Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

New here with problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a sensible person and there has to be an answer for everything but I'm beginning to think Volvos have a mind of their own. My sons S40 with CE light and code for misfire in #3, turned out the threading for that plug was stripped. Bought a kit fixed that and put in Volvo OEM plugs and all was great for five hours. CE light back on and one minute the care is running great and the next it is hesitating. Now today with the cold weather the CE light is off and the car is back to running great! At least for now! Love the car but hate the issues!!!

Old 11-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orchidcrazy
ES6T - nah, I was referring to the "the problem isn't the car, it's the owner. And the mechanic." comment. Got under my thin skin, but this morning I figured it is true. As owners that don't do repairs, you put your faith in those who do. We thought even with high miles, that if we cared for the car properly (which we thought we were doing - even after taking out the oil pan) that we would have a decent car for the teen which would also provide safety for him. Stuff happens though right, but goodness OUCH!!!!

CarCrazyMom - I wouldn't put off having the engine mount addressed - trust me....
We had the motor mount fixed, coil packs, wires n new plugs. Still CE light. We them found 3 plug was loose n a kit had to be bought to rethread plug area. Done n CE still on. Car runs great then out of the blue is hesitates and low on go and then back to driving ok. Today after the cold night CE light went off and call have been driving fine all day. His gas tank is low and was going to fill it when he left today. It seems each time he gets gas trouble starts. Yes, tried numerous gas stations! Hoping the car runs good from here on. It's frustrating!!!!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CarCrazyMom
It seems each time he gets gas trouble starts.
Buy an OBD2 code reader. Under $20 shipped at Amazon. Then you won't just be guessing.

In the meantime, make sure whoever fills the tank properly replaces the gas cap. For another shot in the dark, clean your MAF sensor.