Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Apples to Apples???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apples to Apples???

Within a certain $ amount would you chose 07 AWD vs 05 non AWD for an S40 (both Turbo). Im in TN so snow or ice isnt usually an issue but AWD has me curious. Does AWD have a practical side??? Better handling or anything. Or just something else to maintain. I have seen vids on changing the haldex fluid. Thanx all, just entertaining the idea of a 3rd car in case of job change and I no longer have a company van. Or as my wife would say, I love my 2.4i and just have a hankerin' for a turbo. Shes probably right but do I want another 4 banger Camry, as reliable as they are??? Oh, Im a service tech and can hit 2k miles a month. Big rural territory. Just wanna toss that out there too.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would choose the 07 AWD for the aux input on the stereo. 05 doesn't have it (07 might not either without the premium sound I think). The FWD goes just fine in snow really. The AWD only kicks in when the fronts slip. My 05 AWD climbed right out of my driveway in Knoxville when we had that tiny bit of snow without ever using the rear wheels.

Turbo is the only way to go.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx "H", good to know. To much price difference for an aux input tho. My 07 doesnt have it AFIK. I have a slight incline on my drive and have left it gravel for a reason. Never had to much trouble in any vehicle in 27 winters, hehe..........Now if I can just get past that light colored interior but its a pretty blue tho. Big thanx again!!!