Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2006 Volvo S40 Keeps Flooding/Stalling/Stuttering

Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Unhappy 2006 Volvo S40 Keeps Flooding/Stalling/Stuttering

It cranks just fine. But once it is cranked, it floods. If you immediately press in the gas after cranking it, sometimes it goes and you can drive a small amount of distance. When you come back to a stop, it starts stuttering and shuts off.

We have tried cleaning the throttle body, it didn't help. We tried changing spark plugs 5 times and that didn't help, it just made them turn black. We tried changing the coolant temperature sensor, that didn't help.

The mechanic also said the the fuel pressure is at 80 and it should be somewhere between 40-50.

I read online that it could be one of the following problems but this is just from other peoples volvos having the similar issue:

- Fuel Pressure Sensor could need replacing.(I wonder if this is why the fuel pressure is at 80)
- Pump Electronic Module could be corroded.
- Mass Airflow Sensor could need replacing.

These things seem less likely but I did find them as a solution to other peoples volvo issues.

- Idle Air Control Valve could need replacing.
- RPM pickup sensor could be dead.
- Fuel line could be blocked.
- Ignition wires could be frayed.
- Fuel filter could need cleaning.
- Fuel injectors could need cleaning.

I am posting this in hopes that someone knows a lot about a 2006 Volvo S40 and why it would be flooding/stuttering after cranking up. I would also like to mention that this car actually flooded with water for a period of a few months through the sunroof. We got all the water out and repaired the sunroof and it no longer leaks. However, there has always been electrical issues in the dash like an error saying we need to replace air bags or dome lights(which we don't need to do).

Old 01-09-2018, 01:26 PM

I have the earlier version of the V40 but did have similar symptoms to what you describe. The only way I could start my car was to floor the gas while turning the ignition and then I had to keep the pedal on the gas for about 30s after starting.

I took out the Idle Control Valve and sprayed the crap out of it with brake-cleaner multiple times. I then put it back in. Worked like a charm. That was three years ago and it's still going strong. Give this a try. It's easy and cheap. Never know it might work!

Re: the dash messages, the airbag message may just need to be reset. Maybe someone nearby has a version of VIDA they can offer up to avoid a trip to the dealership...

Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Thank you for your quick response.

That's exactly what it's doing. I have to put it into drive immediately after cranking it to get the car to go and then keep my foot on the gas pedal or it stutters and eventually cuts off.

I actually have to somehow drive it a couple of miles from my usual mechanic to my house just so I can tow it to another mechanic that actually knows more about Volvos.

I will definitely mention your solution to him because my usual mechanic didn't try that.

Is it simple to take out, clean and lube the IACV? I'm no mechanic but I work on computers a lot. I have to take out and lube up a case fan monthly to keep it from making noise.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 AM

Quite easy. You could do this yourself without breaking a sweat. Here is a video of someone doing just that on the deisel version. The icv should be in the same spot on the petrol model.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 AM

I will definitely try this when I am near my car again. It's still at my usual mechanic. I should probably try this before I tow it all the way to another mechanic. Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:04 PM

It turns out a 2006 Volvo S40 does not have an IACV. They stopped using them in 2004.

The mechanic helped us pull the car to my house so we can get it on a trailer and take it to a new mechanic.

For some reason, now the battery is dead. There's no power to the car. Which is weird because when we left it at the mechanic, the battery was fine and we had no power issues.