Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Can anyone help me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me?

I have a 2005 Volvo s40 T5 , it was my first new car and it has been the worst experience ever. Since the day I bought it I have always had to go to the dealer for one thing or another, it was worse than when I had my old used car. The problem I have now it has a "Check Engine" light that turns off and on. I have taken it to the dealer and they wanted to ccharge my $4,000 to fix it and they said they did not know if it would even resolve the problem!! I took it to a place where they specialize in Volvo cars and they were able to fix it but it came back on and today I have the "Engine System Required" turn on. I don't know what to do anymore. I have always been consistent with my service and if anyone knows why this is happening or have had any experience with this please advise me. I woulld truly appreciate it.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Default The never-ending check engine light

I was hoping Volvo would have taken care of this problem. My 2001 S40 has had its check engine light locked in for over 2 years now. Its become totally useless, because its getting a constant signal stating the O2 sensor(s) is/are bad.

Only thing is, they're not. I even replaced one and the light came right back on. I refused to spend $300 more to replace the other one, especially since the shop ran voltage checks to verify both sensors were working. I doubt the one I replaced even needed it.

I haven't had many other bad experiences though, sorry to hear you have. Mine's over 200K miles, going on 10 years old, and has never had any real engine difficulties. I go through the occasional bearing replacements, rotor replacements and tires, all the usual, but nothing truly big. I'm trying to figure out if I can replace the serpentine belt myself to avoid another $400 chunk, but I can't complain about the engine!

Sorry I can't be of more help on this, other than to say you're not the only (by far, I think) who has the perpetual check engine light issue. I believe its a purely sensor/computer issue and doesn't reflect any real problem when it does this.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM

So what were they going to do for $4,000? The one dealer didn't fix it the first time and you kept going back to that dealer? I would try another dealer. If it is a re-occuring problem then it may be covered even if your warranty is up.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Default Check engine light

Typical of the high mileage S40's is the Catalytic converter to fail. That will also potentially damage the O2 sensors.