Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Key cylinder won't turn to position III (starting)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key cylinder won't turn to position III (starting)

So I had to leave my car in a parking lot last night because the key would not turn past position 3. It gets stuck right before you can crank the car.
I read that a piece of metal in the cylinder/ tumbler breaks and causes you to not be able to turn the ignition all the way. I got the car to start this morning by turning the electronic switch while the key is in the ignition.

Is there anyway to rig this or fix it so I can at least turn the key all the way? I would rather not have to pay for new keys and a cylinder/ tumbler and programming

Last edited by davidx1994; 03-31-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You don't need to do any programming when replacing the column lock. It comes set for your existing keys.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
You don't need to do any programming when replacing the column lock. It comes set for your existing keys.
How much would it cost to get the replacement part?
Thanks!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Been a while since I priced one for an S40, but I think it was about $150 or $175 if I remember correctly. Takes 5-10 days to come in because it is made for your current keys.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Been a while since I priced one for an S40, but I think it was about $150 or $175 if I remember correctly. Takes 5-10 days to come in because it is made for your current keys.
Thanks. Didn't even know this was an option!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 PM

My volvo s40 is also in a parking lot too. I also have a problem just like yours. What do i do, i live in florida bought the car a year ago and now i can't get the key to turn pass the first turn. How much did it cost you to get yours fixed. thank you

Last edited by jandvstaley; 04-05-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Default ignition key start problem

I have that problem so i got the wiring diagram and found the wires for the start circiut near the ignition on the column and put a pushbutton in and cost about three dollars.works fine.
still turn the key then push button and away it goes.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Green
I have that problem so i got the wiring diagram and found the wires for the start circiut near the ignition on the column and put a pushbutton in and cost about three dollars.works fine.
still turn the key then push button and away it goes.
I have a 2000 S40 what would I attach the push button to? How do you turn the car off once its on?

My car is currently stuck in a parking lock and won't go past position III (ignition).

Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You would turn it off with the key as before. It still turns off, yes? The pushbutton only activates the starter. I've no idea how to wire it though.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Green
I have that problem so i got the wiring diagram
Where did you find it, and can you post it here?

Thanks,

TF

Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I had same issue with my 2004 S40, key wouldn't turn to III and a piece of white metal broke off inside. In my case, I had bought a used complete steering column earlier because I wanted the steering wheel 'cause my was worn. The complete column with wheel, airbag, ignition and key cost me $50.

I still had the column after replacing the steering wheel and took out the key tumbler, did a swap and all is good. Kept original key mechanism.
There is a write/utube vid to remove and replace the ignition, had to drill out a couple of break-a-way bolt heads & drop the column but in all it took 1 hr to complete. Consider getting a whole column vs a new mechanism if you have a similar issue. In reality, my was $0 to fix.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:03 PM

Thanks s40_Ontario,

I'm beginning to think its a loose wire in the bundle, because we were fixing it by turning the cylinder, but yesterday I was able to fix it by moving the wires coming from the cylinder. We originally were thinking it was the shifter button, but with my luck its several different things working together to make it hard to troubleshoot.

I'll have to see if I can track one down at a junkyard and get the whole assembly.

TF

Old 10-08-2017, 03:22 AM
Default S40 Key won:t turn to start

Hi Guys,
I am away from home for another week and i sold that car,but i may have the diagram somewhere at home.
If someone wants to send the wiring diagram to me i could decide it easy enough.i am 30 yrs a sparky for a living.

Asone other guy said the pushbutton is in starter only and a quick push and let go while key is on starts car,i had it like that about 2 years no problems.

My email is garygreen3@outlook.com

Old 01-29-2018, 07:37 AM
LCS

I've had a recent problem with my auto 2002 V70 T5 (owned for the past ten years) regarding the 'key will not turn past position 2'.
As the battery had gone flat for lack of use, I initially thought that it was the 'system' not now recognizing the key. I tried all off the (ECU) reset procedures without success.
By chance, and with the foreseen tow seeming imminent, I tried to select neutral and the gear lever just held fast. I then associated this with a faulty steering lock, which are knowingly prone to jam.
I simply squirted WD40 into the lock and waited a few minutes, just playing with the gear change until it finally moved.
Key back in lock and with a rather forceful desperate turn, it started!
One now happy bunny as the car was on the verge of being scrapped if dealer had come up with some ridiculous amount to fix.
If this helps just one other person, I'd be happy.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 PM

SOLUTION: I don't know the technical terms so bear with me. It's because the starter unit located on the opposite side of the steering column has slipped out of place. If you remove the undercover, it's the big plastic piece covering steering wheel on the bottom. Open that up and you'll see a round metal piece with wires. Turn it slightly in a clockwise motion. Once you get it in the correct position you should be able to start your car.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:17 AM

Ok here we go this is going to be good.i have the same starting problem sometimes it starts sometimes not. Clicks lights come on all that but no start or sometimes no lights no start all the same problems as most of the other ones here.difference in mine is my key is a bolt yes a bolt shaved smoothe on 2 sides and the threads on 2 other sides yes about about 2 inchs is the bolt the original key was broke and this was solution to this key problem seriously i just got the car as payment for my nanny job. Its a beautiful car except the key and all this problem has left me stranded not able to get to the bus stop.no good so i know this sounds dumb but what do i do replace the whole tumbler and get knew key im absolutely not a wrencher im not sure what to do but i do know this dang bolt is all bad. Any ideas

Old 09-13-2019, 07:58 AM

I just so happened to be sitting in front of my e-mail when you hit send. Read the post above yours. I do not know the terms but let me describe it.

The ignition cylinder slipped and you can rig it until you can fix it. It's a common problem with Volvo. On the opposite site of where you put your key, there's a round metal piece. Turn it less than 1/2 inch towards you. You have to remove the cover from under the steering wheel to reach it.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kirstenraye
I just so happened to be sitting in front of my e-mail when you hit send. Read the post above yours. I do not know the terms but let me describe it.

The ignition cylinder slipped and you can rig it until you can fix it. It's a common problem with Volvo. On the opposite site of where you put your key, there's a round metal piece. Turn it less than 1/2 inch towards you. You have to remove the cover from under the steering wheel to reach it.
Ok that sounds easy enough thank you so much ill try that immediately.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Julietmarie
Ok that sounds easy enough thank you so much ill try that immediately.
I'm looking for a video, I found it about 8 months ago. It's a lot easier than it sounds. Will post it if I find it.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Here it is, it's the round plastic part. Turn it slightly...

Quick Reply: Key cylinder won't turn to position III (starting)