Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2009 S40 Stock audio system & iPhone problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 S40 Stock audio system & iPhone problems

Since I bought my 2009 S40 in January 2009, I've had consistent problems getting my iPhone to play with the stock stereo. The Bluetooth works fine for the phone but I'm having a less than stellar experience using it for music via the USB connection.

Most of the time when I hook up the phone, after an extensive delay, the message "Unavailable" is displayed on the stereo. After I disconnect and repeat this procedure a handful of times, it connects and I can listen to my music. I've tried 2 different iPhone 3Gs, one jailbroken, one not jailbroken and numerous different wires, both OEM and after-market with the same results. I tried an iPod nano I borrowed from someone else and it works flawlessly.

Is there a known problem with the stock stereo in the S40 and the iPhone? Does anyone else have the stock stereo and use an iPhone? Do you experience the same issues? Could this be a faulty stereo? Does this happen with other Volvo models? Does anyone know of a fix for this? I've taken it to the Volvo dealership and they just shrugged like "what do you expect us to do about it?"

Also, is there any way to hack the stereo unit to enable A2DP (Bluetooth Audio for Music), this would obviously bypass the issue with connecting by wire. It's obviously got the Bluetooth stack in it as it can be used for the phone. My understanding of Bluetooth (being a software engineer) is that if it has a Bluetooth radio, it's just a case of the software being capable of supporting the required functions.

I'd considered replacing the stock stereo with an aftermarket unit, but given its integration into the car's electronic systems, I'm not sure if this is even possible. Any ideas on this?

If anyone could offer any advice, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance