Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

need new air filter, brake rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile need new air filter, brake rotors and pads

hey all

I have a 2004.5 Volvo S40 T5, all is still stock. need to change the brake pads and been thinking of getting new rotors too. what are the best pads? and should i go with the drilled and/or dimpled ones?

also, i want to change the stock air filter with a "sports" one. which is better, the red K&N or the blue Eurosport? will it affect my fuel consumption?

on another note, i want to change my tires too, want an all season performances ones, rubber i can count on! the current set will need to be changed after the summer (Michelin Radial XSE, size 205/50 R17). can i get wider and thinner ones on my current rims?

finally, it it normal not to get immediate acceleration when you push the pedal slightly, and when u push a bit more the car jumps! i want smoother acceleration during traffic!

thanks a lot guys

Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM

to the acceleration thing, yes, it's called turbo lag, when the turbo is spooling off the first 1500 RPM or so. And to the filter, if it is a cold air intake not only will it give you a much better sound but also possible better fuel economy (If you can resist hearing the turbo spool every time you hit the gas) And to rotors and pads, honestly, i would stick with OEM or go look at Eurosport and ask one of their reps.
-Alex

Old 05-20-2011, 03:11 PM

so nothing can be done about the turbo lag?

about the air filter, i'm not getting the typhoon/cone one, since it requires relocating the ECU which could lead to it overheating!!

VolvoWholesaleParts.com sells Genuine Volvo Parts

Eurosport Tuning: High Flow Sport Replacement Filter

which is better of these two?

thx dude

Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rotors: Zimmerman or Brembo are good for OEM style (ie. flat)
Pads: Hawk HPS (very good street performance, very low dust)

Air filter: Are you talking panel replacement or an intake (ie. K&N Typhoon)?
The stock air box has proven to be pretty free flowing.
I recently installed a K&N panel replacement. Power is improved by economy is about the same. The engine management will maintain the air/fuel ratio.

Tires: For all season, I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S or the Continental Extreme Contact DWS if you want something less expensive.

Stan

Old 05-21-2011, 06:20 AM

as i posted before, i would love to have an intake (ie. K&N Typhoon), but that would lead to relocating the ECU which may cause it to overheat!!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory location for the ECU is in the factory air box. Since you would be replacing the factory air box then, yes you will need to relocate the ECU when using a Typhoon and others like it. As stated in other places on this forum and other forums, there were some reports of ECUs overheating after the installation of the Typhoon. I believe that there was a slight redesign of the Typhoon to address this. There are many who use these intakes with no problem but no guarantee.

See link
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...K-amp-N-Filter

The factory air intake has proven to be pretty darn good at flowing air. You may not see much gain especially considering that you may be picking up more hot air from the engine bay with the open filter element unless you add some cold air duct work.

Last edited by AutoNaut; 05-21-2011 at 10:33 PM.