on 4 x corners
then pull main plastic cover clipped top left corner pull past carpet on center console
ignition switch can now be accessed behind dash
I just wiggled the electrical connector and it came back to life
total fix under 5 minutes
Volvo Brighton wanted the car towed in diagnostics test run new ignition switch @ Ł150.00 they also went out of their way to say how hard it was to remove dash to access switch probably about Ł350..
beware of rip off Volvo

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Default Key error message try again

Ignition and key are not able to synch up. Take a hammer or equivalent and lightly but firmly tap on the ignition where key gets inserted about 5 times. Insert the key and it should synch up and start like normal. How long it will work I'm not sure. I then took to dealer for them to diagnose. I needed a new ignition switch which they program with the Volvo software. No one can program the Volvo software but the dealer. Cost me $625

Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can replace the switch without any need to synch anything. I replaced mine with a brand new switch without any problems. Now if you replace the key then yes, you need that to be programmed to the car. The switch, however, can be swapped out in your home garage for less than $200.

The following users liked this post:
stuwe (09-04-2023)
Old 12-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mr

Originally Posted by tranquil94
I have a 2005 Volvo S40 T5 and have been having problems with the key. When I try to crank the car, the "key error" message comes on. I usually have to play with the lock and unlock button for several minutes before it will read the key. Has anyone else had this problem?
i am stuck with the same problem I my 2006 Volvo s40

stuwe (09-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2020, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solved Key error in Volvo V50

my 2005 v50 developed the key error and would not start.

I did blow air into key slot as recommended and it ran one more time just to get me home.It refused to run again. After much study I determined that the ignition switch was the likely source of this fault.

I actually went to the parts department of the local dealership. The parts manager verified that this is the most likely issue. He still sells the ignition unit periodically even though the car hasn’t been sold for about ten years now. He also verified that no programming was needed. I did buy it there as a result of his advice.

I looked on a YouTube video to understand the details of replacement.

The two screws on the back of the ignition unit were the hardest part of removal. They are hard to see at all. I used a little camera on a flexible stalk to see the one closest to the speedometer binnacle. Then I did the rest by feel with no direct visualization.

Two hour job overall due to my learning curve.

Car now working again.

stuwe (09-04-2023)
Old 02-26-2021, 04:57 PM

Hi - what did you search with on YouTube to find the directions? I need to do this and haven't found anything useful yet.

Thanks,
Mark
2008 C70

Old 09-05-2023, 01:55 AM

I will try as i am facing the no start, no crank on my 2004 S40 T5 2.5l.

The dashboard lights can be on but the car cannot start. it have been reporting that the immobilizer have some issues. I have done a lot of troubleshooting in order to find out what might be faulty, my suspicion falls on the ignition switch.

At first I thought it was the starter, i replaced it but faced the same problem, so i went through the starting system wiring to find if the wiring is not faulty, and foun that the wiring is ok. I tested starter relay, its ok. few days ago i removed the ignition switch and when i put it back it showed a new message "Key Error. Try AGain" but no matter how many times I tried it failed to start. looking forward to buy a new ignition switch.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:57 AM
Default Here’s what helped me

Originally Posted by stuwe
I will try as i am facing the no start, no crank on my 2004 S40 T5 2.5l.

The dashboard lights can be on but the car cannot start. it have been reporting that the immobilizer have some issues. I have done a lot of troubleshooting in order to find out what might be faulty, my suspicion falls on the ignition switch.

At first I thought it was the starter, i replaced it but faced the same problem, so i went through the starting system wiring to find if the wiring is not faulty, and foun that the wiring is ok. I tested starter relay, its ok. few days ago i removed the ignition switch and when i put it back it showed a new message "Key Error. Try AGain" but no matter how many times I tried it failed to start. looking forward to buy a new ignition switch.

I had gotten the “Key Error Try Again” message on my ‘06 S40 2.4L, I tried everything for HOURS. I’m talking like jump boxes, both fuse boxes, professional code reader, 50 YouTube videos, new batteries in both of my key fobs with no luck whatsoever. At a certain point, the dash stopped working all together. I went home and tried to use my spare key thinking since it was a different key it’d work. NOPE.

after leaving it for a night, I tried again the next day. And I did the one thing that I should’ve done from the get go….

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FOR A FEW MINUTES, AND RE-F’ING-CONNECT IT.

Started right back up. No codes and messages, and no problems since!

Old 09-17-2023, 12:20 PM
Default Key Error problems

I had this problem with my Volvo V50 2.4 I 2005. I haven't had any problems all this week getting it started and heading off to work. Yesterday, I was headed out to run an errand and the key Error came up on the display panel. I have seen this message before. The doors locked and unlocked without any problems. In the past I have experienced problems with not being able to unlock the doors. In any case, I charged the battery a good bit yesterday. The car would not start the next day. My son disconnected the battery and reconnected it. It started right up. Perhaps it's time for a new ignition switch.

Old 09-17-2023, 12:22 PM
Default Key Error Part 2

Thanks for the advice on disconnecting the battery and reconnecting folks.