Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Car loosing power, Dealer...dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car loosing power, Dealer...dissapointed

Dealer and I found out that the car is loosing power when it runs for approx 15min on road like I need to press the gaz to the max to gain up speed. Instead of 227hp it turns to be 110hp... Motor sounds perfect but it seems that the computer bugs after 15 min of driving...I need to stop the car and restart to have the power back.. Dealer worked more than 8h on it..they even took out the motor and check but they still didnt find the problem. They told me to meet them tomorrow to ask if I want to repair something that they are not sure if it would solve the problem... What do you guys think? any suggestions? like I already spend more than 600$ and this is the third time in a row that I'm going to see them because my check engine light is still on. Pretty much dissapointed because they dont even know the problem after trying to change everything. My car has 98 000miles, S40 T5 2004.05. Tired of problems...

Parts that has been changed : Head gasket (they changed it without telling me 8h of work)
Turbo Intake Pipe ( 245$ + dianogstic + hours of work)
2 Coils (90$ each + dianogstic + hours of work)
5 new sparks plug 75$

Stuff that need to be repair : Power seat (both are not working)
Power lock (the whole kit need to be change)
Front Window crack lol

Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe the turbo is bad?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM

I dont think so... My brother went to the dealer to get the car back and they said that they couldnt solve the problem... They tried changing the oxygen, MAF and pretty much every sensor and it does the same problem. 18 hours working on the car.

My brother found out that it might be the air filter. The filter wasnt from volvo..(cheap one) and we guess that the oil inside the filter might contaminated the sensor...moreover, grey dust were forming everywhere on the filter. We just change it 3 month ago by a garage.

Anyway, filter is change now and we are going to test it tomorrow and I'm going to give you news.. if the problem still occur, I'm going to clean the sensor with a expensive electronic spray cleaner (sensor, electrical motor...) By the way, the car gives a code (Mass air flow leak...)

Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Administrator

I will be waiting to hear back. But I will not be on tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Alright after changing the filter, the car seems to be better, it takes more time before the car loose power. I wasnt able to take off and clean the MAF sensor and will go to a garage to find the correct Allen key with a hole in the middle. Beside that a week ago, volvo dealer also changed two coil because of cylinder 1 and 2 misfire. Today, the code came back and the car is misfiring...

This is what I get from OBDII

P2281: Air leak Between MAF and Throttle Body
P0301 and P0302 : Cylinder 1 & 2 Misfire Detected

Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 PM

The only thing i could think of to try would be to disconnect battery and let the ecu reset ..... U might as well give it a try....

To me it sounds like these guys r just taking ur $$$....

Does the car have any other mods (chip,exhaust...)

And how do u know about the HP r u puttin it on a dyno ?

Could be something to do with the fuel .... Injector/s....

Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 PM

Hehe I did disconnect the battery and wait few minutes before reconnecting it. No chip had been add to this car and for the HP, I was just comparing it to a honda civic lol

Dealer clean all fuel injectors, try to change every sensor such as the MAF and the Oxygen, they cleaned the throttle body, change a gasket...basically they took the whole air intake off and examinated...

The only thing I could do if problems occur after cleaning the MAF sensor is to order a new computer module and give it a try. Volvo told me that it cost around 300$... quite expansive..mostly when I'm still a full student without job...

Thanks for your support and I appreciated!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Has the fuel filter been changed?

The air leak means you might have a vacuum leak.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:53 AM

It might be a good idea to change the fuel filter but I'll see with my BWM garage (friend) near my house to have a check... he said that it might be the turbo valve or something related with the turbo.

I was driving yesturday, the problem occured and just like that I tried to erase the check engine with OBD II at idle and the car came back to normal (power came back).

I just read my vovlo dealer receipt and it is written ''car was running normal, this means that there is a sensor that is going out of range, will need to check be replacing front oxygen sensor but customer refused further work''

If this is the problem, I'll be happy but it is strange that this sensor will have a connection with the MAF sensor like there is 1 module for every two sensors. I didnt want them to change it because they were up to 15 hours of working and I dont want to pay that...

