Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

New Key Fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Key Fob not working

HI All,

Had to order a new key fob for my 2006 volvo s40. I ordered the right key fob and it looks exactly the same fob as my old one, however when I transfer the contents of the old fob my Car tells me "Key Error Try Again". The old fob works it's just in a very bad shape.

Any ideas why this is? The plastic seems identical...

Original fob on the left and new one on the right. I measured the key part that goes into the ignition and it is identical.. So I have no idea what is confusing the computer

Any clues?
Thanks

Old 02-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You need to program it.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
You need to program it.
is that something I can do? Or is this a dealer job?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy83
HI All,

Had to order a new key fob for my 2006 volvo s40. I ordered the right key fob and it looks exactly the same fob as my old one, however when I transfer the contents of the old fob my Car tells me "Key Error Try Again". The old fob works it's just in a very bad shape.

Any ideas why this is? The plastic seems identical...

Original fob on the left and new one on the right. I measured the key part that goes into the ignition and it is identical.. So I have no idea what is confusing the computer

Any clues?
Thanks
The older ones had a small magnet-like chip that also needed to be transferred over. Not sure about your vintage though. See my video for reference.

I can’t see why it would need to be programmed as long as you take all the bits and pieces less the shell and tx over.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zippy83

is that something I can do? Or is this a dealer job?
You can with VIDA, a DiCE unit and a 3 day subscription to allow downloads from Volvo. Otherwise it's a dealer thing.

The transponder is in the portion that gets inserted. Not sure I'd cut open a new key to try and swap them. Or cut open your old key and risk damage requiring a tow.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine

The older ones had a small magnet-like chip that also needed to be transferred over. Not sure about your vintage though. See my video for reference.

https://youtu.be/A0gwknY3c4I

I can’t see why it would need to be programmed as long as you take all the bits and pieces less the shell and tx over.
yea my fob does not have that much in it. The only thing that needs to be transferd is the green mitherboard peace (some call it the chip). The rest of the fob is just plastic. I am not sure what would there be to program.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
You can with VIDA, a DiCE unit and a 3 day subscription to allow downloads from Volvo. Otherwise it's a dealer thing.

The transponder is in the portion that gets inserted. Not sure I'd cut open a new key to try and swap them. Or cut open your old key and risk damage requiring a tow.
hmmm now I am cirious to see whats in there. I dont have Vida and all that stuff that is needed and dont feel like paying $350 for a job that takes 30 sec.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

The green board is not the "chip". Like I said, the "chip" is in the part that is inserted.

Takes more than 30 seconds and costs less than $350. Unless that is a used key you bought, I'm not sure if those can be reprogrammed to another car. A new key would be around that price including programming. Either way, those are your options.

Last edited by ES6T; 02-16-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

If it was me (keeping in mind that I don't have the sense to stop before I get in over my head...) I'd try to gently split the "nose" of the new "key", to get to the immobilizer "chip" that's inside. If you can do this in such a way that you can glue it back together, THEN you can do the same thing to your old key, removing the "chip" that your car is programmed for, and put it into the new key, glue it back together, and you're off to the races.

If it doesn't work and you ruin the new key, you're really only out a few bucks, and it seems that the new key is fairly worthless anyway (since it's likely that Volvo would make you buy a new one anyway to get it programmed).

Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

If his "new" fob is actually used, that's what I would try as well. But when he said "new" I thought he meant new.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

My assumption is that the new fob is new, but non-Volvo. My other assumption is that the nose of the key contains the transponder chip that is (hopefully) very similar to the one in his "real key". If so, I believe that placing the old transponder chip in the new plastic housing (and gluing it back together, of course) will cause the immobilizer to recognize the "new" key (a relative term, since only the plastic is new - the rest would be from his old key, including the remote board and the transponder chip).

Old 02-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by habbyguy
If it was me (keeping in mind that I don't have the sense to stop before I get in over my head...) I'd try to gently split the "nose" of the new "key", to get to the immobilizer "chip" that's inside. If you can do this in such a way that you can glue it back together, THEN you can do the same thing to your old key, removing the "chip" that your car is programmed for, and put it into the new key, glue it back together, and you're off to the races.

If it doesn't work and you ruin the new key, you're really only out a few bucks, and it seems that the new key is fairly worthless anyway (since it's likely that Volvo would make you buy a new one anyway to get it programmed).
I’m of same mind. Carefully cut it open. Hard to image you will do more damage than what a tube of JB weld can fix.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:53 PM

So yes there is a chip in the very front of the fob. On the new fob it just pops right out, however on the old fob it seems to be glued to the shaft. There is no way I can pop it out. I tried to get in there with a razor knife and free it up but it wont budge.. I am affraid if I cut open the old fob that I might demage the chip. I would had to use a drimmel tool to get it to open up.

Now the good thing is that I can transfer more then half of the contents from the new fob to the old one so that would help with some issues I had. I can see how volvo would have done this (glued the cip in) so you would have to come back to them.