Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2006 s40 electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 s40 electrical problems

I need some input cause i feel like I am getting royaly screwed by Volvo. After I first bought my 2006 S40 i had one incident where the control module just stopped working (no problem I was under warrenty and was supplied with a loaner car immediately). 6 months later (recently) I have began experiencing a problem where when my car was idle if i turned the wheel my electric would cut out and stall the car. The problem got so bad that when I was driving sometimes the electric would cut out and come back 3 - 5 seconds later. This problem always started with the flickering of the head unit and cracking through the speakers. Finally, the car died and was towed to Volvo (not the one I purchased it at , the one closer to my home).

Here I was told I could not get a loaner car because I did not purchase the Volvo at the dealership where the car was being service (UNDER WARRENTY). I do not see how this is possible. But they said I could get a discount rate at the car rental shop CONVENIENTLY LOCATED NEXT DOOR!!!! (I felt as if though I should have a loaner and that they are trying to make money off of my by offering me a discounted rental next door, clearly a business ploy). Has anyone ever heard of this policy of no loaners unless you get your under warrenty volvo fixerd at the dealership you pruchased it at?

Three days later they still have my car and informed me that the head unit is giving them o positive reading and they believe the ECU may be defective (and they are lookinginto the entire batch of computers being defective). I thought it sounds like a non-sense exceuse to keep my car because they really have no idea what is wrong...has anyone every encountered this problem or possibly know what is creating it?

TO end a long story, any advice or comments on what I can do to get a loaner and/or my car back quicker would be appreciated. Even if you know what is wrong cause they don't. Then again telling me I can rent a car just seems like they snicker when i leave cause they have some kind of deal going.

THis Volvo is making me broke,...before I decide to let them fix it and switch to a Saab and/or Audi please help me!!!! It would be a shame, one Volvo saved my life and I love the car.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2006 s40 electrical problems

I don't know about your Volvo dealership but when I took my S60 in for service at Volvo of Louisville (once under warranty & twice since out of warranty), an S60 that I didn't buy from them and that originally was purchased at the Volvo dealership in Lexington, Kentucky, I was provided with a loaner all three times, at no cost to me. Electronics are sensitive in the Volvos but I've never heard of the entire batch of computers being bad. Not saying that they couldn't, just that I've not heard of that. I know it's further away but if you can't seem to get satisfaction from this dealer I would take it back to the original dealer, and let Volvo NA know about your experience.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 s40 electrical problems

So a follow up. After speaking with Volvo of North America here in lovely New Jersey I have been informed that indeed they have no obligation to give you loaners cars, as per they are all now independently owned.

As for my vehicle, they stated that a control module is down and even after replacement it is still not giving their system a positive reading. Like I said this is the second time it has happened. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong, seeming the dealer knows nothing but besides what Volvo codes tell them (aka fake mechanics)?