Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Mysterious clutch failure cured without any repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious clutch failure cured without any repair?

Hi guys (and gals),

I've been driving a Volvo S40 since 2008. Mine is a '07 reg 2.0L diesel. I love it. Aside from the alternator failing, I've never had any serious problems with it, until now.

On Friday, I switched on the engine, and it immediately cut out. I thought at first that I'd inadvertently released the clutch pedal in between changing gear. So I started her up again, and to my utter shock I couldn't change gear, and the clutch pedal wouldn't return to its resting position when I released it.

I tried it again, but the same thing, so I left it. I couldn't verify if there was fluid accumulating under the car because it was raining, so I waited until the next day. I tried her again, but the same symptoms. This time I pumped the clutch pedal a few times, and checked under the car for leakage. Nothing.

Today, I tried it again, and it's working fine. No issue whatsoever. I didn't test drive it, just reversed and drove forward a couple of meters in my drive. I'm afeared to drive her now, because I don't want the same thing happening while I'm on the road.

I have the Haynes manual on the S40, and I'm tempted to look at it myself (no mechanic experience, but I'm not afraid of spanners and dirt). I think it must be the disc, or pressure plate. At first I thought it might be a leak, but why is it working again as normal i.e. I can change gear and the clutch pedal works as normal too.

I think I'll just give the Mechanic a call anyway, but I'd be interested to hear some comments/opinions.

If it's the clutch that needs fixing I'm probably looking at a few hundred yo yos?

Cheers

VG

Old 09-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Not sure how a clutch issue could cut out the engine unless there's a position sensor (ie a switch) which detects whether the clutch is depressed to allow the car to start. Just a guess but see if there is a switch at the top of the clutch pedal lever (that's how the brakes set off the lights/cruise control so I'd make sense to do the same for clutch position). Other than that, there's not that much to the clutch design. You have a pedal that activates a master cylinder (similar to the brake system) which pushes fluid through a line down to a slave cylinder that activates the clutch lever into the transmission housing. First step is to check the brake fluid level - not sure if you have a clutch reservoir or if its shared with the brakes but look around. If the levels are ok, you probably don't have a leak. Pumping the clutch pedal would overcome any air in the line and would expose a possible leak in the slave cylinder but there I'd expect to see some other evidence. Usually the failure of the clutch plate itself is the clutch starts to slip due to wear on the clutch disk or the fingers on the pressure plate lose tension (say if the clutch got overheated towing etc). Its pretty rare for the clutch to just fail to disengage unless the problem is in the lever or the hydraulics. So start by removing the under dash cover and see if there's an electrical switch at the top of the clutch lever...

Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're on the wrong side of the Atlantic here mate. Try volvoforums.org.uk where they have petrol and clutches and stuff.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM

@Mt6127:

Thanks. I checked the fluid reservoir (brake and clutch fluid go into the same reservoir). It's fine, as in the fluid level is what it should be.

@migbro:

Cheers. I'll check it out.

Thanks lads.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:52 PM

It's your clutch over spring the same thing happened to me 2 yrs ago.