Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Chrome 2003 S40 Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome 2003 S40 Door Handles

I snapped off a driver side door handle on my 2003 S40. I looked at the VADIS diagram and I believe I can replace it myself however I can't find one anywhere. I found one vendor that carries them but does not have the driver side handle. (exterior). Any ideas where I can find one besides the dealer?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 PM

The same thing happened to me... to both sides. Although I haven't found the door handles anywhere I will definitely keep this post in mind if I do. Let me know if you find anything!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:33 PM

I am also searching for Front left- door handle - metallic blue 2003-Volvo-S40...it broke when I pulled it hard during winter....poor design?..
Please let me know if you find 1. I will also let you know..

Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 PM

same problem...cannot find drivers door handle for s40..husband is trying epoxy...it is actually plastic...not chrome...

Old 09-01-2014, 01:34 PM

Being plastic it is an ongoing problem. Mine has broken twice on my V40 and I have repaired it twice. The last time using dental acrylic which worked well, for a time, so I'm about to remove the door panel yet again and attempt a third repair. It is possible.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,
I've broken mine twice (ice-storms as cause on both occassions). Listen, one important thing I found out is that you don't need to colour match the housing! The chrome handle can be taken out of one housing and placed in yours without issue. When you open it up, you'll note that the metal rod that holds the chrome piece to the housing can slide out at one end. On some models, you need to use a dremel to grind off the tab at the very end of the metal rod but that's not a major issue.

If you don't have to colour match, finding a used one from a junkyard isn't half as hard!

BTW - I've also been told that you can also use the chrome piece from the rear door of the same side...I have not been able to confirm this.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by pierremcalpine; 09-02-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 AM

Not sure if anyone still needs this or may need it in the future BUT I did a MacGyver on mine with a paper clip and it works better than original. If we are talking about the yellow plastic piece that screws onto pole that goes over to door lock, sounds like same problem.

Mine was not completely broken so first I tried to place a metal bracket on top, that did not work, too much play still and I ended up breaking mine completely. So I had one piece that pops into back of handle, I took my wire clippers and clipped it even where it broke, Then I drilled a small hole in it, I took my paper clip and fed it thru and twisted it good, I then had to drill a hole into piece that screws into pole/lever, fed it down and wrapped it around twice, Viola, works better than before.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine
Hi guys,
I've broken mine twice (ice-storms as cause on both occassions). Listen, one important thing I found out is that you don't need to colour match the housing! The chrome handle can be taken out of one housing and placed in yours without issue. When you open it up, you'll note that the metal rod that holds the chrome piece to the housing can slide out at one end. On some models, you need to use a dremel to grind off the tab at the very end of the metal rod but that's not a major issue.

If you don't have to colour match, finding a used one from a junkyard isn't half as hard!

BTW - I've also been told that you can also use the chrome piece from the rear door of the same side...I have not been able to confirm this.

Hope this helps!
But once you've ground off the tab how do you get the replacement pin in - given it will have a tab and if you grind it off there will be nothing to retain it?
PLEASE HELP!

Old 09-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronald Jugg
But once you've ground off the tab how do you get the replacement pin in - given it will have a tab and if you grind it off there will be nothing to retain it?
PLEASE HELP!
Tab, schmab. It won’t come out. Don’t worry. If you are worried wrap a very small tie-wrap around it or a dab of jb weld.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine
Tab, schmab. It won’t come out. Don’t worry. If you are worried wrap a very small tie-wrap around it or a dab of jb weld.
Worry, schmorry. I went ahead and ground down the tab and trusted that the pin would remain in, probably beyond the time when the uk govt. gets around to banning diesels. 2002 V40 220,000+ miles and running smoothly. Thanks for the post(s), really helpful.