Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

CEL Fault Code P0015 and hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL Fault Code P0015 and hard to start

Hello,

I have a 2002 Volvo S40 with about 84,000 miles. In April 2010 I got a CEL Error Code indicating that my Camshaft Position Senor was bad. I purchased and installed a new one.

Subsequently in late August I got a CEL P0015 Camshaft Position Actuator B - Bank 1 Timing Over - Retarded. At this point I noticed the vehicle was a little hard to start.

The guy at the Auto Store advised that he simply clear it and see if it returns. It did of course, so I had the Auto Store clear it again, came home and unplugged the battery for 5 hours - as per a posting I read - this may reset computer to factory so it could "relearn" the senors etc.

This didn't work either, so after reading numerous posts about cleaning the VVT solenoid aka the Cam Adjust Solenoid, I purchased a new Cam Adjust Solenoid gasket at the dealer, remove the Solenoid, cleaned it with carburetor cleaner, clean off the old gasket and put Cam Adjust Solenoid back on car with new gasket. I did notice the old gasket didn't have screen on it - maybe that was just the original design.

I took it to Auto Store and had them reset the CEL. Within 2 days CEL light is back on with the same error and it's still a little difficult to start - meaning it take more crank than I would say are normal - but it does start.

I was wonder if:

1. My replacement Camshaft Position Senor could be bad (although CEL P0015 is not the direct Camshaft Position Sensor fault code).
2. I need to replace the Cam Adjust Solenoid / VVT (this hasn't seem to fix other people's problem!)
3. Finally... Do you have any suggestions as to what I should try.

I greatly appreciate any assistance you can offer, it's my Daughter's car and she just loves the way it drive.. I do too and we would LOVE to keep it!

Thank you!

Last edited by bsobo; 11-09-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 PM

Try the Fuel Pressure Regulator- seems to be the usual cause for a hard start on these cars. I changed mine and it fixed that problem. It may clear the code. I have the P0015 and P0014 codes, and can't solve this. But the FPR which I replaced about 9 months ago definitely fixed the hard start issue, and it DID clear my codes for a while (maybe a month).

Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Default Nice Call!

Velogrrrl,

First of all, sorry I haven't posted a thank you back to you!

Nice call on the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR), I haven't replaced it yet, but the car is getting harder to start. A new friend of mine is actually a Mechanic, works mostly on Japanese cars. He ask me to pull the vacuum line off the FPR and see if there is any trace of gas (or heavy smell of gas) and also told me to check the vacuum line for leaks.

Ask I was attempting to remove the vacuum line from the FPR it tore a little and sure enough, gas wept out! I got a small piece and of vacuum hosing and put it on to hold over temporarily - but I'm going to order and replace the FPR as he indicated any signs of gas in the FPR's vacuum mean the FPR's diaphragm is shot.

The Mechanic also indicated this could lead to possible gas weeping into my oil which could in fact can cause the low oil pressure condition therefore causing the CCL error code P0015. So he directed me to change the oil after completing the FPR replacement.

I'll repost with the results.

Thank you so much for your assistance.