Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

New Volvo owner: Your thoughts on 2005 S40 T5

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Volvo owner: Your thoughts on 2005 S40 T5

Hi all,

I would like to hear some opinions as I am considering buying this car with 60k miles. Is this car considered ''good'',that is reliable, good performance, non too much maintenance etc. This would be by first Volvo as I have always driven Hondas and Acuras.

Do you need to change the timing belt at 60k miles with these cars? (this would be my first Volvo). I have read 105k miles is when the first change is due, is this right?

I have also read that spark plugs must be changed at this time (60k miles), how much should this cost

How is the maintenance with Volvos? Can I expected prices not to far from what it costs to repair and maintain an Acura? (I'm expecting a little higher but nothing astronomical).

Can anyone confirm that the bolt patern is 5*108mm? What other volvo model's wheels would fit?

Should I always get any regular work done on the car by a Volvo mechanic or can my regular ''ace of all cars'' mechanic do the job?

Anything special I should look for on these cars?

Any other comments?

Thanks all, any comment would be appreciated.

Last edited by SimBonds; 07-19-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Default My 2004.5 S40 T5

I just bought a 2004.5 S40 T5 with 80K miles. I had a couple of things go wrong with it in the first month. 2 air conditioner issues and the alarm goes off sometimes for no reason. The other comment I would have is that the throttle is touchy and the brake pedal and gas pedal are a little too close.
Despite all of that I really like the car. Handles very well and It's pretty quick too.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got 69K on my V50 T5 and it is running great. 60K sounds early for the timing belt. I believe it is more like 100K miles.

Spark plugs are easy to change on this engine. The 2.4i is more involved as you have to remove the intake plenum. This is not the case for the T5.

I do most of the maintenance myself. If it is something very specific to Volvo, I go to the dealer. For general stuff, any good mechanic should be able to do the job. I used to have an Acura Integra. Maintenance cost is about the same.

For some Volvo rims you may need spacers.

Stan

Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 AM

Thanks guys. Any opinion on the AWD vs FWD?
There doesn't seem to be much of a price difference in the used car market so unless there are known problems I'll try to get the AWD since we have winter here.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SimBonds
Thanks guys. Any opinion on the AWD vs FWD?
There doesn't seem to be much of a price difference in the used car market so unless there are known problems I'll try to get the AWD since we have winter here.
It's nice to have the AWD here in New England but tires are as much/more important. The AWD system is supposedly not as good as those on Audis or Subarus, but in all honesty I can't tell the difference in wheel spin between my S40 and the Subaru Outback it replaced.

I had an angle gear leak on mine at 3K miles, which is supposedly an issue on other Volvo AWD models but I have not heard about complaints on the S40. No other problems so far after 16K miles (not that I'm expecting any). The T5 engine has plenty of power for this car, and I don't notice much turbo lag at all.

I'm expecting more in maintenance/repairs once the car is out of warranty, mainly based on Volvo's reliability reputation...but I've also had my fair share of problems on Japanese brand cars I've owned so I just take it as part of car ownership.

Edit: Mine is a 2009...not sure how much was upgraded/addressed from the 2005 model.

Last edited by hammer1234; 07-20-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:03 PM

I've had an 2005 s40 T5 AWD. I bought it with 18k miles on it, and just rolled over 83k miles.

I've only had a couple of problems with the car. At around 50k miles I had issues with my turbo and had to replace a part that vented excess pressure when the turbo spooled up too high, cost around 300 to have it done.
Second problem is a rear o2 sensor that just happened.

The car has pro's and con's just like any other. If you like to do your own engine work it can be a pain in the *** due to space constraints, everything is packed in there pretty tight. The first time i changed the oil filter was a struggle, but you get the hang of it.
Parts usually run pretty expensive, but you are going to run into the same problems with any other borderline foreign luxury car. I would not recommend dealer maintenance due to the high prices, as the first time i took mine in their oil change (oil, filter, air filter) and safety check cost $300. I live in CT so maybe its just a local screwing of the people.

Its fun to drive as a 6 speed manual and the AWD is great in weather as long as you keep good tires on it. I think my last set cost around $800. If you keep it maintained and run good gas the car will pretty much never give you a problem.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Here's my 2 cents...

I bought a 2005 S40 T5 AWD in April/2010 with 60k kilometers (~40k miles).

After a month I had to have the AOC (active on command) pump for the AWD replaced. Cost me $1k. Other than that (and I'm hoping those types of repairs are few and far between!) I love the car.

Previously drove an 1995 Volvo 850 and put 300k kilometers (~190k miles) on it. Sold it to my daughter and she's up to 350k and it still looks and runs like new.

When I sold the 850 I bought a brand new Nissan Altima but after a year I sold it and got back into a Volvo. No regrets.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Default New Volvo driver not yet a mechanic

Originally Posted by SimBonds
Hi all,

I would like to hear some opinions as I am considering buying this car with 60k miles. Is this car considered ''good'',that is reliable, good performance, non too much maintenance etc. This would be by first Volvo as I have always driven Hondas and Acuras.

Do you need to change the timing belt at 60k miles with these cars? (this would be my first Volvo). I have read 105k miles is when the first change is due, is this right?

I have also read that spark plugs must be changed at this time (60k miles), how much should this cost

How is the maintenance with Volvos? Can I expected prices not to far from what it costs to repair and maintain an Acura? (I'm expecting a little higher but nothing astronomical).

Can anyone confirm that the bolt patern is 5*108mm? What other volvo model's wheels would fit?

Should I always get any regular work done on the car by a Volvo mechanic or can my regular ''ace of all cars'' mechanic do the job?

Anything special I should look for on these cars?

Any other comments?

Thanks all, any comment would be appreciated.
The recommended replacement mileage for a Volvo timing belt is 105K Miles. There have been compelling posts on this forum about getting in and taking a look at you timing belt condition before the 105K miles elapse. https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...lt+replacement I have just purchased a 2005 V70 2.5T with 50000 miles and I will be looking at the belt condition soon.

Volvos are as proprietary as they can be with their codes so you may want a good Volvo dealership and this forum to survive.

You have already found the most valuable resource for Volvo info so you are off to a good start.