Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40T stuck in park, using shift override

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40T stuck in park, using shift override

Hello,

I have a 2001 S40T with 151,000 miles, has been a great car for 6-7yrs!
-I am wondering how long you can use the SHIFT OVERRIDE BUTTON to get the gear shift to move out of PARK? I've never had to use it until today, so....
-it won't move out of PARK unless OVERRIDE button is pushed
-brake lights work fine
-read that I could try moving the key a little, that didn't help
-read about possible solutions, really want to be informed when I walk into Volvo for diagnosis because I just don't think I'm equipped to fix it myself

Long story...
Today my car would not move out of the PARK position. It finally worked after many tries turning the car off/on. I also tried pushing the SHIFT LOCK (shift override button) & letting it let go, that didn't work.
A local mechanic took a quick look at it. He checked that the brake lights were working, and they are working fine. Then he pushed the SHIFT LOCK button like I did, just in & let go, it didn't help, THEN, he held it in while shifting and it worked!
I made an appt with Volvo for Wednesday to diagnose it, but have very little money for repairs, which is why I wonder how long I can just use the SHIFT OVERRIDE BUTTON, but also want to be well informed when I do go to Volvo.
Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM

You can use that button as much as you want with no problems.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Oodlemi,

thank you, your reply is greatly appreciated! Knowing this, maybe now I can pay for the diagnosis and get an estimate, but not get it fixed until after Xmas! It gives me some peace of mind, especially since I don't drive daily and I was just getting ready to pay for my Xmas vacation. Three years ago, just before my vacation I had to get a new timing belt!
Have a great day!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you sure that it is not the simply the shifter button that is stuck? It is a super common issue. Start by spraying some silicon spray upwards into the underside of the shifter button and then push the button up and down a bunch of times. See if that loosens it up. The silicon will wear off after a while - just reapply or use something better. Worst case fcp euro sells replacement shifter buttons I think.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 AM

pierremcalpine,

Thank you, will try that, too! I have watched some videos of people having problems with drinks that have spilled and the shifter mechanism has gotten gunky and it sticks. For others....the videos I've watched have also showed people getting inside the shifter area by taking things apart, so if others are having this problem, you may want to check out you tube and see how that works.

I don't think I've spilled anything, but you never know, I think I may have had to stop short a few months ago and my Pepsi splashed a few places. Plus, I've been kicking myself for not cleaning my car lately, so I'll give it a try.

Thank you,
Kelly

Old 09-27-2017, 01:04 PM

Usually it is always soda in the shifter. Makes them sticky for some reason.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly Caudle
pierremcalpine,

Thank you, will try that, too! I have watched some videos of people having problems with drinks that have spilled and the shifter mechanism has gotten gunky and it sticks. For others....the videos I've watched have also showed people getting inside the shifter area by taking things apart, so if others are having this problem, you may want to check out you tube and see how that works.

I don't think I've spilled anything, but you never know, I think I may have had to stop short a few months ago and my Pepsi splashed a few places. Plus, I've been kicking myself for not cleaning my car lately, so I'll give it a try.

Thank you,
Kelly

To get better access to the button itself, yank very hard upwards on the handle. It will come right off when enough upward pressure is exerted. Turn it upside down and spray some WD40 in the space between the button and the shifter housing. Let it sit, then spray some lube in there. Push back down to snap in.