Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Severe (I think) brake problem! Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe (I think) brake problem! Please help!!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any feedback or help would be much appreciated.

I am new to Volvo ownership and recently bought a 2005 S40 T5 (FWD), 30k miles, fsh. Passed the MOT fine, but had a note about the rear brakes getting a bit thin, but as I really like the car I thought I would treat her to new discs and pads, front & rear. I ordered some from an internet supplier, grooved, drilled with redstuff pads.

I had them fitted today and instantly I noticed a really bad scraping noise, coming from the discs on the front (both sides) - it may be making the same noise from the rear but as the noise from the front was so loud I couldnt tell. As I pulled away it was scraping but as I built up speed the noise seemed to subside. My initial thought was that it wasnt anything to worry about and was just the whole setup bedding in. But after a while I could still hear that the front discs were still making the noise and the disc on the passenger side was making a scraping noise louder than the rest, but as I was going fast the outside noise was such that it hadnt gone away, but was bearly audible.

As I moved on to slower roads the noise became much louder, and if I had the windows down it would be really loud and embarrasing! The funny thing is that it was not constant, but sometimes it would do it, sometimes it wouldnt, and it didnt seem that braking stopped the noise. By the time I had realised that it is a problem, I had done nearly 50 miles and was well on my way home (the garage was near my mother in laws over 100 miles away, and as It was shutting as I left, I couldnt go back there).

My instinct is that the certainly the front left disc, maybe all of them, are rubbing on the caliper. After a hundred mile trip back there is no scoring on the front of the disc or anything like that, but I have tried looking at it and I wonder if the disc is a millimeter or 2 too big? The company that provided the brakes actually make them to order, so could this be a possibility?

More importantly is there anything that can be done to the caliper to give any more room to the disc?

Or can a garage machine off a millimeter off its overall size, if that is the problem?

Any thoughts??

Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your brakes actually dragging? If the pads are dragging you can sand them down a bit with sand paper on a flat surface.

Slotted and/or drilled rotors will be noisier than the regular flat rotors. From what I have read, the Reds can also be noisy. They may need time to wear in.
Stan

Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 AM

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your thoughts! I dont know whether they are dragging - seems a little stange if all of them are doing it? although one is markedly louder than the others so it could be a possibility.

I have had drilled discs before, and although they are a tiny bit louder under braking, they are no different when not under braking, and as I mentioned these seem to be rubbing most of the time.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Default Problem solved!!

Would like to share the answer / solution to the brake problem detailed above.

Having consulted 3 different garages for an opinion, some of their thoughts were:

Disc too big, and rubbing on the caliper.
Disc out of alignment
Caliper not releasing fully
Too fat pad inserted

However, after trying to take a logical view, and having a good look myself, it seemed that the brake disc heat shields had all been moved / or knocked slightly out of position. Setting them all back properly I now have no metal on metal squeaks at all!! (There is still a slight noise but this sounds much more like brakes bedding in, and hopefully nothing to worry about!).

I can enjoy the Volvo again - Hooray!