Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Issues Starting When Cold Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013 | 05:06 PM
|
Default Issues Starting When Cold Out

Hello all! I have a 2004.5 S40 T5 and it has been having issues starting lately.

If the temps are over 40ish degrees outside it will turn over and start with no issues whatsoever. Now, when the temps dip below that the car will make this grinding noise repeatedly, after the 2nd-3rd grind/crank I will get the following service lights: Reduced engine performance, DTSC Disabled (or something along those lines), and a service light for the transmission as well. If I wait a few seconds and try maybe 1-2 more times it will actually just crank for a few seconds then start.

If I let the car idle and get to normal operating temps I can turn the car off and start it like it was just a normal day. All the service lights are no longer there and there are no issues. Could this be a starter going bad? Just looking at the condition of the starter (when I installed my intake) I swear it could almost be original, and my car has 125k on the clock right now.

Anyway, here is a quick video, it isn't making the noise as much in this one, but it if I were to go out tomorrow and try to make a better video if need be that can work.

Below is a link of a quick video I took. The very beginning is what the car will do repeatedly then it will follow like the video shows. And I have a brand new battery.

Old 11-11-2013 | 06:55 AM
|

Took another video this morning it was about 28 degrees out. I shouldn't have been cranking like I did for so long, but I just wanted to show you what it does, then it eventually starts.

Like I said before, after I let it run until it warms up a little (10-15 mins) I can turn it off and on with no issues.

Old 11-13-2013 | 09:44 PM

That is the starter motor teeth grinding against the flexplate teeth. I think you will need to repair the starter to fix the issue. Remove the starter and check the teeth on both the starter and the flexplate. I'm betting you will find the starter's teeth are damaged. The teeth should have a beveled edge so they slip into the teeth on the flexplate. If they are damaged enough the teeth hit the side of the flexplate teeth and grind away. After several tries the teeth line up enough to fit into place and the engine cranks over. The slow start may be a symptom of too much fuel added from so many start attempts. The other cause for long cranking times is a failed fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

Old 11-13-2013 | 10:28 PM
Default OK - Start Simple

I heard your car on the video. I would suggest you start with the simplest checks first.

1. Measure your battery voltage before you start the car (warm day and cold). Be sure you record the voltage - see if it is perhaps too low when colder. Or drop by a parts store and ask them to test your battery. Could be just an old battery or lack of output from alternator.

2. Your starter (or starter solenoid) may be wearing out. When you first try to start, you generate a little heat which eventually helps the starter solenoid to actuate and engage with the flywheel. If your battery is OK, then I would pull the starter and this will let you inspect the flywheel teeth to be sure the teeth are not worn/broken... If the teeth look good on the flywheel, just replace the starter/solenoid and be on your way!

3. Lastly, teeth missing or worn on flywheel is a possibility, but not as likely as the 2 above. It is also more expensive, so start with the 2 above.