Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2001 S40 trans filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S40 trans filter?

Hey guys. First of all thank you for a very informative and great forum to us neophytes in the Volvo realm. I had a '91 740 wagon and loved it but this S40 is quite another beast entirely. I recently purchased the car after a deer hit for $600 and have fixed it back up to pre-deer status. The car came with many records of services provided over the years, all at the local Volvo dealership, but nowhere in there is any record of a transmission filter/fluid change. I know that Volvo says it never has to be done, ever. I'm sorry but I can't subscribe to that. I wish to do a filter/fluid change but it seems that there are not too many aftermarket manufacurers that make filter service kits for said car. ATP makes one and specifies it for the AW55-50SN transmission. When looking at my owner's manual I read that my transmission is labeled simply as a AW55-50, sans the 'SN'. Does anyone know if this filter will work for my particular car?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 AM

You cannot change the filter on transmission unless you plan on taking it apart. It's deep inside the case. One of these days I'm going to pull my extra AW55-50 five speed apart and see how tough it is to get to that filter. Yes you can change the fluid and yes some Volvo mechanics say don't change the fluid. Supposedly there is some sort of additive that is in the fluid that only Volvo has but I say bull. You will need a case of Toyota Type IV (pronounced type four) to flush the system and yes you can do it at home. $600 is very cheap for a 2001.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks, I was beginning to believe that to be the case. Yes, the car was a good deal, but all said and done I've got about $3100 into the car including the crash parts, snow tires, dmv fees, fuel pressure regulator ect. Did all the work myself except for shooting the paint. Love the car but she's not a cheap date! Last monday I was sittin in the parking lot one of the front coil springs let go. $400 later for struts, springs and strut mounts. It's a good thing I work at a predominately import autoparts store. Hope I have a buncha happy miles before something else expensive goes wrong.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace a tranny every other month because people think its ok to flush.

Just drain, and refill with new Volvo spec fluid.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drain and refill is more like a quick solution.The oil gets mixed with the old then it is not new anymore.Drain and fill will take a lot of time and a lot of new oil to renew the oil and not just "pretend" that is was actually replaced.This method also the culprit to help the depository of mud in corners.Had "flushed" the tranny twice and couldnt be happier.Ofcourse I didnt wait too long with the replacement to have a lot of deposit in the corners what a flush could loosened up which is the main problem when it cloggs the valves and the tranny start to shift funny or doesnt shift at all..Most mechanic doesnt just clean the valves when it happens but rather replacing the whole tranny.Guess it pays better.
Either drain and refill every 20K or do a flush every 50K.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM

OK let me clarify.

If you flush a tranny regularly from new, you should never have a problem, but is you do your first flush at 150,000 miles you could have major issues.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 PM

Agreed.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:49 PM

wonder why...
Is it because deposited junk comes off....and goes where it should not...?

Then it is a real puzzle...if one has 100k miles...that I ve.

Now if you don't flush at 100k but just replace the fluid...by draining via the xmission cooling hose disconnection ?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 AM

Yes it's true flushing fluid that has 150k miles can cause small particules to end up in small holes. You have to flush every 50k to keep out sludge build up. With the Volvo's a lot depends on how you drive the car. I have a 2000 XC70 with 108k miles that had a bad transmission due to shifting reverse to drive too quickly. Clutch material caused premature transmission failure. Flushing the transmission at 50k intervals probably would have saved it but I will never know. If the transmission has high miles it is best to drain the transmission and refill with new every oil change until the fluid is red again.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I knew that the transmission fluid debate would certainly yield differences of opinion as to what should be done with a high-mileage, never changed fluid situation. I truly wish there was a uniform answer to this age-old question and I also wish the vehicle manufacturers wouldn't tout these ridiculously long change intervals in their owner's manuals. Whether it be engine oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid or p/s fluid, it all needs to be changed at reasonable intervals in my humble opinion. Bottom line: fluids break down and parts wear, depositing particles in the fluid. It's inevitable and it doesn't matter the brand of car. Even our awesomely designed and built Volvos need good quality, clean fluids to maintain their awesomeness. I believe that I'll do the drain and fill concept outlined above. It can't be wrong and hopefully will not cause me any issues. Just a note to new(er) vehicle owners: Change your fluids. It doesn't cost that much and there’s no one that'll tell you you're doing the wrong thing if you maintain the car well from early on. I'd rather change my fluids way too often then incur an otherwise avoidable repair because I didn't do it frequently enough, or at all, because my darned (censoring) owner’s manual says the fluid is good until the end of time and then oops, sorry your car is miraculously out of warranty when it all goes to excrement. I'm sorry, I don't desire a catastropic failure (read: very costly) in a system that could've been avoided, by simple maintenance. Sorry guys; this is one of my soapboxes and thank you for indulging my rant. Again thank you for your input and I will follow your advice.

