Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

i cant make up my mind on this mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i cant make up my mind on this mod

so i have an oem crank pulley (harmonic balancer) and a lightweight ARD pulley sitting in front of me. I have an automatic car 2000 s40. its tuned from Upsolute. 10 psi boost, intake, and exhaust. Ive heard how a lightweight non rubberized pulley will wear your crank but ive never seen anyone produce any evidence of this. plus i have that huge torque converter with fluid spinning on the other side which im sure dampens significantly. should i try out the lightweight. i know that its not reducing much mass when it comes to the whole drive train but its soooooo much lighter than the stock pulley and ive heard other people say they do notice faster reving in lower rpms which means i would hit boost sooner. what are everyones thoughts. Anyone running this pulley? its not under drive by the way its oem size

Old 04-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

not sure how the pulley will wear out your crank. The idea of lightened pulleys (and flywheels on manuals) is to reduce rotational inertia so the engine spins up more freely. The only down side I can is is that it will also spin down more freely so you may notice some loss of smoothness in your driving when you lift the throttle.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
not sure how the pulley will wear out your crank. The idea of lightened pulleys (and flywheels on manuals) is to reduce rotational inertia so the engine spins up more freely. The only down side I can is is that it will also spin down more freely so you may notice some loss of smoothness in your driving when you lift the throttle.
yeah i dont know why it would affect the crank or bearings of the crank. apparently thats one of the reasons why people dont use them but i dont see how a little ring of rubber near the belt is going to dampen anything in the engine what so ever. apparently if you take off the dampening rubber and just put on a CNC pulley there will be more vibration and it will hurt motor internals but i just dont see how thats possible. Everyone always talks about that but nobody has ever shown evidence. plus the company i got the pulley from run them on all their volvo cars and have never had an issue. so who knows. If anyone can explain the science to me i would be happy to hear it. and if anyone has ever had some sort of motor part failure directly determined to be from said pulley please leave a comment!
But thanks Mt6127 ill run it and see what happens.