Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2007 S40 Replacing rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 S40 Replacing rear brakes

Hi everyone!

I replaced the (only one so far) left rear brake of a S40 (2007 2.5L) and I thought that everything went well but for some reason the brakes feel spongy and there is a pump noise coming from the brake pump? The problem is that sounds kinda "dry" yet the fluids are according to spec. I pumped the pedal several times with the car turned off and on and still the pedal goes ALL the way in.
Did I messed something up?
I had to improvise with the brake piston caliper tool as the rented one does not have the proper discs, a criss-cross screwdrivers with a lot of elbow grease did the job but still, it worked.
Any ideas? I am worried on starting on the other side... that vacuum pump does not sound good, especially (maybe exclusively) when the engine is turned off.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 AM

Who in their right mind will believe that having cameras at intersections will save lives? The drivers are all idiots, too slow, too fast, no blinkers, high volume, raged lunatics, lost, drunks, rednecks, then when the traffic starts flowing they don’t want to stop when the light is turning red.... It isn’t going to stop. It just means auto-ticket, auto-income for the authorities, the more the merrier, no need to pay cops, who can’t control the high volume of idiots on the road. Those who don’t know that there’s a camera, will continue to run the lights, only to become the next victims.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by fanito
Hi everyone!

I replaced the (only one so far) left rear brake of a S40 (2007 2.5L) and I thought that everything went well but for some reason the brakes feel spongy and there is a pump noise coming from the brake pump? The problem is that sounds kinda "dry" yet the fluids are according to spec. I pumped the pedal several times with the car turned off and on and still the pedal goes ALL the way in.
Did I messed something up?
I had to improvise with the brake piston caliper tool as the rented one does not have the proper discs, a criss-cross screwdrivers with a lot of elbow grease did the job but still, it worked.
Any ideas? I am worried on starting on the other side... that vacuum pump does not sound good, especially (maybe exclusively) when the engine is turned off.

When you compressed the caliper piston, did you push too much fluid back into the master cylinder ?

Also, check Harbor Freight for the caliper tool. They sell them them cheap !

Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by matt1
who in their right mind will believe that having cameras at intersections will save lives? The drivers are all idiots, too slow, too fast, no blinkers, high volume, raged lunatics, lost, drunks, rednecks, then when the traffic starts flowing they don’t want to stop when the light is turning red.... It isn’t going to stop. It just means auto-ticket, auto-income for the authorities, the more the merrier, no need to pay cops, who can’t control the high volume of idiots on the road. Those who don’t know that there’s a camera, will continue to run the lights, only to become the next victims.

??
:d

Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Default additional brake question

This is my first post so I apologize if I am placing this in error but I believe its the right place. Anyway, I have a 2007 S40 with about 95,000 miles on it. I started hearing some grinding sound coming from my rear tires and noticed excessive brake dust on one my rims. I figured I needed new brakes and placed an order for pads and rotors. While I waited for them I decided to inspect the braking system. I took off my tire and noticed surface rust on my rotor and when I rotated it I could tell where the pad was. Admittedly I seldom drive as I bike most everywhere unless its too far. The pads look thick enough as did the rotors but I decided to remove the caliper to inspect the backside of the rotor. After which I decided a good cleaning was all that was needed. I cleaned the rotors and greased the pads and tried to put it all pad together. The caliper wouldn't fit back on the rotor so I had to squeeze the cylinder a bit and in order to get it to fit back on the rotor. After everything was put back together I had all kinds of problems, but that's another thread. I researched brake a bit more and noticed Chilton states that the brakes should be secured depressed with a pedal jack. First off, did I do any damage by not using a brake tool on the cylinder??and what's with the depressed pedal. I was always under the impression not to push the brakes when trying to work on them. Thoughts?? Thanks.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Default continuation

I forgot to mention my S40 is a 2.4i.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The rear caliper pistons are retracted by turning the piston back into the bore. Squeezing the piston like you do the front calipers could damage them (emphasis on could). The turning is needed because of the parking brake mechanism which acts like a big screw. I have had to replace a caliper because it would not retract no matter how much turning I did.