Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2009 S40 Stock audio system & iPhone problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 S40 Stock audio system & iPhone problems

I'm having problems getting my iPhone working consistently with the stock stereo in my '09 S40 - it's been a constant nagging problem since in bought it in Jan 2009. It mostly just hangs for ages before coming up with "Unavailable" when I hook it up to the USB, while on occasion it does actually connect and I can listen to it.

Even when it does work however, I have issues trying to scroll through playlists/artists/albums etc. It freezes and frequently is missing folders until I scroll back up and down again. I've tried a couple of different iPhone 3G devices, both jailbroken and unjailbroken, numerous cables, both OEM and aftermarket and none of them resolve the problem. Is this a known issue with the stock hardware? Has anyone else managed to get it to work successfully?

I've taken it back to the dealership twice to get them to fix it and both times they said there was a fix and both times, they "fixed" it. At this point they just shrug their shoulders as if to say "What do you expect us to do about it?"... it's so frustrating.

Also, if anyone's managed to hack the stereo to enable full Bluetooth audio, I'd be really interested in hearing about it. I'm sure *someone* must have figured it out... this would effectively bypass the issue I'm having.

If not, how difficult is it to replace the stereo unit with an alternative device that does support this? It seems like the unit is wired into the car's menu system, so I wonder if it's even possible to swap it out - but that's why I'm here asking questions, I really have no idea.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me, I really appreciate it.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Check out the forums over on swedespeed.com someone there might be able to help. There are a couple of volvo techs that frequent that forum.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Saw the advice on Swedespeed.com...

My 4th generation iPod Nano works fine with my 2009 S40 audio system. Maybe the best thing is to get an iPod and use it instead.

With the iPod connection I don't use my CD player anymore.