Last edited by bluemiatadude; 01-25-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Its interesting how some car manufacturers will love to hear from an owner of say 500k miles [specifically one with 1million.]..but in terms of 'telling' or guiding the owner honestly...'How to get those miles'...or even 200k does not look like in their interest.
They expect, specifically from US owners, to get rid of their car after 10 yrs....irrespective of the miles....so why go into the trouble.

The reality is that a good car maker, proud of its design ..can have this ad...that I will craft for it:

"If you got 200k miles from xxxx...we are proud of you, but we will want you to get another 200k, and we will tell you how...because then; you will be proud of US and OUR engineers...who took pains to deliver you this design..."

Rather they approach [like Koreans]..."100k miles...best warranty in town."

To enter a market...this was a good Korean gamble...they felt ok to take in as many claims as they had to...under 100k, to repair/fix....once they ve shoved a good qty into customer's garage...and his/her money taken...and surprised the competition.

But more importantly...that was a hell of an approach to get the valuable "feedback" as to what is wrong with the design...so they did...and took care of it.

Now Hynduai is one of the very desirable low cost and reliable cars[I hate to write this...]...as my son, working for Honda in OH tells me after tearing apart many Kias and Hyundais....made by same outfit.
The analysis shows these mfrs couldnot sell hyundais in US at that price w/o Korean Govt subsidy..

Hope US manufacturers and US govt 'LEARN ' from this...!
..like they learned from Toyotas and Hondas.

But some chose to rather part-own Mazdas and fully-own Jaguars...don't know about SAAB....
Screwed the shape[the only thing Jag had...going for it], and then .......Ford had the nerve to advertize..'We left a little bit of history..' [remember that ad ?].
"No"...you screwed the whole history...which should ve been left alone, and the darn ridiculous engine problems[thnx to LUCAS]..would ve been eliminated by putting either a Ford or a Mazda[part Ford owned] engine.

And then....Ford dumped JAG div to TATA of India ...which will screw it further..proably shorten its length and put a Tata diesel [six cylinder now going in its truck]. Diesel in India is not taxed much compared to heavily taxed gasoline ...costing about half or 40% of petrol price.

And....the monsoon rains will never mess with the SI of the diesel.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Vehicle manufacturers are only interested in getting their cars to reach 100k miles without any major problems. Once the car is past that amount it's probably on it's third owner and may have been neglected on simple fluid changes. The value of the car drops dramatically and chances are good that the car is going to need some sort of major repair before it hits 150k miles. By this time unless someone is doing some of the work themselves on the car it very quickly can turn into the money pit.
Owning a car with a Ford automatic transmission you are lucky to get 75k miles.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 AM

This day and age if Volvo can go for Mitsubishi Xmission,you wil not expect Ford not to do that.
Back in 70's Ford Mustangs had 302, V-8 as one of the best 'Honed' engine[as the engr from Cleveland plant tells me], and its transmissions were all made in Detroit.
I remember Chrysler's Caravan had Jap transmissions[of that ERA]...with stamped housing components...carrying residual stresses developed during forming....and then with heat and stress[of operation]...relieved to deform and failed the transmisions near 60k....and Chrysler had to admit the flaw.

Don't know if the 'voyage' of that Suzuki transmission ever stopped away from US shores...

Transmission is a complex hardware...and cannot be made cheap in US unless the car can fetch 35k or more...
And the mfrs are more keen to put the darn GPS[as if no one can buy...], and even On Star...and ask the customer to pay about $1000 for these gadgets...[God bless their marketing analyst or should I say 'VP'..].

Not against the nice location of built in GPS...but a cavity or means can be provided to the driver to put what he wants...

or for me leave some place in dash board...for oil pressure and charging Amp gauge..LOL !.. I can do w/o Cup holder !

Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM

We can debate the semantics of what manufacturers should and could do all day. With reading my previous posts I'm sure you realize that I'm on OUR side on the topic. I guess my point is that the responsibility of car ownership and maintenance is on the owner themselves. I'm frustrated and P.O.ed with the manufacturers that they would mislead their customers (at the expense of the brands reputation; go figure!) for the short-term sales concept. Maybe I'm not being cogent here; but if you're trying to sell me a car, you're not gaining any ground with me by telling me that I don't need to do maintenance to maintain the car's integrity for the long-run. It's just common sense to me. In Volvo's case, you're buying a premium automobile with great design aspects, quality materials and a wonderful track record of longevity, reliability and safety. Why potentially sully that rep with telling the customer (many ignorant; no offense) that they don't have to take care of this great piece of machinery? If I'm an uneducated consumer and follow your (as a manufacturer) recommendations and then at 100k I have an issue, no matter if it's due to my lack of maintenance or just normal wear, I'm not as impressed with my purchase of said automobile and am less likely to purchase another. It seems that it would behoove the manufacturer to remove as many potential issues and dissatisfaction as possible in the pursuit of the best longevity record as possible. Tell them (the customer) to maintain their cars!!!! Maybe I'm utopian in my concept here but it just seems that they're just cutting off their noses to spit their face in the long run.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM

again..the perception is 100k is about what US buyer is believed to expect....and its wrong when he/she is buying a premium car with prem price.
I just met one dealer/wheeler...buying stuff from auctions...which need serious repairs and cannot be sold by dealers 'easly'. So he fixes 'em pretty much in depth...and then sells 'em on EBay...like many other s doing the same.

I asked him, due to his claim on expertise in SAABs and Volvos, if I need to change Xmsson oil, at 100k coming up soon.

His answer was:You change...you will be surprised it won't run...period.
And I really wanted him to flush/change whatever.

Now it seems that Volvo has some additives in the oil they use and do believe that this fluid will last 100k plus...many others like Audi too don't want you to change T Fluid.

But then why Volvo dealer sells ..Transmission fluid...for about $90/ 4 or 6 qrt....?, don't know !
Im sure of I ask 'em to flush and change the cost willbe about $300/400.

So that may be the ticket for the dealer, that Volvo expects you to goto..I guess.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM

There is no miracle additive by Volvo this tranny is in other cars as well.Nissan has it Saturn has it and Saab has it.Do they all have to use the same oil supplied by Volvo?It is not a volvo made tranny.All in common is the oil type which has to be JWS 3309 for the 5 speed while the 4speed gets the Dexron III.
Some claims that the 5speed is OK with the DexronIII as well but thats when things happen.Guess that mechanic was referring to this drastic oil type change as a big no no..

For the 5 speed here is the "Special Volvo Fluid"
http://avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html

Last edited by GerBeGurGya; 01-27-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM

hmmm...intersting debate going. Im just going to keep my professional opinions to myself, its gotten my in trouble on other forums before.

but I will say this.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny. Don't use the cooler line. You will only drain out 1 or 2 quarts that way. And even when you drain it correctly using the drain plug, the tranny still has about 4 qts in it at all times (torque converter, solenoids and valves).

Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by GerBeGurGya
There is no miracle additive by Volvo this tranny is in other cars as well.Nissan has it Saturn has it and Saab has it.Do they all have to use the same oil supplied by Volvo?It is not a volvo made tranny.All in common is the oil type which has to be JWS 3309 for the 5 speed while the 4speed gets the Dexron III.
Some claims that the 5speed is OK with the DexronIII as well but thats when things happen.Guess that mechanic was referring to this drastic oil type change as a big no no..

For the 5 speed here is the "Special Volvo Fluid"
Mobil ATF 3309 Case of 12 quarts
In short. Short hidden dipstick = special synthetic

Long easy to spot dipstick = Dex III will do just fine.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 AM

I think we all need to have this debate. I can't be the only one that is trying my darndest (censorship) to keep my Volvo's transmission running well, for as long as possible. I just simply don't have the money to replace the tranny! So, 'Lifesgoodhere’ please do weigh-in if you’re willing. Always good to hear from a Volvo mechanic. I’m hoping that you are willing to express your own thoughts and experiences as opposed to just regurgitating the manufacturer’s dribble. I already have lost faith in their position of the 'lifetime' transmission fluid concept. It's a violation of common sense. I love my Volvo and will most definately be a Volvo owner for life but I just want to do the best thing for my car, everytime. Please let me/us know!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently did a transmission fluid exchange on my 2000 Volvo V40. Wound up putting 10-1/2 quarts of new fluid in. The old fluid didn't look bad at 78,000 miles. And there was virtually no metal on the drain plug magnet. I was planning to install a Magnefine filter in the transmission cooler line but those lines are short and they are an odd diameter - larger than the 3/8 ID I was expecting.

So.... Has anyone installed a Magnefine filter on the AW50-42 transmission? Where'd you put it? And what size are those soft lines to the transmission cooler? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2001 S40 trans filter?