Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Boost pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost pressure

I have a 2001 and would like to get a little more performance out of the engine. I would like to know where I could measure the boost pressure that mine operates at. I have not driven a car newer or older that the 2001 but have been told that this year is somewhat unique as there is no turbo lag? I have been told by another person that I work with that has an 03 and says that his car has this lag. Is there any validity tothis and can you safely increase the boost pressure.

JohnHB

Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Default RE: Boost pressure

Buy a good boost pressure gauge and find a vacuum line in the engine bay and tee off it into ur guage.I am running 13 pounds of boost on my 02 S40 and have noted no problems. I think stock is about 7-8 pounds of boost.bj

Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

1. What is your Hp goal?

2. What is your budget?

3. Do a complete Stage Zero meaning, do all maintainence before you start to mod and if you can find them get silicone turbo hoses and get a silicone vaccum line kit.

4. Get a boost gauge. http://www.egauges.com these guys have great gauges at great prices. I have an Autometer Phantom Series boost/vac gauge. As far a a gauge pod good luck finding one. You going to have to find another way to mount it.

5. You can saftely raise your boost pressure by getting an ECU upgrade. If you look in the General Volvo Forum you will see a thread started by me called like Volvo website links. Click it and look under Volvo Tuners.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Thats great folks thanks for the insight.I will look further into this. As far as cost goes I am willing to spend $2000 to $3000. I think that should afford some opportunities with the intake and exhaust modifications.I was just wondering how much boost you could reasonably add without any mechanical issues.I will do some more digging. Are the silicon hoses designed to negate the air flow losses in the stock hoses?

Old 02-01-2007, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnHB

Thats great folks thanks for the insight.I will look further into this. As far as cost goes I am willing to spend $2000 to $3000. I think that should afford some opportunities with the intake and exhaust modifications.I was just wondering how much boost you could reasonably add without any mechanical issues.I will do some more digging. Are the silicon hoses designed to negate the air flow losses in the stock hoses?
1. It is safe to say you could probably run 12-15PSI saftely. Anything more and you would want to upgrade your internals.

2. Silicone hoses hold boost way better then your stock rubber turbo hoses.

3. Things to think about when modding. Price everything first. Go to local muffler shops to see if they can fab you a system up too. Usually it is cheaper.

I think your turbo is intergrated into your exhaust manifold, but am not sure.

a. 3" downpipe
b. 2.5" catback system with free flowing CAT and free flowing muffler like Magnaflow. Or any muffler that is a straight through design.
c. ECU upgrade (RICA, IPD)

Now you have money or should have money left over to buy other parts. Your stock intake the best setup.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 PM

The turbo is integrated into the manifold in the new S40s, not the old ones. His is 2001.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:27 AM

AutoMeter makes a single gauge pod that fits their gauges.I have my AutoMeter boost/vac gauge mounted on my steering column.Matches all the Volvo instruments.Heico makes a good exhaust system for the S40.Fit and finish are excellent and sound is very nice and muted.I would spend some money and get front and rear shock tower braces.Helps handling a lot.BJ

Old 02-02-2007, 12:38 PM

Autometer might make a single gauge pod for their gauges but it wont fit your Volvo.

http://www.gaugepods.com
This company sells single, dual and triple gauge pods for the Volvo's. Don't know if they make any for your model. However you could get one from them and send it and your A-pillar to Rodrigo of the Volvospeed forum. He will mold the pod into your stock A-pillar for a very custom very stock looking piece. He does great work. Here is his website, http://www.rodpods.net/

As far as HEICO is concerned they are very exspensive and you could have a local shop build you an exhaust system for under $1000 most likely.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:10 PM

You know,Rob,I am becoming a bit tired of you contradicting me every time I post.You posted that there were not any single gauge pods for Autometer gauges.Well,Mr.Know -it -all,I have an Autometer single gauge pod,my boost gauge is mounted in it and IT IS ON THE STEERING COLUMN OF MY CAR.It does fit and fit nicely,thank you very much.You dont want to use a Heico exhaust system on your damn Volvo,then dont use one,have a shop make u one,If u can find a custom exhaust shop that is willing to work on a Volvo.The Heico system works,it fits well,AND THERE IS ONE ON MY CAR.Give some people other than ur self credit for knowing a little bit about what they are posting about before u start shooting off your mouth via your keyboard.You spent board time posting about eyebrows on your s70.Who gives a hoot in Hell about your eyebrows.As a Moderator,you should be more open to input and opinions rather than trashing all but your own.BJ

Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: hocbj23

You know,Rob,I am becoming a bit tired of you contradicting me every time I post.You posted that there were not any single gauge pods for Autometer gauges.Well,Mr.Know -it -all,I have an Autometer single gauge pod,my boost gauge is mounted in it and IT IS ON THE STEERING COLUMN OF MY CAR.It does fit and fit nicely,thank you very much.You dont want to use a Heico exhaust system on your damn Volvo,then dont use one,have a shop make u one,If u can find a custom exhaust shop that is willing to work on a Volvo.The Heico system works,it fits well,AND THERE IS ONE ON MY CAR.Give some people other than ur self credit for knowing a little bit about what they are posting about before u start shooting off your mouth via your keyboard.You spent board time posting about eyebrows on your s70.Who gives a hoot in Hell about your eyebrows.As a Moderator,you should be more open to input and opinions rather than trashing all but your own.BJ
Look here you arogant little *****.

Your gauge pod might fit on your steering column. However if you want an A-pillar mount it wont work. You have to get one that is made for the Volvo's. Unless you want to get a ****ty one and then some way or another mount it on the A-pillar.

Yeah the HEICO exhaust is great, but is it worth like $2k to spent on it? I bet not. You can give your opinion and I can give mine.

So why don't you just shut your mouth and move along.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:31 PM

P.S.: If you don't like what you read then don't read my posts, or my threads. That is the simple solution.

As a moderator I am open to suggestions, but when they are out of most peoples price range I give them the best alternatives. A $2k exhaust system could be the best thing in the world, but it probably isn't. And when a local shop can make you one for half that or even more then I would suggest going that way instead of spending $2K on a name. Your paying for the name nothing else. HEICO sells great items. No doubt about it, but you pay for the name.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM

I tell u what ,S-A,I will shut up and move along if u promise to do the same thing.If the words "not,wont,cant" werent in ur vocabulary,u couldnt post.BJ

Old 02-02-2007, 04:33 PM

Bump>And by the way ,u arrogant BIG *****,sometimes a name that u pay for stands for quality so it is well woth paying a bit more.BJ