Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

4 different codes (camshaft & crankshaft) help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 different codes (camshaft & crankshaft) help!

Hey All,

So, here's the story. I got in my car last night to come home and the check engine light came on. I figured I'd check it out today as it was running just fine. Then I went to start it this morning and it wouldn't turn over. I tried step on the gas a little and it fired right up, however, as soon as I took my foot off the gas it died. Basically, it won't idle. I scanned it and it gave me 4 different codes.

P0014 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
P0015 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor Range/Performance

I've done some research and it could be anything from a crankshaft position sensor to the timing being off. A little history, it was -15 degrees this morning (not sure if that has anything to do with it), the timing belt was replaced 16,000 miles ago and I only use synthetic oil. Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator. I had the same starting symptoms as you. Replaced the Idle Air Control motor first which did not help. Then after searching this forum and reading about it from others, I replaced the FPR which fixed it right up. It's really a simple fix too.

The trouble codes you list I have seen others report as a bad CVVT solenoid. That is the rectangle shaped part on top of the engine, passenger side, that directs oil to the CVVT gear to advance and retard the exhaust cam. Some have cleaned it with success, most I've read about have not. No actual experience with failed one myself.

Here is the Fuel Pressure Regulator just below the red circle. The red circle is actually where your high pressure fuel enters the top of the FPR. The FPR is held to the fuel rail by 1 bolt. Makes it easy to change.
Name:  fpr.jpg
Views: 15376
Size:  73.3 KB

Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Here is another pic of the Fuel Pressure Regulator with the Idle Air Control motor just below it. I don't seem to have a pic of the CVVT solenoid:
Name:  LyOff.jpg
Views: 2016
Size:  40.9 KB

Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM

I've got the VVT out right now and I'm gonna try cleaning it. I also noticed a lot of oil around it so I'd assume I need a new gasket. I'll also try the FPR. That makes some sense as it's taken quite a few turns to start for some time now. Another friend said it may be a mass flow intake issue. Thoughts?

I see you post a lot of replies on here and just wanted to say thank you for the advice. Much appreciated!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM

I like cars and helping others save money. Plus I'm stuck in the city of Zhuhai in southeastern China and this keeps me sane and out of trouble!

I wouldn't mess with the MAF unless it threw a code.

Please let us know when you get this resolved?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM

Cool cool, thanks again! I wasn't going to mess with the actual MAF, just check for vacuum leaks. Got the VVT cleaned up and going to throw it back in and then check the FPR. I'll update when it's fixed!