Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Need Help Tech!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Tech!

I bought a 04 s40 about two weeks ago. The brakes had to be replaced, so I had the dealership that I got it from replace them with brembo discs and hawk ceramic pads. The tech told me that the pads dont fit in the front correct and need anti rattle clips. Yet the back ones fit fine. I called and they dont even make anti rattle clips for the pads they shouldnt need them. The tech found that since he replaced the brakes, theres a horrible clunking sounding that you hear once you start pushing the brakes down hard. He said either clips or new pads will work. So i got new pads semi metallic, nothing fancy, and I had my gfs dad who is a mechanic put them on. We spent 5 hours putting the brakes on, taking them off, adjusting and checking everything and the clunking noise is still there, coming from the front end. We cant believe in any way that its from the pads, as the pads are on there nice and snug....what could it be? The noise only started after the older brake discs and pads were taken off. Please help.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Need Help Tech!

I have this clunking noise in my s70 right now. The dealership said it was my E-brake. Now you will ask was your E-brake on. No it wasn't on. They even told that even though it was fully off that somehow it was staying on.

This maybe your situation as well. Also could be a wheel bearing as well.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Do you feel it through the steering and pedal from how hard the clunking is?

Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A wheel bearing WILL NOT create a 'clunking' sound. When a bearing goes out you will hear a grinding. CV joints can make the clunking sound as well as loose struts in the upper housing.

r.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 AM

What nobody seems to be understanding, and maybe im not being clear, but this horrible clunking sound only happens after the brake pedal is really pushing down on the brakes...I highly doubt that a clunking is coming from struts when its only if im applying full pressure on the brakes. Is there anyway i may have something interfering with the front braking? Or what about a driveshaft?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:50 AM

Just thinking here, it sounds like something in the caliper is hanging up and building pressure, then releasing. That release of pressure could be directed against the piston which would 'slap'against the pad and pad against rotor in rapid succession, thus causing said 'single' clunk/thunk.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:07 AM

had the problem fixed, turned out the dealership said that since I was trying to use aftermarket pads/rotors, they weren't fitting correctly. They looked like they should've worked however because theyre not genuine volvo there was a problem with the fit hence when you applied heavy on the brakes, there was movement in the pads. Had to go to volvo brakes...now i have to deal with massive amounts of brake dust on my nice shiny wheels.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: reg

A wheel bearing WILL NOT create a 'clunking' sound. When a bearing goes out you will hear a grinding. CV joints can make the clunking sound as well as loose struts in the upper housing.

r.
Your right man...

Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you have the screws holding the rotors to the bearing?

Also make sure the sway bar bushings didn't break but would also make noise over bumps if it was the sway bar bushings.

Are the control arm bushings good?