Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

01 S40 550 cc injectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 01 S40 550 cc injectors

So... thinking about upgrading to the 14T turbo, would also like to go with the 550 cc injectors. Problem is can't seem to find em. Could some one please point me in the right direction, thanks!

The following users liked this post:
bocajoe (06-19-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 489 Likes on 470 Posts

I'd put in a call to a shop like Viva Performance to see if the T5 injectors match up size and impedence wise. https://www.vivaperformance.com/

Old 05-16-2020, 06:06 PM

I'll shoot em an email, thanks for the input!

Old 05-23-2020, 12:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question is are you going to run the stock boost or gonna raise it up?If not then stock injectors will get you to about 200HP on stock boost.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 AM

I was gonna upgrade to the 14T turbo. From what I'm told the stock injectors max out at 10 lbs boost. Viva performance can get 650cc injectors for $125 ea., but would most likely have to upgrade fuel pump to support them. So it looks like this project will have to wait for another day. Plan on getting tune for current mods...3 inch air intake, 3 inch catless down pipe and exhaust. Thanks guys for your input!

bocajoe (06-19-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by RS72
I was gonna upgrade to the 14T turbo. From what I'm told the stock injectors max out at 10 lbs boost. Viva performance can get 650cc injectors for $125 ea., but would most likely have to upgrade fuel pump to support them. So it looks like this project will have to wait for another day. Plan on getting tune for current mods...3 inch air intake, 3 inch catless down pipe and exhaust. Thanks guys for your input!
Stock injectors are good for 14PSI which will get you ~230HP.I was running 630cc injectors ($60) after my RC550's crapped out and it took forever for the ECU to learn the new fueling for them.They are unnecessary big for this turbo even at 18PSI.I would suggest to get the 550's and also a new map for the ECU that would set you up to max out the T14.ECU will not wanna come out of closed loop is the main problem only a flash can solve that.I would do what I did which is the best result for the cheapest and for more HP.
550 injectors
boost controller @max 18PSI (anything over 14PSI will throw a CEL)
Disconnect the coolant hose from the intake which warms the intake
3" DP and cat-less 2.5" piping straight trough to the muffler
Install a FMIC (the stock one is garbage and sandwiched between two hot radiator.Its not cooling but heating the air)
This will get you to a cool 250HP which is plenty on this car.Keep in mind the auto gearbox is good for about 300HP so no reason to get anything else.Wanna go even faster lose some weight get coil overs and some light 17's

Last edited by GerBeGurGya; 05-24-2020 at 03:59 PM.
bocajoe (06-16-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 04:41 PM

Thanks for all the info, where did you get the 550 cc injectors? I was gonna send ecu to Upsolute for tune. Think he said it would be additional 30 hp with 12T and stock injectors @ 10 psi, and with the 14t and 550cc injectors 60 hp @ 14 psi. Did you have to go with a bigger fuel pump to run the 550 injectors? Will definitely be deleting coolant from intake. Thanks again, really appreciate it!

Old 05-26-2020, 03:23 AM

These are the injectors but honestly I dont remember where I got them.Happened about 16 years back Still got them one is leaking trough a bit needs some cleaning if you want them let me know.I also still have the siemens/dekka 630cc's I could let go.For these I was told I had to put in the Walbro 255 pump but honestly I dont think needed.Right now I'm running the 14T at 16PSI with stock 420CC injectors and stock pump.0-60 went from 8.7s stock to 6.2s and thats plenty faster.
https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/Stor...rated-injector
This is my dyno with the 14T and stock boost on wheels.Pretty sure the guy didnt turn off the traction control hence the zig-zag on the curve.This car has a 21% driveshaft loss..No other upgrades at all still had the stock exhaust as well with both CAT..Stock is @126HP on wheels.

additional 30 hp with 12T and stock injectors @ 10 psi just wont ever happen.The Euro version has the 14T by factory running 14Psi gets that power as stock on a manual tranny @200HP on the engine..The 12T will not get you there unless you are running 18PSI.Its not a race car and never will be.Dont waste money just what you need what I have said in my prev post is all you need.

Last edited by GerBeGurGya; 05-26-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:19 PM

Those additional hp gains were based on mods to date..3 inch catless down pipe, 3 inch exhaust and 3 inch air intake. If you had success with the stock injectors than no reason to go bigger, but just for sh$#*s and giggles, what would you have to have for all of em?

Old 05-27-2020, 12:11 AM

Those additional hp gains were based on mods to date..3 inch catless down pipe, 3 inch exhaust and 3 inch air intake. If you had success with the stock injectors than no reason to go bigger, but just for sh$#*s and giggles, what would you have to have for all of em?
I understand but the 12T @ 10PSI just wont deliver enough air period.

