Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

New E10 Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New E10 Fuel

My S40 is an 08 1.8 model, will it accept the new E10 fuel being rolled out from September 1st.
If not do I need to get any alterations done.
Thanks

Old 08-04-2021, 09:11 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of interest what is the new E10 fuel? If I am not mistaken the only time engines needed change was when lead free became the norm , but thats years ago

Old 08-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

From the government website regarding this and Volvos:"E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Volvo cars with petrol engines introduced to the market since 1976 based upon servicing and other conditions according to the equipment and material with which the vehicle was originally equipped.

E10 petrol is not cleared for a limited number of S/V40 models with petrol engines produced in the mid-1990s with engine type 1.8 GDI."

It appears the engine in question is the B4184S Engine.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:32 PM
Default E10 fuel, in volvo S40 1.8 2008

There no clear information, other than if volvo S40 or V40, built pre 1976, bug after its find, but not for 1.8 S40 or V40's
I'm still non The wiser

Old 08-05-2021, 02:52 AM

Go to the government website put in the registration of your vehicle it will say *SOME* s40 models are incompatable check with your dealer. Check with volvo dealer. I translate this to incompatable.
I coincidentally aquired a dice thing a few days ago and one of the parameters on vida is to check on there is ethanol in fuel measurement. It didn't work in my car, no reading from that.

But let me tell you a story from 2 months ago leading up to the purchase of the vida dice thing.

I went to the asda garage about 2 months ago and put in £40 of the e10 fuel. There was probs 3 or 4 gallons in the tank. Didn't even realise the e10 thing was a thing. Didnt notice it at the cheap **** asda pump handle.
Maybe coincidence, but i lived this nightmare. It ran fine - for about an hour. It was a busy day with alot of driving, i did about 8 trips here and there, totalling about 50 miles. It was a hot day, the 1st or 2nd REALLY hot day this year, then it misfire later the same day, chuggy a.f.
I thought no probs change oil and spark plugs will be reet. (because that fixed that about 3 years ago) and my bi-yearly oil change was overdue. But i had just topped it up as it burns oil also, so wasn't too worried.
Anyway, changed them and the misfire continued.
ompression test, 0 on cylinder 2. 147 on the other 3.
Took it to mechanic he undid the intake, bent my oil dipstick pipe, detached the exhaust and APPARENTLY took the head off and sent it to machine shop as the exhaust valves all carboned up.
There they apparently replaced and reseated 2 exhaust valves, apparently changed the valve stem seals on the other 6 exhaust valves, new head gasket and bolts, some fresh black gasket maker spilt on my air intake and battery box, and it runs fine again. Got it back with oil seeping from between the transmission and the motor underneath, the aircon hisses in the engine bay when i switch the engine off now, i've had to top up the coolant twice, the engine light came back on - i checked the code egr valve malfunction. Ordered a new egr, meanwhile waiting for delivery I bought a £25 can of egr cleaner - put that in the intake - it actually worked im shocked, Thats sat here waiting for my next week off lol
The dipstick wasn't attached to the intake at the top, I had to use both hands and wrestle the dipstick down the kink in the pipe he made and he overfilled the oil by about 1 1/2 inches over max up the wire. Then the next day there was a huge puddle of oil on my driveway as when i pushed the dipstick into the pipe i interrupted the seal between the pipe and the engine. So i just ordered a new one £40 thanks, and a new bolt £1.66 omg he stole my bolt. Changed them now.
Now sometimes when i start the car now i get a nice big cloud of blue smoke coming out because i dont think he did the valve seals. But it runs.
Put a bottle of injector cleaner in a near empty tank, didn't help.
Put a bottle of cat cleaner in a near empty tank, didn't help.
Put some of that oil seal stuff in the oil when i changed it (and the bloody dipstick pipe) it hasn't helped.
Now i go to tesco and get the 91 e5 stuff, one could go to any petrol station asside from asda (not sure about morrisons) and get e5.

Mine is s40 2.0 petrol B4204S3

It might just be me because i've decided the mechic is a scumbag, but i think my intake flaps are louder now as well. Litterally in two minds about weather to buy another car and fix this thing myself, fully loaded with how to remove the cams without touching the timng chain cover, or using the damn cars last mile to drive through his damn shop with.

e5 and e10 are the ethanol amount in the fuel. I think theyre saying ethanol can degrade some seals or gaskets in some fuel systems - thats about as much information as i got from them (so useful!)
So in 10 liters of e10 fuel there should be about 1 liter of ethanol.
In 10 liters of e5 there will be about 500ml of ethanol.

The final edit. I am an idiot and i wouldn't recomend doing that, but heed my words! Steer clear of the environmentally friendly e10!

Last edited by keeps; 08-05-2021 at 03:45 AM.