Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2004 S40 T5 CD Changer failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 S40 T5 CD Changer failure

Well I bought my wife an S40 this week. Only thing wrong with it that we can find is 1 it only has 1 key, I will start looking for a replacement soon.

The main concern is the CD changer doesn't work. I am trying to find details of the model etc of this CD player. Does anyone have details of this or a pladce to get good information. I am mainly trying to confirm the model number and manufacturer of the unit. Also if the whole unit has to be replaced or only the changer unit in the dash?
Anyone able to help me out a little?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Well I bought my wife an S40 this week. Only thing wrong with it that we can find is 1 it only has 1 key, I will start looking for a replacement soon.

The main concern is the CD changer doesn't work. I am trying to find details of the model etc of this CD player. Does anyone have details of this or a pladce to get good information. I am mainly trying to confirm the model number and manufacturer of the unit. Also if the whole unit has to be replaced or only the changer unit in the dash?
Anyone able to help me out a little?
2004.5? If it has the waterfall dash with the cd, radio, climate controls all in one then you can just get the replacement unit from dealer and pop it in. Tasca volvo just stated they will sell discounted parts.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can usually find changers on Ebay. You may have to go to the dealer to have the software configured though.

Here are instructions:
http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...804-%29%202005

Stan

Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Yep Waterfall dash car, I have seen 2004 listed for this newer body style and the older so I list that as 2004.5.

As for the background of this request, I can pull the dash myself and confirm numbers but I want to be able to just order up the parts. The long and short is I am an engineer for a supplier and another group at my office deals with these reman radios, I just need to get them the model number and they will order me one up. Sad thing is, I believe we knwo exactly what this radio is and we made it originally.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Jorgen...Were you able to ever get a reman radio? If so where did you get it from? My wife's car is doing the same thing and it is 2004.5 S40 T5. I am able to find used single disc CD players on ebay but hers is the one with a 6 disc changer in it. If the single disc CD one would work I would just put on of those in it. I am getting tired of replacing stuff on it. It would be nice to get something inexpensive rather than the $800 or whatever the dealership wants for a new one. I am thinking of taking out the CD changer and seeing if I can possibly fix it.

I have to install a new turn signal switch when it comes in since the brights do not stay on when you pull the switch back..you have to hold it back for brights. The last issue I had was the hood would not open. I took it to the dealership and it cost me over $700 for them to open the hood and replace the latch and cable. Not too long before that I had to replace the oil filter housing because it was making a howling noise that was around $260 for the part I think. Her steering wheel is hard to turn left when it cold out. We have had the fluid changed 4 times but it doesn't help. I think it is either the power steering pump or the rack. It seems like all the S40s have the same issues. I think once the CD player is fixed it will probably get traded in on something else. I love driving the car but I am tired or replacing stuff on it.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check to see if yours has the recall for the electric power steering assist. I can't remember which years it affected.

Not to offend but have you tried turning the headlight switch to the other position? One position is used to "flash" your headlights without staying on bright. The other position makes the headlights stay bright when you pull the turn signal stalk. You probably know this, I'm just wondering out loud.

Everything I've read says the CD changer is a stand alone Volvo unit. (Read more $$$) From what I gather it's all tied together with the climate control and display unit. There are things you can add for MP3 players, but I've yet to read of it being replaced with something different.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the information about looking for a recall for the power steering assist. It looks like there is a bulletin for it TNN64-22-2006-05-19 and I think the updated bulletin is TNN64-22-2007-06-26. At least that is my conclusion from my searching. However, it does not look like Volvo pays for it. Is this normal? The one guy said it cost him $1650 for the repair which seems high for a 1.7hr repair. I guess I could buy the part myself and replace it. On the Honda Accord I own, Honda always paid for the repair of a known issue. I was able to find that instructions on the replacement of it as well. http://theeshadow.com/files/volvo/TN...2007-06-26.pdf

I tried messing with the headlight switch and could never get the brights to stay on. I already ordered the replacement switch and the repair seems simple so I am not too worried about it.

I guess I can do some more research on the CD player. I may just wait for one to come on sale on eBay so I don't have to pay full price. I have been procrastinating on this repair since the radio still works but it is annoying that the CD player does not work.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Update on the headlights: It was the switch up on the dash was not on the correct setting. She forgot that her dad drove her car and after that is when it started happening. It would of been nice if she would of told me that before. Once I told her about the other switch she noticed it was on the wrong setting. Thanks Hudini for reminding me to check that.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No prob. Let us know what the going rate is for a replacement CD changer. I know one is in my future.

As for the recall I was always under the impression that the dealer takes care of the recall at no cost to you since it's a safety issue. One accident due to this and they are going to pay a whole lot more.