Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

A factory scam on the 2005 S40

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A factory scam on the 2005 S40

I do all my own oil changesand have only taken my car into the dealership for the 30K and 60K service(and those were ripoffs too). I wouldn't dream of getting bent over for the $400 oil changes every 7500 miles. I also do the little trick with the key and thetripometer button to get the "Time for Regular Service" messageto go away. Well, when I changed my oil at 67,500 miles I didn'tdo the little trick (because Iforgot exactly howand was too lazy to get on here and read how to do it) SoI just put up with the "Time for Regular Service" message everytime I turned on my car. Well, at exactlythe next oil change interval (75,000 miles) my "Check Engine" light came on. And I thought to myself " Itake better care of this car than I do myself, what could be wrong?" Then I had an idea. I refreshed my memory on how to do the little trick with the key and the tripometer button and made the "Time for Regular Service" message go away. Then I started the engine and Voila!...the check engine light went off. Volvo didn't intend for owners to reset their own service reminder indicators and they certainlydon't want people changing their own oil. So if you are a person who wants to savemoney and changeyour own oil (which is smart) but you never bother to reset the service reminder, your "check engine" light will come on after 2 oil change intervals whether you change your oil or not. This is an obvious scam to fool people into taking their car to the dealership. Now I expect a post from some analretentiveowner or techy telling me that it is a safety precaution for people who don't change their oil, butI don't accept that. Anybody who currently has a "time for regular sevice"message and "check engine"light ontheir dash should do the little trick to erase the "time for regular service" and your "check engine" will probably disappear as well. I'm irritated by this, but also relieved that nothing is wrong with my car. Let me know if this is the case with anyone else.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A factory scam on the 2005 S40

2005 S40 better watch out for broken PCV hose not to mention if your check engine lights come on and off could be a fault stored in system... The car itself idles rough as brand new so even if there is a an air leak here and there u may not be able to tell... Check engine light comes on for a reason... there is something wrong... So far in 6 yrs working for volvo I have not seen check engine lights comes on for no reason. Not to mention since u don't take car back to dealer.. there are a dozen of free recall and software upgrade that u need to enhance your cars diagnostic performance and reduce amount of check engine light and other fault in electrical system. But since u are out of warranty (even extended volvo authorized extended warranty) will not cover... for me I understand that u can reset service message but at least go back to dealer for oil change once a yr to make sure that your car's software upgrade is up to date while it's free and under warranty.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: A factory scam on the 2005 S40

Hey, how do you remove the "Time for Regular Service" message. Thanks