Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

driver door will not unlock

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver door will not unlock

Hello!

My key cannot unlock the driver side door anymore. I can still unlock the passenger side door and get in that way. However, it seems like the passenger side door is manual and the driver is automatic. Whenever I could unlock the driver side door, as soon as I started to turn my key it would trigger some sort of unlocking mechanism.

So I'm guessing a wire is broken in the electrical system in automatic locking of the driver side door. Is there a way to fix this without going to a mechanic? Or can I just reset the automatic locking device somehow to make it manual like the passenger side door? I know sometimes the gas cap door has to be reset and I'm not sure if there is something similar for the driver door.

Thanks so much!!

I have a 2000 volvo s40 if that helps.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by volvos40dude
Hello!

My key cannot unlock the driver side door anymore. I can still unlock the passenger side door and get in that way. However, it seems like the passenger side door is manual and the driver is automatic. Whenever I could unlock the driver side door, as soon as I started to turn my key it would trigger some sort of unlocking mechanism.

So I'm guessing a wire is broken in the electrical system in automatic locking of the driver side door. Is there a way to fix this without going to a mechanic? Or can I just reset the automatic locking device somehow to make it manual like the passenger side door? I know sometimes the gas cap door has to be reset and I'm not sure if there is something similar for the driver door.

Thanks so much!!

I have a 2000 volvo s40 if that helps.
I have the same car and I have a similar problem - the passenger's side door does not unlock all the way, so I have to manually pull the tab.

I suspect that granted the unlocking motor is not broken, perhaps you can pull the door's interior panel away to reveal the mechanism and wiring, then you should check that everything is properly connected.

Does the lock budge at all or is it completely immobile when you turn the key?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eleftherion
I have the same car and I have a similar problem - the passenger's side door does not unlock all the way, so I have to manually pull the tab.

I suspect that granted the unlocking motor is not broken, perhaps you can pull the door's interior panel away to reveal the mechanism and wiring, then you should check that everything is properly connected.

Does the lock budge at all or is it completely immobile when you turn the key?
It is completely immobile when I turn the key! Previously, I'd have jiggle the key in there keyhole for a couple seconds to activate the unlocking motor. But now no amount of jiggling or turning makes the door unlock!

I haven't looked inside though so I can definitely try that. I just wouldn't be sure what I'd be looking at

Old 01-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling the inner door panel off isn't too hard, but further access is VERY restricted. Perhaps a solvent-wax on the parts (WD40) once the inside panel is off...