Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Aaaahhhh

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
mjv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aaaahhhh

Crap. My '00 s40 just dropped all it's coolant and shut down while at a stoplight. i can't seem to find any manuals or troubleshooting guides. I know the car needed a thermostat and a temp sensor. Just another 6 miles to the autoparts store. &^%%^*!! Any help or direction would be helpful & apreciated. I'm just letting her sit for few days 'till I can find time to open the hood.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know where it is leaking from? It sounds like you probably have a ruptured coolant hose. You may as well change the thermostat while the system is drained.
Stan

Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 AM
mjv
Default Thanks!

I've checked all the hoses I could & found no leak. I then poured a gallon of h20 into the resevoir. Low and behold water came running out of the radiator... So, I'm about to order the radiator, thermostat & temp sensor when I noticed that the oil dipstick handle had melted as well as the back edge of the plastic covering over the plugs. With that much heat being generated, should I do a compression check before replacing anything? I know that an all aluminum motor might well crack at high temp. Any ideas?

P.S is it true that I can't get an accurate comp. test on a cold motor? If so, then it would seem that a c-test would be meaningless. Can I still get readings indicating the integrity of each cyl.?

Last edited by mjv; 01-13-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: further
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even it the numbers are not accurate, it will at least tell you if you are holding compression.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:34 AM

What...? o.o