2006 Volvo S40 please help - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum


Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Default 2006 Volvo S40 please help

Okay so i donít know where to even start with this car. It has 99k miles on it and it hates me. I bought it March 13,2018 used it for about 200 miles and then it just turned off while I was driving! Turned out to be alternator belt so I changed it. Then the camshaft was over advanced and fixed that. Drove amazing for 4 days and turned off AGAIN. I push the car to the sidewalk and open the trunk and no smoke nothing. Check the timing and the timing belt is starting to shred. Wonít even turn on and when I step on the gas...NOTHING. What gives!? I paid 3500 for the car and already put $400 extra into it. Can someone please help me? What is wrong with it and is it even worth fixing at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Hudini's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 2,642
Default

This car is pretty bulletproof when properly maintained. It does have it's quirks though. Voltage must be almost perfect all the time. The car will act very strange when it's not happy with the voltage. So first things first. What is the battery voltage? It should be 12.2 or so when the car is off and 14.4 volts when running. A digital multimeter is a great tool and a cheap investment. Get one and use the DC Volt scale. You are trying to determine if the alternator is charging.

When you say the timing belt is starting to shred did you mean the actual timing belt or the alternator belt (which you mentioned being replaced)? A shredding timing belt is a very serious issue that must be addressed by a mechanic. A shredding alternator belt is a different matter. Given your earlier replacement I would begin to suspect the alternator itself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:35 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudini View Post
This car is pretty bulletproof when properly maintained. It does have it's quirks though. Voltage must be almost perfect all the time. The car will act very strange when it's not happy with the voltage. So first things first. What is the battery voltage? It should be 12.2 or so when the car is off and 14.4 volts when running. A digital multimeter is a great tool and a cheap investment. Get one and use the DC Volt scale. You are trying to determine if the alternator is charging.

When you say the timing belt is starting to shred did you mean the actual timing belt or the alternator belt (which you mentioned being replaced)? A shredding timing belt is a very serious issue that must be addressed by a mechanic. A shredding alternator belt is a different matter. Given your earlier replacement I would begin to suspect the alternator itself.
hello! Brand new battery cost me $200 right before my car stopped working and the alternator was good. The alternator belt is good now but yes like I said it is the timing belt beginning shredding.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Hudini's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 2,642
Default

Something is terribly wrong if the timing belt is being shred. There are 6 things that touch the timing belt. The two cam gears, the idler, the tensioner, the water pump, and the crank gear. I would start taking the timing cover off to find the problem. Timing belts are supposed to last for years and years.

The car not working could also be the ignition switch itself. When mine started to fail the car would sometimes not do anything when I turned the key. I would rotate the key back and forth until it finally cranked over and started. Replacement is a PITA but fairly inexpensive for the DIY person. A shop is going to hit you for labor so it's not cheap. Just my guess.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudini View Post
Something is terribly wrong if the timing belt is being shred. There are 6 things that touch the timing belt. The two cam gears, the idler, the tensioner, the water pump, and the crank gear. I would start taking the timing cover off to find the problem. Timing belts are supposed to last for years and years.

The car not working could also be the ignition switch itself. When mine started to fail the car would sometimes not do anything when I turned the key. I would rotate the key back and forth until it finally cranked over and started. Replacement is a PITA but fairly inexpensive for the DIY person. A shop is going to hit you for labor so it's not cheap. Just my guess.
Thatís the thing with this car, it will turn off while Iím driving if something is wrong. I know for a fact one of the gears caused the shred because itís stuck. But when I try to start/ rev my car I step on the gas and itís like nothing moves.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 AM
AutoNaut's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 732
Default

When the serpentine belts (alternator belt) goes on these cars it sometimes fouls the timing belt. Could this be what happened to your timing belt?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2018, 12:47 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Default

It did, made the camshaft over advanced and got that fixed. Will be taking my car to another shop. Problem is when I step on the gas to try to start it up thereís no fuel reaching where it needs to go
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 3,604
Default

totally confused by your issues - there are two different belts - the accessory belt and the timing belt (which is under the timing belt cover on the nose of the engine near the right front wheel well). Which did you inspect? When you say the car doesn't start up when you hit the gas - are you saying the car will start and idle but has no power or will the car won't even start at all? If it won't start at all, does it turn over with the starter motor? If it turns over does it sound normal?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt6127 View Post
totally confused by your issues - there are two different belts - the accessory belt and the timing belt (which is under the timing belt cover on the nose of the engine near the right front wheel well). Which did you inspect? When you say the car doesn't start up when you hit the gas - are you saying the car will start and idle but has no power or will the car won't even start at all? If it won't start at all, does it turn over with the starter motor? If it turns over does it sound normal?
The first post Is very clear. My Serpentine belt blew up into shreds in my car stopped. I replace the serpentine belt and then it still wouldnít go. It wouldnít even turn on. It didnít turn on because the timing belt wasnít on correctly because it skipped when my serpentine belt failed. It messed the timing up. Got the timing put back into place, ran great for 4 days. Then while I was driving it turn off AGAIN on its own because I went over a hard bump. I pop the hood, open the timing cover and the timing belt is starting to rip. No smoke no sound. Will not turn on at all and stepping on the gas while trying to jump my battery doesnít do anything. No idle , nothing.

Last edited by Sammi_Amor; 05-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 40
Default

Had a similar issue with water pump freezing and throwing timing belt off, destroyed all the valves, so if your even jumped a few teeth, likely you have no more ability to start with bent valves.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Birmingham AL
Posts: 1,270
Default

Sorry guys but I can't get a handle on what's going on. There seems to be confusion over a timing belt versus a serpentine belt.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 235
Default

I'm also having a lot of trouble with the description of the symptoms. Bottom line is, if the timing belt is "shredding", there's something seriously (and terminally) wrong. The OP mentioned that one of the "gears" is stuck. I suppose he could mean that one of the cams is frozen, and that is keeping the engine from turning over (if so, it can only be a blessing in disguise, since turning over an engine with a stuck camshaft is a quick ticket to bent valves).

I'm kind of at a loss as to how the position of the gas pedal or fuel getting where it needs to go has any relevance though. Being able to clearly and accurately articulate the symptoms can save a boatload of money at the shop (or if you're a DIY'er, looking for advice on forums).
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please Read This & Help Me...:( I need an answer now please! MNWILD Volvo 240, 740 & 940 18 04-01-2018 09:11 PM
2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T - Emissions problems - Please read mattakinbimwalker Volvo XC90 1 08-06-2015 08:30 AM
s80 d5 se lux 2006 please help mackem38 Volvo S80 5 02-19-2013 09:03 AM
2006 S40: regular or t5? Please Help!!! baer77 Volvo S40 10 07-05-2010 11:24 AM
Do the new 2009 S40 tail lights fit on a 2006 S40? AleCS Volvo S40 1 09-21-2009 03:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.