Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Replacing rear brakes including parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear brakes including parking brake

I want to replace the rear brakes, including the parking brake on my 850 wagon (glt). Can someone tell me the parts (Volvo or equivalent) or a kit, I need and the best place to get them. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Rear brake rotors and pads can be sourced from almost any local parts store or on line. It's up to you what quality you want and what you are willing to pay. You need to do the shopping.

The parking brake shoes, part number 820 are a little more difficult. Oreilly has them for 25.99 and I just picked up a set at Autozone ($80.99 lifetime warranty includes wear) and they price matched Oreilly. The hardware kit for the parking brake I've found to be unavailable from any local source in my area and I'll be ordering a kit from FCPGroton.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing rear brakes including parking brake-brakes-parking-brake-shoes.jpg   Replacing rear brakes including parking brake-brakes-parking-brake-spring-hit.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a minimum I'd recommend a decent set of ceramic brake pads. Don't get the cheapest set, if you can afford to spend a little more. I've found that the cheaper pads don't last as long and they tend to have that annoying screeching sound when you apply the brakes.

I purchased new pads & rotors from RockAuto Auto Parts because at the time they had a rebate on Raybestos products. I have about 2k miles on them and I'm happy with their performance and wear. I've used Raybestos before on other vehicles with no issues.

Just make sure whatever set of brake pads you buy that they provide new hardware & shims.

I haven't had to replace the parking brake yet. I rarely use it so it still has plenty of life left....

good luck

Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Parking brake pads should never wear out. Why would they??? The 850's do have a problem with the cables, etc. breaking in them and causing them to lock up the rear wheels. That's the only reason I could see messing with them. I think I only use my parking brakes when parked on a step hill or while changing a tire.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Or if you toss the auto into park and you start to get out and feel it start to roll ...... opps !!
Or you just like to do doughnuts in the snow and being front wheel drive it's just a bit too difficult to get the rear to swing around without giving those rear tires a little "brake" That is soooooooo much fun in the snow !!

Or ....... you're just a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy and you want to make sure it isn't going to roll on you. It's a big safety feature if you have to change a tire and don't want to chock the rears. It's in park, emergency brake set and you jack it up ...... it's not going to go anywhere.

I've done without for the two years I've had mine but now that I've found reasonable shoes locally I'll be putting them in as soon as the spring kit from FCP arrives.

I'm trying to make a 1995 850 into a 2012 850 as best I can. It's just me