When it comes to the fueling like injectors and pumps it really comes down to the tune.As far as I know there was only one guy back in the days who was working for Volvo and had all the factory access codes for this car.Time to time he came to the US and did custom maps for $900 a pop..I think the name was Marko from Sweden not sure.The difference between hes tune and any other tune was that he could make the ECU come out of closed loop (controlled by narrowband O2 sensor) when you hit the throttle right away while the other tunes kept stoich for a long time before it went into open loop (follow the programmed values) didnt do the instant enrichment.This is dangerous to the engine.I had nor the money or the opportunity to get this tune from him so my car always runs @ 14.7 AFR therefore no matter how big injector I had in there.Yes the ECU will see the more air coming in but will add only as much fuel to make it stoich so the stock (420cc redtops) are enough but cant really run more than 16PSI @stoich because of risking detonation.The FMIC helps a lot on that part to keep the charge cool lessening the chance for it.I made peace with the ~240-is HP.Combine that with lowered suspension, 17" wheels and tower brace front and rear this little car still a sleeper and corners like a racecar.

When you tune a turbo or any engine really should invest into a wideband and a boost gauge to be able to constantly monitor what your engine is doing.I guess the question is do Upsolute promise instant enrichment with their tune or not.If not then dont even get it you will likely run out of road before the ECU will go into open loop.I own this car since 04 and to this day I only managed this about 3-4 times.If you decide to get the tune the WB will tell you if it gets all the fuel it should.If not then money back.Keep in mind that on this ECU you physically have to remove the chip to flash it.Means soldering it out and back in.The board is pretty weak so I would have them install a chip socket such us in mine in case you wanna turn it back to stock or need a remap.I'm not sure if they even offer that at all.
Even the map made by the Volvo tuner guy tho it was a customized one wasnt made on a dyno but he had the access for that one feature was the most important.The instant enrichment is everything when you crack the throttle open and the boost goes up..Every tune currently being offered are off the shelf meaning one fits all.Now Im tuning my own bikes and I can tell you while a one fits all works to a degree it is not the best hence Im doing my own fueling where I live in real life rolling dyno on the streets getting real time data logged after any mod I make and adjust the fuel accordingly.It is a delicate process takes time..I wouldnt trust any off the shelf map with the outlandish claims.

The most gain to be made other than the turbo and upped boost is the FMIC.As long as you are running the factory one the air going trough will pick up all the heat from the radiator and could be as hot as the coolant.FMIC will give you the ambient so depending where you live the difference could be 130F on 70F day.Now every 7 degree colder air will get 1% power back thats about 18HP on its own without doing anything else.
What they claim about the tune is 60HP with the 14T.Well we now know that the 14T gets you about 20HP on stock boost.A CAT-less 3" system will get you 15HP and the inter-cooler 18HP on a good day.What exactly are they selling?
If back then I could have gotten that one tune everyone was after I would have used the 550cc but then I would have broke the 300HP limit on the auto tranny.

I dont know what are you planning with the airbox but if you want a big hole on it then just take the lid off of it.Its on the front of the box have to take the battery out.Marked with a blue arrow on the pix.4 crew holds it.I had it like that for years it better than a so called CAI they selling which is basically a cone filter with some useless shielding but sucks hot air from the engine bay.The factory box at least gives more heat shielding.Its my opinion that for the size of this turbo you are actually better off having the factory setup and get the air from behind the fender which is cooler which I myself went back to too..

Last edited by GerBeGurGya; 05-27-2020 at 01:00 AM.
bocajoe (06-16-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:56 PM

Thanks man, really appreciate your time and knowledgeable input. Will be printing off posts for future reference, thanks again!

Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 AM

I did found a dyno chart of mine after I installed a MBC.All stock except an air filter and the boost is @15PSI on the 14T.You could tell the traction wasnt disengaged.I guess I dont have luck with the dyno masters.

