Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

$50 to anyone who can solve my front end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $50 to anyone who can solve my front end clunking

I'm serious. I've got a front end clunk that I've been chasing now for 4 years. I have done the following (not all for the sake of addressing the clunk of course):
1) replaced the droplinks 2x (now they are genuine)
2) replaced control arms (lemforder 2 years ago - they look great)
3) replaced both axle shafts - used but replacing did not alter sound
4) replaced both hubs and bearings - used but no altering of sound
5) replaced anti-roll bar bushings (front)
6) replaced shock mounts, bearings 2x (now OEM) and springs
7) discs and pads
8) all engine mounts (upper and lower)
9) replaced tranny x-member, x-member rubber inserts and metal inserts
10) verified subframe bolts for tightness
11) outer tie-rod ends

So here are the symptoms:
1) does not happen in the cold weather in fact, doesn't happen any time temp is less than about 23/24deg C say roughly 75deg F. THe warmer it is, the more pronounced the sound gets and the more regularily it happens.
2) the sound comes from down low in the front but you can feel it throughout: if you have your hand resting on top of door with open window you can distinctly feel the clunk in the frame, for instance. Having said this you feel it most down by your feet.
3) It is a few clunks at a time (maybe 2-4) and it can only be felt/heard at take off or while moving at a VERY slow speed.
4) I think it only happens after taking off from a stop or when easing forward in traffic
5) It's a sound that says "this needs to be addressed" but yet it's been doing it for several years without any other symptoms
6) I did take it in at one point and their recommendation was to replace drop links which I did - they could not find anything else wrong
7) It sounds like a combination of two things: like the sound some really large wheel bearings would make if failing AND also the sound of a subframe flexing and clunking
8) happens while driving forward straight. Having written this I don't know if it would still happen if I'm taking off with wheel turned. Will have to get back to you guys on that.

I tried recording the sound but I guess its too low a frequency to show up on audio recordings.

Side note: transmission is smooth as can be (except for the occasional hard shift into rev or 1st at start up if you try to hurry it up).

Bring on the ideas.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Given that you are in Canada and I suspect that the vehicle has some rust issues underneath, what you are describing sounds like a broken part on the vehicle frame. I wouldn't be surprised to find either a rusted part that is flexing or some broken spot welds with associated rust.

My suggestion is to talk to a local shop and have them put the car on a body lift. Then, lower the car and put a load on the front wheels one at a time and see what moves or creaks. I've seen this done with a strong board on a transmission jack that could take the load of the compressed spring and what you find can be alarming.

The only other thing that I would suggest is that the steering rack is tight on the subframe.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tony1963
Given that you are in Canada and I suspect that the vehicle has some rust issues underneath, what you are describing sounds like a broken part on the vehicle frame. I wouldn't be surprised to find either a rusted part that is flexing or some broken spot welds with associated rust.

My suggestion is to talk to a local shop and have them put the car on a body lift. Then, lower the car and put a load on the front wheels one at a time and see what moves or creaks. I've seen this done with a strong board on a transmission jack that could take the load of the compressed spring and what you find can be alarming.

The only other thing that I would suggest is that the steering rack is tight on the subframe.
Ooooh, I like that idea (the first). It does sound like that actually.

Yeah,I have examined the rack pretty closely to see if I can spot any points where metal to metal contact is possible. I just don’t see anything.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

How about the upper strut bearing? If one of those is bad, you'd likely get a light clunk when the torque of acceleration put a bit of twist on your strut. You could check it by jacking up the car using the jack point (letting the suspension hang) and grabbing the top of the strut and trying to feel any play. You might have to do this test a few times under various amounts of jack extension to find a spot where the strut is loose enough for hand power to move it.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engines flex around a lot under acceleration. Exhaust pipes are supposed to flex at certain joints, but when they rust, sometimes they don't flex so good any more. Look at those flex joints (I don't know which car you have making the noise) and make sure they are clean and flexing properly. Check mounting points and make sure they are still attached. Check to see if there is evidence of the pipe wacking the floorboard at any point.