Another paper from dealer ''Control module - Diagnostic trouble code''

ECM-1300 Mass air flow (MAF) sensor - Fautly signal IblFaultCurrent
ECM-262A long-term fuel trim idle, bnak 1 - upper limite IblFaultCurrent
ECM-3503 Misfire, at least one cylinder - Emission agitation IblFaultCurrent
ECM-6814 Turbo Control - Signal too high IblFaultCurrent

Hope it will help to find the problem.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

I believe the bad O2 sensor can trip all 4 of those codes.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Usually, it should throw O2 sensor fault on the OBD II no?

Old 03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Not always.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 PM

I will ask my dealer tomorrow to make sure if they tried to change the o2 sensor.
They did like 5 smokes test and they were all perfect...

Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM

My brother told me that they took off the front bumber to change the o2 sensor and nothing changed... I'm more mad now, as they took off the bumber, they broke my right HID light bulb and disconnected my right balast and bulb... They gived to my brother without saying that the right bulb was broken...

humm what should I do?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Make sure they fix what they broke.

Not sure where else to go from here.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Im gettin annoyed for u there damn ppl are just screwing around with u ... If sensors are going off the diagnostics will tell them ..... I would try someone else i said it once ill ay it again they r just taking ur $$$ cause ur some kid .....(in their eyes)

Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 AM

Good news!!! Volvo dealer finally found the problem... They changed the MAF sensor tube + the MAF sensor. Cost 623$ for everything which is **** expansive. Motor runs well, smooth with no hesitaton...

Whats the whole point of changing the tube and the sensor and not just he MAF sensor? Anyway at least the car is running well! I'll post soon a picture of the part in case someone will have a similar problem. Buy it from ebay! The part is made by Bosch and volvo sold me more than 300$ when its only around 200$ or maybe less...

Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Glad all is well now.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Default Having power issues

Originally Posted by khmercheam
It might be a good idea to change the fuel filter but I'll see with my BWM garage (friend) near my house to have a check... he said that it might be the turbo valve or something related with the turbo.

I was driving yesturday, the problem occured and just like that I tried to erase the check engine with OBD II at idle and the car came back to normal (power came back).

I just read my vovlo dealer receipt and it is written ''car was running normal, this means that there is a sensor that is going out of range, will need to check be replacing front oxygen sensor but customer refused further work''

If this is the problem, I'll be happy but it is strange that this sensor will have a connection with the MAF sensor like there is 1 module for every two sensors. I didnt want them to change it because they were up to 15 hours of working and I dont want to pay that...

Another paper from dealer ''Control module - Diagnostic trouble code''

ECM-1300 Mass air flow (MAF) sensor - Fautly signal IblFaultCurrent
ECM-262A long-term fuel trim idle, bnak 1 - upper limite IblFaultCurrent
ECM-3503 Misfire, at least one cylinder - Emission agitation IblFaultCurrent
ECM-6814 Turbo Control - Signal too high IblFaultCurrent

Hope it will help to find the problem.

I am having the exact same problem which just started happening a few day ago. After reading this, I feel even worse about it. We just ran the obd codes on the car and it said there was a leaf between the maf and throttle body. Originally, I thought it may be the fuel filter or the fuel pump going bad. I lost half power as well and and the car felt as if there it was lacking fuel.....also, interesting, the gas mileage was nearly cut in half when I was driving 60mph. Even after seeing the trouble code it seems like it may have something to do with fuel. I am taking in the car tmrw to get it checked out (not at a dealership, fml). should I leave it in the ghetto unlocked with the keys in it tonight?!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Ya I swing by and pick it up lol. Had the same problem with mine as well 3 months ago. Said there was a vacuum line leaking or failure. But I just had a diagnostic taken at autozone( free) then did some research( free) ended up changing the gas cap (25$) had a crack in it. The airfilter, a k&n for 60$ I guess the stock one was washed and then sprayed with oil, bad decision. And the o2 sensor (25$) this cleard it right up for me. The code hasn't come up since. I think running to a service center right off th back is a bad idea since theyll charge just to look at it and lord know, you go in for a diagnostic and they end up going through everything else before they solve the real problem.

Quick Reply: Car loosing power, Dealer...dissapointed