Wish you best of luck

Last edited by GerBeGurGya; 05-31-2020 at 12:31 AM.
bocajoe (06-19-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 04:49 PM

Thanks!! Let you know how I make out

Persistent (06-02-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hey Rs72, I'm looking to do pretty much the same setup on my S40. If you don't mind, can you tell me a few things?
  1. Where did you get your 3" catless down pipe & exhaust?
  2. Who do you plan to use for the Tune?
  3. Any luck on the 550cc injectors?
Sure would appreciate ANY info you can give me. I just got the S40 and pretty pumped on upgrading to a 14T with mods like yours.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:04 PM

Hey man... I had to make my down pipe and exhaust, & air intake cuz there's nothing out there that I could find for this generation S40. As for the tune,($300) here's the email address <rberube@upsolute.com>. Wasn't able to find 550 cc inlectors only the 630's , which according to previous post in this thread, are over kill. It's been 6 weeks since I was last under the hood, so haven't made much progress. Still have to get 14T turbo, (plenty on Ebay), and a FMIC. Summit racing has a bunch to chose from. I'm gonna stick with the stock injectors for now. If I can find 550 injectors, I'll upgrade the fuel system then.

bocajoe (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 04:38 PM

Hey man... I had to make my down pipe and exhaust, & air intake cuz there's nothing out there that I could find for this generation S40. As for the tune,($300) here's the email address <rberube@upsolute.com>. Wasn't able to find 550 cc inlectors only the 630's , which according to previous post in this thread, are over kill. It's been 6 weeks since I was last under the hood, so haven't made much progress. Still have to get 14T turbo, (plenty on Ebay), and a FMIC. Summit racing has a bunch to chose from. I'm gonna stick with the stock injectors for now. If I can find 550 injectors, I'll upgrade the fuel system then.
Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!!GerBeGurGya who seems to know his stuff says the stock injectors are good for 14PSI which he says will get you ~230HP, I'd be happy with that. I'm glad you mentioned the FMIC... I have no idea what to look for so if you have any ideas please let me know.

I've been researching like crazy. As far as the 14t, I've seen Mamba has an OEM turbocharger VOLVO S40 B4194T TD04L-14T-6 49377-06011 for $349 but not sure if there better options. I've also read to make sure to use your original hot-side turbo housing to take advantage of the twin scroll design. They say there's nothing wrong with how the new 14t turbo comes, but it just leaves a little on the table not using the dual scroll.

As far as the tune goes upsolute seems to be where most of my research points too as well.

PLEASE update whenever you can, I'm super subscribed to this thread and still learning!

Last edited by bocajoe; 06-21-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by bocajoe
Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!!GerBeGurGya who seems to know his stuff says the stock injectors are good for 14PSI which he says will get you ~230HP, I'd be happy with that. I'm glad you mentioned the FMIC... I have no idea what to look for so if you have any ideas please let me know.

I've been researching like crazy. As far as the 14t, I've seen Mamba has an OEM turbocharger VOLVO S40 B4194T TD04L-14T-6 49377-06011 for $349 but not sure if there better options. I've also read to make sure to use your original hot-side turbo housing to take advantage of the twin scroll design. They say there's nothing wrong with how the new 14t turbo comes, but it just leaves a little on the table not using the dual scroll.

As far as the tune goes upsolute seems to be where most of my research points too as well.

PLEASE update whenever you can, I'm super subscribed to this thread and still learning!
Just sharing what I have learned going down the same road some 16 years ago. Some people actually claimed that the factory 12T could produce the same number (230) but needs to be run @18-19PSI.It was also said that this turbo will not be able to keep this pressure and will run up the IAT which make sense.Installing a FMIC would help that part a lot.I myself did the above mentioned pairing of the twinscroll housing to the 14T I think the boost comes on more linear than with the original where there is one big hole on that side creating a slower spool up tho its said to be less restrictive.The 12T's housing also prone to develop cracks on the inside where the divider is so you might wanna replace it for that reason..

Last edited by GerBeGurGya; 06-23-2020 at 06:10 PM.
bocajoe (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:54 PM

Yup, GerBeGurGya definitely knows his stuff! Thanks again for taking the time to pass on your knowledge. As for the FMIC, it 'll have to be a universal. Cuz, there's really no performance mods out there for this gen. that I could find. There are new and used Volvo 14T's on Ebay. They also have the 14T CHRA, which should swap right into the 12T. Definitely keep you posted, hope to get some wrenching done this weekend. Good luck with your mods!

bocajoe (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:51 PM

Thank you both for the replies... I truly appreciate everything, it's really got me really motivated AND thinking. RS72 I hope you do get some wrench time in this weekend. Between both of you I have some "ideas" but I don't want to hijack RS72's thread anymore than I have. I am going to start my own thread and hope you both stop by LOL

Old 06-24-2020, 05:37 PM

No worries about hi-jacking thread. We're all on the same quest, to build the ultimate sleeper...Subbee Slayer if you will. Wishful thinking, short of an LS swap, but a noble quest nonetheless. Be sure to let us know name of your thread so we can follow along..

bocajoe (06-24-2020)

Quick Reply: 01 S40 550 cc injectors