Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Cream on dipstick - BUT i do a lot of miles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cream on dipstick - BUT i do a lot of miles...

Guys,

first time poster, do do take it easy on me. I own a s40 bi-fuel 2002, and last week the "Service" light in the dashboard lit up. It turns off 5 mins later which is a bit of a relief (as long as something isnt being brushed under the carpet). Yesterday i went and check the dipstick to find creamy desposit around the top. I wiped and checked again but same thing. There is non under the oil cap though. I've searched the forum here and other places, responses are generally that this is due to the short drives with condensation building up and the engine not having enough time to warm up. However i drive the car 100 miles a day (500 a week)? Should be enough time for the engine to warm up (even for an lpg)? The exaust pipe doesnt release obvious white smoke, as i've heard this is sign of a head gasket failure. Do i have a serious issue here (i need my car for work desperately). Any guidance will be much appreciated

Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to say no you don't have a serious problem. I have had several cars that have some white milky spots on the dipstick just above the oil level and never had any problems. Probably just a freak thing that you saw it after your check engine light came on, causing you to look for something. You might have your ecu checked for a code even though the check engine light isn't still on the computer keeps records of what has caused the light to come on until it is cleared. I might be a little off on what the ecu does after the light goes off but in my experience they stay in the back ground until someone with a code reader clears the code....

good luck, Jeff