Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Disable Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable Check Engine Light

2001 S40 - The check engine light is always on. I take it to the dealership for inspection, and they clear the code, but it costs a lot - every time. I have an inspection coming up and wonder if there is any way to disable the light, or bulb, so I dont require another expensive fix that only lasts a couple days.

Thanks!
Bryan

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry nope. They also look to make sure the light works when they do the inspection on the car.

Looks like you need to find another place to work on the car. Some place that can actually fix it.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM

I had the same thing happen. Only I don't goto a dealer, just a local shop. He charged me $55 to reset it, which I felt was high, and said I need to go 50 more miles before I can test it again for emissions (PA Law). I ended up needing gas & after I got it, the friggin light came right back on.

Some places will reset it for a low charge, I posted on craigslist & a guy cleared it for me for free. I even offered $20 & he turned it down, he just didn't like seeing other mechanics being dishonest & ripping people off in todays economy. I wanted to inspect it thru him but he wasn't an insp station, also the previous mechanic already charged me. Funny thing is, I had to purposely drive 50 miles on Monday (Presidents Day) before my appointment Tuesday. Pretty hard thing to do actually.

Try posting in Craiglist Rants & Raves, offer $20 or something. Alot of people told me to disconnect the battery, or hold the trip odometer in while starting, neither worked. Some recommended taking it to Auto Zone, who resets it for free. I was skeptical to do this though, afraid after not having them fix anything they'd mess with it internally. Or call a local mechanic/gas station & ask if they can do it for less than your dealer.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 PM

If the CEL is on, somethings wrong with the car.
I'm quite shocked the garage you go to, doesn't mention what the code is, and the problem therein...

I'd go somewhere else...somewhere that actually cares about your well being.
Once you get the car fixed, the light will stay out!