Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

My new V50 ride and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new V50 ride and questions...

Dumping the '02 v40 (which has really been giving me fits) and picking up a pristine 2007 v50, T5 FWD with only 24K miles.

Anyway, I've got 2 questions:

1. The car is from California and was not fitted with the climate package and hence, no heated seats. Anyone (tech) know if the actual seats, cushions or foam is different between heated and non-heated seats and if not, are the heating elements, control units, etc. and wiring in place and what would be involved to get that working? I'd need the switches for the center console.... are these 'plug-n-play', or is there a software issue?

2. The car has only the 'base', 6 speaker, non-premium audio system with the single disc CD player. Can the player be swapped out with the single-disc CD/MP3 player? I've gotten lots of conflicting info on this. I know the base system cannot be upgraded to a 6 disc changer and because it is a base system in a T5 without the premium upgrade (or the 'Preferred Package' for a 2.4i) there is no AUX in jack. If I can swap the player to the single disc player that can play MP3 files, I can get almost 200 songs on one CD which would work for me.

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlk1
Dumping the '02 v40 (which has really been giving me fits) and picking up a pristine 2007 v50, T5 FWD with only 24K miles.

Anyway, I've got 2 questions:

1. The car is from California and was not fitted with the climate package and hence, no heated seats. Anyone (tech) know if the actual seats, cushions or foam is different between heated and non-heated seats and if not, are the heating elements, control units, etc. and wiring in place and what would be involved to get that working? I'd need the switches for the center console.... are these 'plug-n-play', or is there a software issue?

2. The car has only the 'base', 6 speaker, non-premium audio system with the single disc CD player. Can the player be swapped out with the single-disc CD/MP3 player? I've gotten lots of conflicting info on this. I know the base system cannot be upgraded to a 6 disc changer and because it is a base system in a T5 without the premium upgrade (or the 'Preferred Package' for a 2.4i) there is no AUX in jack. If I can swap the player to the single disc player that can play MP3 files, I can get almost 200 songs on one CD which would work for me.

Thanks!
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that there will be software issues. We all know Volvo...

Old 11-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heated seats:
I looked at this very thing when I bought V50 which was a Texas car. It looks like the wire harness is there. Things missing are the heating elements, controller, buttons and software (most likely). I really liked the heated seats in my '02 S40 but I don't miss them as much as I thought I would, even with leather.

Stereo:
I believe that the single disk player can be swapped for the 6-disk changer. There was a mid-year change to the stereo's in '07. The later ones could play mp3 and had an aux input. I don't think that you can put a later version that plays mp3 in the earlier version. If you can than I want to know about it.

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...cd/default.htm

You said you have the 6-speaker system. Is that: front woofer/tweeter and rear woofer? If so, you can add the tweeters to the rear doors. There is a how-to on Swedespeed.

Stan