Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

Hi, this is my first post. I bought a brand new 2005 S40 in 2005 and since then, I have had many issues with it. My "check engine" light is coming on every couple of months for a variety of reasons( so the dealership mechanics say).

I've already had a mass air flow sensor replaced and some ignition component replaced because it wasn't recognizing my key and, therefore, wouldn't start consistently..I would turn the key and nothing would happen except a "key error" message. I would have to try it 4-10 times before it would start.

I also had some other gasket replaced.

Now, my fuel gauge isn't working properly. On a few occasions, when I was down to "E", instead of the "low fuel" warning illuminating, the needle actually moved to 3/4 full! It occurred twice this past summer of '06 and just a few weeks ago. The dealer says I'd have to bring it in when it was actually doing it so they could evaluate the problem.

My main issue is whether anyone has experienced soo many issues with a fairly new car, known for durability and reliability. I put a lot of miles on my car for work( I have 60k on it now), and my warranty has expired, so I'm paying everything out-of-pocket and it's getting really expensive.

I'm wondering why it's always one problem after another and whether it's a problem with the "check engine" light since every time it comes on and they fix something, it comes right back on weeks later.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Default RE: check engine light

MOST CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS AREDUE TO A FUEL TRIM ISSUE DTC ECM 250A . OR A EVAP ISSUE 4308 .
IF THESE ARE ANY OF YOUR ISSUES THAY CAN BE EASELY FIXED. THE 250A CAN BE FIXED BY A THROTTLE
BODY CLEANING AND A SOFTWARE UPGRADE TO THE ECM. IF THE PROBLEM IS A EVAP ISSUE THE LEAKAGE PUMP MAY BE AT FAULT. SOME VEHICLES HAVE MISFIRE ISSUES BUT THIS WOULD BE FOLLOWED BY ROUGH RUNNING
AND POOR PERFOMANCE. IF ANY OF THE ABOVE PROBLEMS SOUND LIKE YOURS PLEASE ADD MORE DETAILS.

NOW WITH THE KEY ERROR , THERE IS ALSO SOFTWARE FOR THIS IF THE IGNITION SWITH HAS BEEN REPLACED IN
THE PAST. IF NOT THAT MAY BE AT FAULT. THIS WILL ALSO FIX YOUR FUEL GAUGE.
DIM (DRIVER INFO MODULE)SOFTWARE

IF THIS DOSE NOT SOUND LIKE YOUR ISSUE PLEASE WRITE MORE DETAILS OF YOUR SYMPTOMS

Old 02-13-2007, 02:34 PM

to VolvoTech...thanks for your info. I'll mention that to the techs when I return to the dealer.

My car runs fine and doesn't seem to be lacking performance or experiencing any rough running as you mention.

In regard to the ignition switch..."no" it hasn't been replaced in the past. My invoice states I need a "starter module component". But since it still starts, I've decided to hold off getting it until I have a more consistent problem with it...like I said...that's a lot of money.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 PM

I have had the exact same issue with my 2005 S40. The dealership keeps charging me to run the codes. I have had to replace 3 modules in 1 year. It's rediculous, so far I have $1200 into this issue and i am obviously past my warranty period. I had the upgrade to the ECM software done, the fuel pump control module was replaced and he control mdule for the ignition had to be replaced? I am seeing that this is an issue with many Volvo Drivers?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can have the codes checked by your local auto parts house like Advance Auto or Autozone for free.