Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2000 S40 T1.9 issue(s) for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S40 T1.9 issue(s) for the experts

Here's one that has several facets that may or may not be related. I have ideas but I'd prefer some ideas from those more experienced...

The latest issue to crop up is the engine doesn't turn over when it's warm. That started today. Let her cool down and it does turn over and start and run smooth.

BTW, battery is strong and posts are clean.

Another thing I noticed today is the heater was putting out less than hot air. Usually a sign of low coolant but it was topped off, and the thermometer gauge was rock steady at about halfway up. I checked the coolant bleeder thinking there might be an air pocket but no coolant ever seeped out. I replaced the thermostat about two months ago so now I'm thinking possibly a faulty water pump.

Add to this I've been attempting to solve an engine code stating a history of cylinder #4 misfire for about three months. Brand new coil and plugs did not solve that, nor did a couple of oil changes.

One more issue is the engine has developed a significant oil leak within the last three weeks. Not enough of one to freak out about, but enough to be consistently checking the oil dip stick. I have yet to run low on oil and have yet to trace the exact leak location.

One more thing: about a month ago I had a radical coolant leak. The main hose from the top of the radiator slipped off. I was about s mile from home do I gave her 10 minutes to cool down then drove her home.

Again, I have ideas but I don't want to put them into your heads.

Ready? Fire away!

Old 03-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Engine won't crank when hot but works fine when cool sounds like a starter solenoid going bad. Just a guess though. The PNP switch is another candidate. When the car acts up try putting the gear shifter in Neutral and trying again.

I believe coolant should seep out the bleeder if you open the radiator cap as the bleeder is lower than the coolant level in the radiator. If your gauge is rock steady I would not suspect the water pump. There is also an interior temp sensor in the center console. Make sure it's clean and the opening is clear.

For the misfire in #4 did you replace the wires with the coils and plugs? They are just as susceptible to cracking and arcing as the coils.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to the forum Gjhuth