Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Fuel Injector Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by migbro
Ha! I'm 57 years old and I'm still doing it. And not because I can't afford to pay someone to work on my car. I do it because I have never, and I mean never, had anyone work on my car, dealer or independent, who has done a good and thorough job. It's literally always been half-assed, corner-cutting work served with a big heaping side of condescension and snark.

Maintaining old cars is a weird hobby that most people avoid if they can for damn good reason. It's harder with Volvos because so many of them have stupid design features that only a moron would think was a good idea.

I've always enjoyed doing my own mechanical work but I will be moving on to new or almost new vehicles fairly soon.

57! That's good to hear, I might have a few good years in me then

And total agreement on the shoddy workmanship of a lot of mechanics. 3 years ago I had a transmission issue on my Focus, it wouldn't go into reverse. I had a mechanic (dealership mechanic, 20+ years exp, but working from a home garage) fix it. He did fix the transmission... but I had numerous issues after that. The lock on the selector wouldn't engage properly when put into park and I had to fiddle with it everytime to get my key out of the ignition; a month later it blew a transmission hose that goes to the cooler, I think from him not disconnecting that hose first when he pulled the trans and put a lot of stress on it at some point; and 2 of the trans solenoids failed shortly after that... I had to drop the pan and replace each one separately (those could have been a coincidence). Point being he was rushing the details to get it finished in a hurry.

I'll keep going as long as I can too, as I do enjoy the satisfaction of doing the work myself. But I've promised myself no more Volvo's!!! Its Ford's and Toyota's for me after this.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Livens
But I've promised myself no more Volvo's!!! Its Ford's and Toyota's for me after this.
Bingo!

The only reason I own my V40 is because my mother-in-law wanted to pass on her "safe" car for my kids to drive. The only vehicle I've owned that's had more problems was my '98 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup.

But I keep going with the V40 because after the next fix it'll surely be good for a while, right?

Meanwhile my neglected Toyotas just keep on truckin'.