Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Door does not unlock manually with key/window controls/safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door does not unlock manually with key/window controls/safety concerns

I have a couple of issues I was hoping to get some insight on. My main issue is the driver side door. For sometime now, I cannot unlock the front driver side door with the key. I can however unlock it with the remote. This has never been a problem as I have been the only one to use the car. However, I'm going to be sharing it with my cousin for a little bit and my other remote broke. Volvo told me it'll cost $250 to replace it. WTF!?! Anyway, I don't know how the locking and unlocking mechanism works. With what I have described, is there a way I can fix the manual release myself. Any ideas?

I also have an issue with the window and mirror controls. In what appears to be random, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I do nothing but turn on the car and it either works or not. Again any insight? What are the possibilities?

Lastly, I have two serious concerns, but my mechanic has told me it's nothing. I had my power steering rack replaced about a year ago. My concern is recently the wheel doesn't seem to turn as smoothly. There doesn't appear to be a leak and I recently took the car for an oil change, so my mechanic I imagine must have checked the basics. Essentially, the biggest signal seems to be after a turn. The wheel doesn't seem to spring back as smoothly as it should. I don't think this is power steering but rather something with the tires as I get a subtle feeling the wheel is getting "stuck" if the tires get in a groove or something. The more gas I give the more easily it returns to center.

The other safety concern is my brakes. My pads and rotors were changed earlier this year. Ever since, I sometimes here a metallic scratching noise. Again, mechanic said nothings wrong. I even took the car in for an inspection and that passed as well. However, I do hear a noise in the back driver side wheel. Is there anything of that nature that could be normal? It can't be worn pads because they were changed when I started hearing the sound.

I trust my mechanic also. The guy doesn't even charge labor sometimes for things that take no time. He's cool.

Anyway, thanks for your time and any insight.do

Old 10-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Door does not unlock manually with key/window controls/safety concerns

Welcome.
For the Door lock: I wouldclean thekey hole with some oil or something like this http://www.ipdusa.com/Universal-Products/Car-Care-Products/Volvo-Brand-Lock-Oil/p-202-617-258/ You could also take the door panel off and see if anything fell off.
For the Switches: I would carefullytake out the assembly and check to see if the contacts are dirty or crusted. If it is crusted, you will have to very carefully scrape off the crustieswhile trying tonot damaging the connectors.Use somecontact clearn, and see if it helps.
Some else, like tech,can assist further.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Door does not unlock manually with key/window controls/safety concerns

1. Has the door lock been replaced? Does the key turn at all?

2. Check the door jam connection.

3. Fluid level good?

4. OEM brake parts or aftermarket?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 AM

1) I believe the actuator was replaced. Yeah, I should mention the car was in an accident where the driver side door was essentially in a T type collision. Nothing drastic. Someone rolled through a stop sign and started speeding up again but nothing major. Good thing I was in a Volvo. As for the key turning, yes it turns without a problem. There doesn't seem to be any resistance either.

2)What is the door jam connection and how do I check it?

3)I believe the fluid level is fine, especially considering it was just taken in for an oil change. The guy always checks that stuff.

4)NAPA parts. Does that mean OEM?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Administrator

1. Look on the back of the door with it open by where the handle is there is a plastic cover (maybe) like a triangle kind of but rounded off more. Or you will see 2 screws if the cover is missing. Right around there is a rubber plug in a hole. Remove the rubber plug and look in the hole using a flashlight. You should see the rod going from the door handle into the lock assembly. Looking in the hole turn the key and see if A. the rod is even still there or is broke off B. if it is turning in the lock assembly.

2.On the front side of the door when open you will see where the wiring comes out of the door and goes to the body. There is a plastic part. In the plastic part there is a screw loosen the screw (It has to come out quite a bit)and turn the plastic ring to loosen the plug. Then check the pin connections sometimes one will back out some.

3.With the car running open the cap and make sure the fluid is flowing through the syste.

4.I doubt they are OEM quality. That could be your problem since they aren't OEM parts.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 AM

So let's assume they are not OEM parts and that is the reason for the noise. What should I do? Should I be concerned about this at all? And what is actually happening if this is the problem?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

I think you are getting the noise because of the brake pads. I will bet they are a really hard compound.

As long as the car stops fine and all feels right overall it should be safe.