Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   2006 Volvo S40 please help (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/2006-volvo-s40-please-help-96425/)

Sammi_Amor 05-13-2018 10:41 AM

2006 Volvo S40 please help

Okay so i don’t know where to even start with this car. It has 99k miles on it and it hates me. I bought it March 13,2018 used it for about 200 miles and then it just turned off while I was driving! Turned out to be alternator belt so I changed it. Then the camshaft was over advanced and fixed that. Drove amazing for 4 days and turned off AGAIN. I push the car to the sidewalk and open the trunk and no smoke nothing. Check the timing and the timing belt is starting to shred. Won’t even turn on and when I step on the gas...NOTHING. What gives!? I paid 3500 for the car and already put $400 extra into it. Can someone please help me? What is wrong with it and is it even worth fixing at this point.

Hudini 05-15-2018 06:51 PM

This car is pretty bulletproof when properly maintained. It does have it's quirks though. Voltage must be almost perfect all the time. The car will act very strange when it's not happy with the voltage. So first things first. What is the battery voltage? It should be 12.2 or so when the car is off and 14.4 volts when running. A digital multimeter is a great tool and a cheap investment. Get one and use the DC Volt scale. You are trying to determine if the alternator is charging.

When you say the timing belt is starting to shred did you mean the actual timing belt or the alternator belt (which you mentioned being replaced)? A shredding timing belt is a very serious issue that must be addressed by a mechanic. A shredding alternator belt is a different matter. Given your earlier replacement I would begin to suspect the alternator itself.

Sammi_Amor 05-15-2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hudini (Post 459856)
This car is pretty bulletproof when properly maintained. It does have it's quirks though. Voltage must be almost perfect all the time. The car will act very strange when it's not happy with the voltage. So first things first. What is the battery voltage? It should be 12.2 or so when the car is off and 14.4 volts when running. A digital multimeter is a great tool and a cheap investment. Get one and use the DC Volt scale. You are trying to determine if the alternator is charging.

When you say the timing belt is starting to shred did you mean the actual timing belt or the alternator belt (which you mentioned being replaced)? A shredding timing belt is a very serious issue that must be addressed by a mechanic. A shredding alternator belt is a different matter. Given your earlier replacement I would begin to suspect the alternator itself.

hello! Brand new battery cost me $200 right before my car stopped working and the alternator was good. The alternator belt is good now but yes like I said it is the timing belt beginning shredding.

Hudini 05-16-2018 08:45 AM

Something is terribly wrong if the timing belt is being shred. There are 6 things that touch the timing belt. The two cam gears, the idler, the tensioner, the water pump, and the crank gear. I would start taking the timing cover off to find the problem. Timing belts are supposed to last for years and years.

The car not working could also be the ignition switch itself. When mine started to fail the car would sometimes not do anything when I turned the key. I would rotate the key back and forth until it finally cranked over and started. Replacement is a PITA but fairly inexpensive for the DIY person. A shop is going to hit you for labor so it's not cheap. Just my guess.

Sammi_Amor 05-16-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hudini (Post 459896)
Something is terribly wrong if the timing belt is being shred. There are 6 things that touch the timing belt. The two cam gears, the idler, the tensioner, the water pump, and the crank gear. I would start taking the timing cover off to find the problem. Timing belts are supposed to last for years and years.

The car not working could also be the ignition switch itself. When mine started to fail the car would sometimes not do anything when I turned the key. I would rotate the key back and forth until it finally cranked over and started. Replacement is a PITA but fairly inexpensive for the DIY person. A shop is going to hit you for labor so it's not cheap. Just my guess.

That’s the thing with this car, it will turn off while I’m driving if something is wrong. I know for a fact one of the gears caused the shred because it’s stuck. But when I try to start/ rev my car I step on the gas and it’s like nothing moves.

AutoNaut 05-23-2018 12:04 AM

When the serpentine belts (alternator belt) goes on these cars it sometimes fouls the timing belt. Could this be what happened to your timing belt?

Sammi_Amor 05-23-2018 12:47 AM

It did, made the camshaft over advanced and got that fixed. Will be taking my car to another shop. Problem is when I step on the gas to try to start it up there’s no fuel reaching where it needs to go

mt6127 05-23-2018 11:16 AM

totally confused by your issues - there are two different belts - the accessory belt and the timing belt (which is under the timing belt cover on the nose of the engine near the right front wheel well). Which did you inspect? When you say the car doesn't start up when you hit the gas - are you saying the car will start and idle but has no power or will the car won't even start at all? If it won't start at all, does it turn over with the starter motor? If it turns over does it sound normal?

Sammi_Amor 05-23-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 460157)
totally confused by your issues - there are two different belts - the accessory belt and the timing belt (which is under the timing belt cover on the nose of the engine near the right front wheel well). Which did you inspect? When you say the car doesn't start up when you hit the gas - are you saying the car will start and idle but has no power or will the car won't even start at all? If it won't start at all, does it turn over with the starter motor? If it turns over does it sound normal?

The first post Is very clear. My Serpentine belt blew up into shreds in my car stopped. I replace the serpentine belt and then it still wouldn’t go. It wouldn’t even turn on. It didn’t turn on because the timing belt wasn’t on correctly because it skipped when my serpentine belt failed. It messed the timing up. Got the timing put back into place, ran great for 4 days. Then while I was driving it turn off AGAIN on its own because I went over a hard bump. I pop the hood, open the timing cover and the timing belt is starting to rip. No smoke no sound. Will not turn on at all and stepping on the gas while trying to jump my battery doesn’t do anything. No idle , nothing.

FREE-PPV 06-30-2018 02:17 PM

Had a similar issue with water pump freezing and throwing timing belt off, destroyed all the valves, so if your even jumped a few teeth, likely you have no more ability to start with bent valves.

tony1963 06-30-2018 06:07 PM

Sorry guys but I can't get a handle on what's going on. There seems to be confusion over a timing belt versus a serpentine belt.

habbyguy 07-01-2018 01:19 PM

I'm also having a lot of trouble with the description of the symptoms. Bottom line is, if the timing belt is "shredding", there's something seriously (and terminally) wrong. The OP mentioned that one of the "gears" is stuck. I suppose he could mean that one of the cams is frozen, and that is keeping the engine from turning over (if so, it can only be a blessing in disguise, since turning over an engine with a stuck camshaft is a quick ticket to bent valves).

I'm kind of at a loss as to how the position of the gas pedal or fuel getting where it needs to go has any relevance though. Being able to clearly and accurately articulate the symptoms can save a boatload of money at the shop (or if you're a DIY'er, looking for advice on forums).

remmy123 07-11-2020 12:22 PM

Thread from the dead. This just happened to me. 2013 S60 T5 2WD 109K miles. Im upside down in this car and hurting for money due to corona virus. I depended on this car f*** me. I havent bothered putting on a new belt. Instead I just borescoped the cylinders to see the shiny new marks on my pistons. I've got shots of all cylinders accept no.4 because it was pretty much top dead center and it was too high for my camera.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...2e5916a81f.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...1b85dea914.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...1197aabe2d.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...926701e944.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...9bbb8ba574.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...e9c9bccb62.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...aef3a1e339.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...b706cceaf8.jpg

mt6127 07-12-2020 12:11 PM

a nice set of valve dings. is the timing belt intact? if this was a recent event (running nice them boom...) you likely have bent exhaust valves. If the belt is intact you may have jumped timing - check the timing marks, then do a compression test. a turbo engine should be 150 PSI, NAs about 180.

remmy123 07-12-2020 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 487724)
a nice set of valve dings. is the timing belt intact? if this was a recent event (running nice them boom...) you likely have bent exhaust valves. If the belt is intact you may have jumped timing - check the timing marks, then do a compression test. a turbo engine should be 150 PSI, NAs about 180.

yup. Driving roughly 35mph. Slowly accelerating from a stop light in traffic and power went gone. Timing belt is intact. Im not going to bother with a compression test. Motor totally had a bad day. Good news is no broken valves on the pistons I guess?

habbyguy 07-14-2020 01:41 PM

Yep, that stinks. FWIW, that mileage / age seems awfully "young" for a timing belt to slip like that. Maybe something else failred (tensioner?) or it got oil-soaked at some point?

The good news is that you don't have to spend more time troubleshooting the engine - it's a paperweight. I guess it might be possible to do a head swap but I'm betting you will spend less time and money just finding a good boneyard motor and swapping out the whole enchilada.

remmy123 07-14-2020 01:58 PM

It is young. I suspect the tensioner failed like others and the rest was a chain event. I've since contacted Volvo for help. I don't know what they are going to do with it if at all (I won't blame them really, car is over 100k). They wrote back and asked me to have it officially diagnosed by a dealer. I think the $150 to spend towing and paying for an inspection might be worth the investment in the long run if something can happen. I'm waiting on the call for an appointment right now so I can drop it off and pay them to tell me what I already know. Well see. I guess if Volvo has asked me to do this thus far there might be a chance for some help right?

If this doesn't go through I also SERIOUSLY lucked out. My neighbor is a mechanic and saw my now Swedish driveway ornament sitting there with the hood popped. I've never really talked to him much outside of chit chat. He stopped by yesterday and offered to help me out and fix it in the driveway for $Beer.99! Were going to even take the turbo and send it off to get rebuilt too since well be in there. He will forever get anything he needs if he asks for my help in the future.

habbyguy 07-15-2020 02:15 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on Volvo coming through, but if it looks like a possibility, might be worth the risk of spending the tow / diagnosis fee. OTOH, they might just give you $3000 discount on the $10000 motor swap. ;-)

Good news on having a wrench-twisting neighbor. Those can come in handy (though I've never had one, only been one). ;-)

mt6127 07-16-2020 12:07 PM

well Volvo's service intervals for the S40 timing belt is 10 years or 120K miles - whichever comes first (excepting for the Cali-car engines which is longer) with a replacement of the tensioner at the servicing so it was probably the original tensioner that failed after 14 years. If you swap the engine you can probably rebuild the old one's head when its out of the car and sell that to defray some costs. A lot easier to rebuild an engine on a stand...